VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m currently experiencing an issue with my rear wheel not aligning properly with my drive belt. I can adjust the tension to within spec, but no matter how I adjust the alignment but I cannot get the belt to come off the right side of the pulley. When I use the adjuster to achieve this, the axle is so far out of whack that the wheel will barely spin and the bearings start to make sounds of unhappiness . Any suggestions from the hive mind? I’m a blonde one away from making some .070 spacers to put between the hub and the pulley. Please halp.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Do you spin the wheel in both directions? It should not center, turn one way it should go to right side of pulley, turn the other way it should go to left side. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I've spent a lot of time under my Vics striving for perfect alignment and it can be a chore sometimes. My '99 tracks exactly in the center of the rear sprocket with about an 1/8" on either side but my '03 TCD & Vision both ran to the outside. The best takeaway from the shop manual is to only use the left adjuster after you set the tension. View attachment 508291

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rotating the tire clockwise from the right side and am only using the left adjuster for alignment. As for the spacers, I have the longer one installed on the right. As far as I have read on numerous threads, I seem to be adjusting it correctly. Upon further inspection of the backside of the pulley, it appears that a spacer had been installed at one point. Anyone ever seen this?

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I've spent so much time trying to get the rear end aligned but my pulley is so out of true that I can't really do anything to fix it. I don't know why it would be that far out but I did find that getting both adjusters with the same number of threads out of the nut is a good starting point. After checking the tension, I measure both bolts and adjust the left so it matches the right then make minor adjustments while spinning the wheel forward then checking my centering by rotating it in reverse. From your picture, it looks like not a spacer but maybe it was ground down a bit to hopefully true it up. You'll probably want to replace the bolts when reinstalling that pulley also.

One other thought, when adjusting the alignment, I keep the axle nut about 1/8 turn past "finger tight" then tap on the brake rotor or nut with a 2x4 to make sure the left side is pushed forward.

Is it possible your swingarm is not aligned? I've never looked that far into it but if the whole thing is sideways, could cause a lot of issues as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here we go down the rabbit hole. Anyone have an idea of how to go about checking swing arm alignment? (Side note: any bad rep for Sinister Wheels? Looking into them for a pulley. )

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I figure just check the swingarm bolt and bushings. Maybe just try to move it side to side by hand. It was a bit of a reach, but something I would inevitably check if I was in your position. I'll be working on getting a new pulley myself, so if you decide to get one from them, please let us know your experience. I've never heard of Sinister, so maybe no news is good news?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to the technical line for Sinister, they machine their pulleys and rims in house with a 4 week lead time for a 70T pulley. $465 shipped. In the interim, I’ll check the swing arm out.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Mine tracks to the outside, but does not rub the sprocket rim. But there is a very tiny gap, so it's close. No issues with this. It is aligned, but just tracks right a bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.