VOG Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys. New here so I apologize if this is somewhere else, and any help is greatly appreciated. So I put some Vance and Hines slip on on my bike (took some modifying but got it to work) now I am noticing that at around 3800 RPMs my bike is cutting out and sputtering. This happens regardless of what gear I am in. Any ideas why? The bike has sat all winter here in Ohio sooo about 5-6 months. Any help is appreciated I am thinking that maybe the bike is leaning out but want to be sure before I spend the money on a PC. Also I was under the impression that slip-ons would not mess with the air/fuel ratio.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I do not think slip-ons would mess with the air/fuel ratio.
Did you have fuel stabilizer in the gas while it was stored?

·
Premium Member
14,203 Posts
Add some octane boost and run a couple tanks then get back with us

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Does the bike have any other mods done to it? If you'd had an aftermarket intake on there and THEN changed the exhaust that could have made the bike run hella lean. Just tryin to cover the bases here...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also I am gonna get some new plugs and put them in and run it for some miles and pull and check those just trying to get out in front with some ideas before that.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If the bike starts acting funny at a specific RPM, I would suspect fuel delivery...most notably, fuel filter.

After sitting all winter, it is possible that battery is a little grumpy. Veryfy the voltage at RPM to be sure your charging system isn't low or the battery isn't low and taking voltage from the regulator to recharge...we all know these bikes love voltage and low voltage to the coils makes for a crappy day!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok. So checked battery it is good, holding at 12.8 volts with bike off. I pulled the plugs to check those and they look a little black and feathery. I am gonna get some new plugs and wires (needs it anyways) and see if that helps. I am still wondering on how to check the fuel pressure. I have watched videos that say there is a schrader valve under right side cheese wheel..... no luck in finding that, or maybe I am missing it. I appreciate all the help that you fellas have given me so far. I uploaded a couple pics I took of the plugs maybe get some opinions on those.

·
Registered
444 Posts
HOLY HELL! Those plugs tell me the bike is no good! You need to sell it...Im PayPal ready! Hehehe!

The plugs show the engine is running a little rich but nothing to cosmic. I would still replace the fuel filter...still sounds suspect.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here is the procedure for checking the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol! Yea I am gonna look into getting a filter just hoping the actual pump is fine. Definitely was gonna replace plugs be only $3 a piece but some reassurance is good

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.