VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently install the battery on the bike, and it doesn't want to start? I tried to jumpstart it and nothing? every winter I remove the battery and keep it on my " Yuasa SmartShot 900 Battery Charger * Maintainer " till the following season Nothing was wrong with the bike the previous season. I keep it in a public storage over the winter. after trying to start it with no luck had the battery check @ Battery+Bulbs and the battery is good. ok so whats going on? I install the battery everything is nice and tight, I turn on the switch, all lights turn on, I check the blinkers, horn, etc. but when I try the switch to crank the bike it does nothing? almost feels like it drains everything when I try to crank it then when I let go all lights and everything still on and works, it doesn't start, im at a lost here? any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
26,123 Posts
The most simple thing first.

Did you turn the "run" switch on?

If so, is the fuel pump priming?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The most simple thing first.

Did you turn the "run" switch on?

If so, is the fuel pump priming?
yes I turned on the switch, and yes I hear what I believe is the fuel pump priming. but like I said, I press the start button, I get nothing. very strange since I haven't had no issue with the bike. I thought maybe the battery didn't have enough juice to crank it. but when I had it check it was good. so now I'm at a lost. I wanna make sure I didn't miss anything that I can handle before calling the dealer and having to spend more money that I don't need too

·
Super Moderator
26,123 Posts
Fuses?

Checked wires? I've seen many guys who store their bike fall victim to mice making a home in their bike building a nest and chewing wires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fuses?

Checked wires? I've seen many guys who store their bike fall victim to mice making a home in their bike building a nest and chewing wires.
thats one thing I check, for dropping or any nesting. I friend told me about that. will check again
im wondering if its that starter. cause all I'm getting is a click when I press on the start button. but that can be because of me pressing on the button not sure. I check the battery and its good I haven't check the spark plug, it should be good. hopefully. I've had this bike since 2015 only ride it on warm season and not everyday, wondering if their is a relay issue? itching to ride and this **** has to happen not good

·
Super Moderator
26,123 Posts
One more simple thing. Is it in N?

If so, I think I would start with the starter too.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
When you went to Batteries +, did they load test the battery or simply check the voltage when they said it was good?

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Do you have a meter or 12v test light?

Check for power at the breaker . I think it's on the left side just in front of the battery.

When hot shotting with a car make sure to have the car running before hooking up the cables to the bike.

You can put the clamp across the breaker posts with the cable side of the clamp on the silver post to bypass the breaker.

Have you tried with the clutch lever pulled in?

·
Super Moderator
26,123 Posts
When hot shotting with a car make sure to have the car running before hooking up the cables to the bike.
I've always seen it suggested to jump a bike with a vehicle with the vehicle turned off.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I don't believe they load test the battery, just check it with a meter
on the counter table
If they didn't load test the battery, it is possible that you have a bad cell. The battery is able to take and hold a charge, but no longer has the cranking amps to turn the motor over. I would have it tested properly and replace if need be. That is more than likely your problem.

You can test it yourself by hooking a meter to the battery and hit the start button. Watch how low the amps drop. If they stay up in the 10-12 range, you are good and the problem is somewhere else. If it drops lower, replace your battery.

Reactions: VicVisionBulldog

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I've always seen it suggested to jump a bike with a vehicle with the vehicle turned off.
Most of the china made cables made today won't carry enough amps to start a small 4cyl with the car running. It's the start up spike from the jump car that can cause issues .

Always turn all accessories including ac/defroster off.

I drove 300 miles with my 30 year old cables to start my daughters car in 30 seconds that they tried numerous times to start.

·
Super Moderator
26,123 Posts
Most of the china made cables made today won't carry enough amps to start a small 4cyl with the car running. It's the start up spike from the jump car that can cause issues .

Always turn all accessories including ac/defroster off.

I drove 300 miles with my 30 year old cables to start my daughters car in 30 seconds that they tried numerous times to start.
Interesting. I don't have any cheap cables so I guess I've never had that problem. I really don't use them much since I have a jump box. I had a big one that worked great for years but I need to replace it's battery. In my truck now I carry one of the small lithium ones but I've yet to get to use it. It says it will start large trucks but if it won't I have my nice cables too. Usually it's not me that needs them but someone else. Same goes for my lock out kit.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Same goes for my lock out kit.
You're the first cop that (says so) can actually us one.

I thought they just made you guys carry them around in your cars.

I embarrassed my mother-in-law one day she locked her keys in her car. Old slide lock GM. Two cops had been at it for 15 minutes by the time I got there . Bent the old slimjim a little , slid it in pulled up, done.

Mother-in-law says , "he works on cars he's not a thief". Her whole face turned red that day and she wasn't even pissed at me , at the time.

Couple of other times I had to ask to use their slimjim, after painfully watching for a few minutes.

With the cars these days you almost have to have a Big easy and a bladder.

·
Super Moderator
26,123 Posts
You're the first cop that (says so) can actually us one.

I thought they just made you guys carry them around in your cars.

I embarrassed my mother-in-law one day she locked her keys in her car. Old slide lock GM. Two cops had been at it for 15 minutes by the time I got there . Bent the old slimjim a little , slid it in pulled up, done.

Mother-in-law says , "he works on cars he's not a thief". Her whole face turned red that day and she wasn't even pissed at me , at the time.

Couple of other times I had to ask to use their slimjim, after painfully watching for a few minutes.

With the cars these days you almost have to have a Big easy and a bladder.
I love my Big Easy but I can work my slimjim too. The Big Easy is fast but not as fast as a slimjim and an old car.

I keep mine in my truck. I've helped plenty of people out but I don't tell them I'm a cop. Just a random guy with the right gear. Same with the jump box.

Reactions: jmstang302

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If they didn't load test the battery, it is possible that you have a bad cell. The battery is able to take and hold a charge, but no longer has the cranking amps to turn the motor over. I would have it tested properly and replace if need be. That is more than likely your problem.

You can test it yourself by hooking a meter to the battery and hit the start button. Watch how low the amps drop. If they stay up in the 10-12 range, you are good and the problem is somewhere else. If it drops lower, replace your battery.
thats gonna be the first stop ill do to have them do that load test

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.