VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 XR came with Dunlop Elite 3 radials which I must admit I wasn't real happy with. They seemed like they were always riding a rail and would break right or left off of what felt like a peak. However after much reading I decided to go back with it because I understood there had been changes made to them. Mileage on the originals was 11K+ with mostly two up riding. The front tire had about 2K left but I preferred to change both at the same time.

Now 11K down the road I am looking for a new set again. I have to report that the second set were much better than the first. No breaking one way or the other and very solid in the corners. However, I have been told the Elite 3's have been discontinued and replaced with 4's for a substantial increase in $$$.

I'm looking for input about experience with the Dunlop Elite 4's as well as what other options might be acceptable for this 2012 Crossroads Classic.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
I think the best combo I ever had was the elite 4 rear for the mileage with a nice sticky Avon on the front. Wore out about the same rate.

But I'm in the cheap SOB mode right now. Just put a $75 Shinko on the front yesterday.lol

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have an Avon Cobra on the front and a Dunlop E3 on the back. I have 15,000 on the E3 right now, when I replace it I'm going with the E4.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I put on a set of E4's last July. They now have about 7k on them. They ride well in all conditions, wet, dry tar strips. They are wearing better than the stock E3's. My only complaint is that under certain conditions they make noise like I've never heard. It isn't all the time and I haven't paid attention to the exact conditions. At first I thought it might go away with break in but it never did.
They hold the road as well as I need. Next set I will try something else for variety and the noise.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an Avon Cobra on the front and a Dunlop E3 on the back. I have 15,000 on the E3 right now, when I replace it I'm going with the E4.
Thanks for the reply. Sure the noise is the tires or could it be the belt?

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
Avon Cobra. Best handling and best on the rain.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 2012 XR came with Dunlop Elite 3 radials which I must admit I wasn't real happy with. They seemed like they were always riding a rail and would break right or left off of what felt like a peak. However after much reading I decided to go back with it because I understood there had been changes made to them. Mileage on the originals was 11K+ with mostly two up riding. The front tire had about 2K left but I preferred to change both at the same time.

Now 11K down the road I am looking for a new set again. I have to report that the second set were much better than the first. No breaking one way or the other and very solid in the corners. However, I have been told the Elite 3's have been discontinued and replaced with 4's for a substantial increase in $$$.

I'm looking for input about experience with the Dunlop Elite 4's as well as what other options might be acceptable for this 2012 Crossroads Classic.

Thanks
I went with the E4's last August. Now with 7000 miles on them they are wearing well with not as much noise as the E3's had. I immediately noticed the front tire follows rain groves a bit more than the E3's, but overall I'm happy with them and will likely get them again next time.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have put about 1500 miles on the Avon Cobra tires and if they get even close to the mileage of the E3, I'm sold.
Great feel and much better in the rain.

Reactions: Tenax66
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.