2015 Gunner will not shift | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

2015 Gunner will not shift

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by HEAVY-DUTY, May 24, 2016.

1. HEAVY-DUTY

HEAVY-DUTY Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2015 Gunner
    Greetings-

I bought a new 2015 Gunner (my third Vic) and, at 4,200 miles, it became stuck in a lower gear - nearly impossible to get the bike into 3rd gear and/or back into 1st gear. I was able to limp home for four miles in 2nd gear. While on the way home, there was no evident gear grinding noise, etc. The clutch cable was adjusted to specs.

I was aware of the Polaris recall relative to the shift ratchet assemblies on some 2015 models. The following is the issued recall, verbatim: "Polaris has issued a recall on approximately one-hundred twenty-two 2015 Victory Motorcycles across a wide range of models because of potential problems with the powertrain. The bikes in question might have problems shifting gears because on certain shift ratchet assemblies, the detent arm spring was installed incorrectly. Motorcycles with the improperly installed detent arm return spring may unexpectedly change gears or drop out of gear. Models affected by the recall include the 2015 Victory Cross Country, Cross Country 8-Ball, Cross Country Tour, Gunner, Hammer 8-Ball, High-Ball, Magnum, Vision Tour ABS and Vegas 8-Ball motorcycles manufactured August 11, 2014, to September 2, 2014".

I asked my dealer to run my VIN against the recall; he stated my bike was not affected. I figured that, not having gear grinding noise, a properly adjusted clutch cable, and the above recall on the books, my best guess was that there was something not quite right with the shift ratchet assembly. Though my bike is still under warranty, I wanted no one to fiddle with it but me. So, taking a chance, I ordered the repair manual, the detent arm spring, the shifter assembly - which includes the fork - a new primary gasket, and an oil change kit. Total cost at @ $325.00. I also picked up some gasket spray which is sticky and designed to hold the gasket in place on the engine side of the primary. Believe me, you will want to use this since it is difficult enough to line up the shifter shaft with the primary exit hole, place the clutch arm in the proper position, all at the same time when the stator magnet is trying to pull the primary cover out of your hands. The gasket staying in place is one less thing to worry about. I warmed up the bike, drained the oil, then pulled the primary apart.

Long story short, the problem was not an improperly installed detent arm spring; the issue was that the fork was not sliding smoothly against the flat metal "guide" against which it is connected. The fork was binding and, sometimes the fork would become stuck in the compressed position. This was all felt by hand when I removed it from the primary. When the bike was running, and when the fork would bind up or become completely stuck, the bike would not shift unless I rattled the hell out of the shifter which, apparently, was enough to change gears to get it into 2nd to get home.

Where is this fork, some might wonder? It is obviously inside the primary, attached to the shaft which exits the primary; the shaft is what your shifter linkage is connected to. When I picked up the new assembly, the fork slid like butter against its adjoining piece - without it even being yet lubricated. Bingo!

If you are experiencing similar problems, give this a shot. The job is very easy to do; however, if you need advice, please holler.

BTW: First Vic, 2006 Vegas, bought with 1700 miles on it - it seeped oil at the top front of the primary cover; Second Vic, bought new 2013 Hardball - it seeped oil right away at the top front of the primary cover; Third Vic, this new 2015 Gunner - it seeped oil right away at the top front of the primary cover. After changing the gasket myself, no more oil seepage anywhere from the primary cover. Bingo!

Mods:
    -Conquest Customs Octanes exhaust with O2 sensor plugs
    -LLoydz Timing Wheel set at 4 degrees advanced
    -Lloydz VFC-III fuel controller
    -Factory airbox removed; Lloydz airbox installed
    All basic stuff, I'm well aware; however...= HEAVY-DUTY!!!

I hope this helps out any and all with a similar problem. Again, shout if you need anything.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

Bikeless
    Factory Pro sells a shift kit.... I have it, it works pretty good. Put an oil drain plug crush washer over the end of the shift shaft (between it and the case) to eliminate side- to-side play. Get yourself a Cometic primary gasket.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  3. HEAVY-DUTY

HEAVY-DUTY Member

2015 Gunner
    If the new gasket leaks, I'll try the Cometic.
    Thanks.

4. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

Bikeless