2014 Chieftain question | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

2014 Chieftain question

Discussion in 'Indian Chieftain' started by shane6727, Aug 15, 2019.

1. shane6727

shane6727 Member

Hey guys,
    I have an opportunity to buy a 14 Chieftain with 9k miles on it. My question is this, every bike his it’s gremlins, is the 14 a solid platform and we’re there any common issues to look out for ect. I’ have been a long time Victory owner and am looking for some local knowledge on the 14 so I know what to expect. Thanks in advance. PS I have read a buch of reviews and watched a ton of videos on the bike but nothing compares to owners input.

2. notaharley

notaharley Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    VISION, BABY!
    No, nothing to look out for.

The only thing you may notice is SOME bikes experience piston slap noise, which sounds like a noisy lifter.
    It has no effect on reliability. If you wear a full face helmet, you may never notice it.

IF your bike develops the noise, it is 90% curable with a fuel tuner.
    My bike has this noise... it is manageable and if I am playing the radio I can't hear it.

That's it.
    They are great, solid, easy to maintain bikes.

I have a 2015.
    20190226_140741.jpg

3. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    My riding buddy has a 14 Chieftain in his stable. Should have close to 40k on it by now. He did a coast to coast to coast and a 1k IBA ride the 1st year he had it. It's been a great bike .

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mikekoz13

Mikekoz13 Well-Known Member

2014 Indian Chieftain, 2016 Cross Country, 2008 Victory Vision
    I have a 2014 Chieftain..... bought it new. I have just over 18k miles on it. The only issue I've had is the gear position sensor crapped out a couple of years back. Covered under warranty. Great bike but be warned the ergonomics on it a more like a Harley than a Victory.

5. Teflon Mike

Teflon Mike Well-Known Member

2014 Vegas 8 Ball & 2017 chieftain
    Low ball the **** out of it. Buyers market and Polaris is offering
    $2500 incentive to move leftover '19s. Word on the street is that they did not debut new models at sturgis because it would further devalue '19 inventory sitting on the floor. Which I'm told there is plenty of. Be willing to walk away and get that bike for a song.

'14s had fading leather, rattling windshields, fading led screens (pre ride command) that were hard to see in sunlight, and.... the dreaded clacker. Engines that made loud metallic noises for a number of reasons. Among some are loose tolerances on internal parts that meant Polaris saved money on cheap parts that are "within spec" so it worked and will hold up, but will make obnoxious noises because uniformity of internal parts was put behind the bottom line in terms of importance. Although, most clackers are cured with a fuel tuner and tune because the factory settings had the spark timing way too advanced (for EPA purposes I read?).

Also a lot ov people complain about engine heat. I'm not gonna lie. It gets hot. Some people have deleted their catalytic converters and claimed heat reduction. I still have mine in because it hasn't bothered me enough to get rid of it and I expect some heat on an air cooled motor. Plus I live in the north and we only get a handful of 90 degree plus days and that is the only time it is bothersome.

Take it for a spin. It's not a bad bike and the issues sound worse than it is. I have a '17 and so far it's been a good buy. It has its strengths and weaknesses, but so does victory.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Xcelhen

Xcelhen New Member

Vision

7. Xcelhen

Xcelhen New Member

Vision
    If you're still mulling over getting a 14 the only other issue to consider is the one year only VCM---(Vehicle Control Module)
    If you want to add LED front lighting you will need to get a 2015 to 2018 unit (approx $475.00 NU) or blow codes ---adding resistors and such is a cheaper fix if you stay with the 14 VCM but its arguably more involved and problematic. Indian at the start apparently didn't foresee the popularity and benefits of the trend toward LED's then. As one of the other brothers in this thread mentioned going from a Vic to an Injun is quite an adjustment on---I currently own 3 Visions / 1 CCT and 1 TC and Chieftain by feels way too cramp and more confined by comparison---BUT the Indian is relevant while the Vics remain sadly in the rear view mirror of its step brother and motorcycle lore.

8. JayFL726

JayFL726 Well-Known Member

2011 Victory Cross Country/2005 Dyna
    All Good Answers know several that have had no problems with a 2014 and others have seen complaints about on a Forum , but can see complaints about every model made as far as that goes .. Teflon Mike and Xcelhen both had Informative answers to this .. My 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse was a Jewel for 24,000 Miles but it's totaled now and got a great buy on my 2011 XC with no complaints ..