VOG Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried searching around here and didnt come up with a solution. I have a 2013 Judge. Today i went out and tried to start it and the cold weather had drained the battery and i had to jump it off. Well i did something stupid for the first time in my life. i connected the cables backwards and had it on that way for about 5 seconds before i caught it. 3 year old child distractions, o well. Well i swapped em the right way and the bike started and idled fine. Rode it around the yard and everything seemed fine except this one issue:

The Turn signals and turn signal indicator on the cluster stays lit and solid. flashers and turn signal dont change it, they just stay on and wont turn off. Any ideas on what may have happened? Or a possible starting place to track down the problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
In that 5 seconds if the key was on, you had +12V on the chassis. Even if your signals aren't LED which can be fried with reverse polarity, there are many components (i.e. ECU) that have polarized chips, diodes, etc. Sorry to say, you probably fried something. My guess, the computer is done. If you are lucky, that's the only thing. Probably didn't blow a fuse but I would definitely check all of the fuses, pull them and check continuity. Pull the relays, swap them around with same values. Install the relays and fuses one at a time with key off and kill switch off then switch the key and kill switch on to check. Rinse and repeat. If it's just a relay, you have an angel watching over you. If it started and idled, your 40A main breaker is good. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea i am going to get a new battery for sure. What would be a tel tale sign of an ECU being fried? with the bike running I was able to cycle through all the readings on the gauge and everything displayed correctly, speedo worked when i rode it, everything else seems to be working. Going to start with the flasher relay and work out from there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just going to continue thinking out loud here. I have tested all the fuses and relays and everything checks out there. I removed the headlight and removed power from both hand controls and still have the same issue. I am beginning to think i may have had some wires burn and fuse becuase it seems almost as if the lights and indicator are getting continuous power from somewhere up the line from the relay and fuse, thus causing them to stay on and solid regardless of input from the controls.

Looks like im going to have to open up some looms and start looking for wires. Does anyone have a good link to a wiring diagram for the judge?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have the tank off and nothing in the wiring seems to be noticeable messed up. Noticed something new as well. If you try to crank the bike the lights will go out and when you stop cranking some will come back on, but not all, and it never seems to be the same ones. The blinker indicator on the guage remains solid throughout. might be an ECU issue after all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2013 Judge but have not had this issue on mine so far so will not be much help to you. But there is a 2012 Victory Vegas shop manual on this victory site at 2012 Vegas Service Manual - Complete.pdf. You may have to disable ad blockers to download it. I have it downloaded to my computer and use it all the time with my Judge. It is the closest manual for a Judge. There is a section in the manual about troubling shooting the ECU in case you decide to go this route. By the way the Judge does have LED signal lights. When I first bought my bike the previous owner had removed the front and rear signal lights and replaced them will small after market ones so had to replace the signal lights with the stock ones. The only issue I encountered doing this was one of the front signal wires as I recall the left one has the color of wire reversed so once you find out about this, they can be hooked and will work correctly, but this is likely not your problem. Anyway, good luck with your search for the solution. Still think you should test your battery. A bad battery can make some strange thinks happen.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
An LED illuminates by putting the ground to the cathode and a +Vdc to the anode. Generally, if you reverse the polarity, it destroys the LED. By introducing capacitors, resistors and additional diodes, you can protect the LEDs from being damaged. If the LED is destroyed it won't come on at all. So if they are on when they shouldn't be or on all of the time, then something else doesn't work right. It might be that the flasher relay is stuck on, maybe the electrical current caused an arc weld in the relay (if it's mechanical) or if it's solid state, burned through the dielectric in the transistors. I'd do a swap with the flasher relay, it's a 1"x1" square thing connected probably behind the fuse box holder. On my Gunner you have to remove 3 screws that hold the fuse box plate to the frame and it's mounted to the backside so it's facing the rear shock. New one is about $75, I think Rylan at The Vic Shop has some in stock. Should be the same as the cross models.

One other thing, since your bike uses a single light indicator on the clusher, both the left and right turn signals send current to that indicator. It has diodes that allow the signal to get to the light from either side but prevent that signal from passing on to the other side which prevents both sides from flashing when one side is activated. Perhaps you can disconnect the indicator/cluster main harness connector and try. If they flash properly then you have something damaged in the cluster, not sure what to do about it though. Either way, I figure replacing the flasher module and/or the cluster will be easier and cheaper than replacing the ECU, so I think it would be worth a shot, maybe see if you can find a used cluster online.

Reactions: recumbentbob
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.