VOG Forum banner

2015 Cross Country for $3600? Yep! It'll buff out.

10376 Views 80 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  Captain Obvious
So, I answered an ad on Craigslist, asking $3950 for a 2015 Cross Country. Turns out it wasn't a misprint, but the bike was totaled. Heck, I figured I could part it out and make a little money. But to my surprise, the frame and engine were unharmed. The forks, fairing, saddlebags, tank and rear fender were all destroyed, and a few parts stolen. But I paid $3600 for it and that gives me lots of money left over to buy parts! I should have it on the road by early December!
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

· Registered
642 Posts
I think I see a blank canvas for a custom build without the guilt of striping down a brand new bike. Great find, you can run with that thing any way you like. Contact a custom builder and try to score some take off parts or go custom yourself. Keep your camera handy, I always forget to take shots of the progress during the work. Take your time and good luck.

· Registered
906 Posts
Congrats on the find. You are gonna be done in 3 weeks. Dude are you retired? You must have plenty of time and plenty of money. So here are a few thoughts or questions running thru my mind. 1st build or tons of builds in the past? Signature has a previous owned bike was a victory so is he aware of the open road of opportunity for this build? Is this a cosmetic build or power build? The radio is hanging by wires is the odometer LCD read out display working? Is the wire harness tore? What is wrong with the gas tank? A saddlebag is laying on the ground bottom picture how bad is that jacked. Yea the frame and engine is fine but dude the prices unless found thru the forums,ebay etc if you buy from Ma Vic are stupid! You have True Duels Freedom Exhaust are both sides tore up or just 1 side? You must be a wrench or a body guy to be done in 3 weeks or so? I just finished my 1st build of a 2012 Cross Country and the price was cheaper than new. But still not cheap. On the VOG are a few guys doing builds Chingon XC comes to mind if I am correct he is in Cali if you run into issues with your build he might answer a few questions. Don't forget the VOG a lot of old posts and threads solved things for me. You can ask a question here and somebody probably will help you out. It is definitely something to be proud when you are done. Anybody who has not finished one does not realize the amount of thinking that one does to make their project end up right where they want it to. Right color, Right Bars, Right Exhaust, Blacked or Chromed and how much............ on and on....... only you know because you are making it yours. Best wishes on the build.

· Registered
528 Posts
I've got to get on craigslist more diligently... that's pretty sweet!

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got to get on craigslist more diligently... that's pretty sweet!
Yep, I spend a lot of time on eBay and Craigslist looking for such deals.

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats on the find. You are gonna be done in 3 weeks. Dude are you retired? You must have plenty of time and plenty of money. So here are a few thoughts or questions running thru my mind. 1st build or tons of builds in the past? Signature has a previous owned bike was a victory so is he aware of the open road of opportunity for this build? Is this a cosmetic build or power build? The radio is hanging by wires is the odometer LCD read out display working? Is the wire harness tore? What is wrong with the gas tank? A saddlebag is laying on the ground bottom picture how bad is that jacked. Yea the frame and engine is fine but dude the prices unless found thru the forums,ebay etc if you buy from Ma Vic are stupid! You have True Duels Freedom Exhaust are both sides tore up or just 1 side? You must be a wrench or a body guy to be done in 3 weeks or so? I just finished my 1st build of a 2012 Cross Country and the price was cheaper than new. But still not cheap. On the VOG are a few guys doing builds Chingon XC comes to mind if I am correct he is in Cali if you run into issues with your build he might answer a few questions. Don't forget the VOG a lot of old posts and threads solved things for me. You can ask a question here and somebody probably will help you out. It is definitely something to be proud when you are done. Anybody who has not finished one does not realize the amount of thinking that one does to make their project end up right where they want it to. Right color, Right Bars, Right Exhaust, Blacked or Chromed and how much............ on and on....... only you know because you are making it yours. Best wishes on the build.
Thanks for the kind words and the advice. I've built, restored and repaired hundreds of cars and motorcycles over the years. Some turn out great, some not so much. I've been pretty successful finding used parts and take offs on eBay and Craigslist. I also have purchased a number of parts from Cheapcycleparts.com at better prices than the dealer. I do as much searching for deals on vehicles and parts as I do working on them it seems.

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I see a blank canvas for a custom build without the guilt of striping down a brand new bike. Great find, you can run with that thing any way you like. Contact a custom builder and try to score some take off parts or go custom yourself. Keep your camera handy, I always forget to take shots of the progress during the work. Take your time and good luck.
It's a good idea, I thought about it as well. However, I'm just going to put it back together stock for now. I might do a custom paint job however. It already has a high performance exhaust and a power commander. I don't think I need to do anything else to the drive train.

Reactions: spence

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In the immortal words of the Knights who say Knee: "It's only a flesh wound."
And I don't have to search for a shrubbery......there are tumbleweeds imbedded in the bike from it's crash.

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got the front end done, new forks and fender. The wheel cleaned up nice, but there is one small dent in the rim. I'll be keeping my eyes open for a better one. The rear fender is in new condition, but will need paint.

Reactions: Geoff_C

· Registered
1,785 Posts
I was rear ended earlier this summer. I found that you could buy a complete set of saddle bags through the accessory catalog cheaper than buying parts. I got mine for a very good price from Honda of east Toledo. They are a Victory dealer and big ebay seller.

· Registered
205 Posts
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.