VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
That's my story today ...
Starting from a friend's house, I switch my gears normally and I see that the "Neutral" light and the indicator come on at every gear!
I find this weird and I test while staying on the same gear by simply moving the lever, the light "Neutral" lights up every time.
I stop to turn off the ignition and restart and can not start !!
The battery level is below 12v while it was 14.4v all along the road.
The starter does not really start and reminds of a speed gear engaged.
I unplugged the clutch lever contact plug, a friend came with a battery and I was able to get home.
You would have an idea of the problem?
Thank you for your feedback.
Denis.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Nakota7,
No, the problem does not come from the battery.
With the clutch lever disconnected, since my arrival at home, it starts every time and the battery is a little above 12v.

·
Registered
879 Posts
A bad neutral safety/clutch switch

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all,
I waited more than a month for everything to be dry, I cleaned all the connections, I put a new battery and the problem is still there :(
If you have an idea .... thank you.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hi all,
I waited more than a month for everything to be dry, I cleaned all the connections, I put a new battery and the problem is still there :(
If you have an idea .... thank you.
I would concentrate on the switch at the clutch lever. Disconnect your clutch cable, take the lever out, spray some contact cleaner up into that switch (with the lever spring on it) work it around. Protect your tank while doing this.
It's a grubby in the breeze area. Cleaning those contacts up will ensure it's activating when it's supposed to.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Also take the switch gear apart on the clutch side and clean it out.

Another possibility could be water in the sealed ? Flasher unit under the right side cover all my flashers came on or stopped working when in Bastogne after some heavy rain a few years ago the neutral ,clutch, engine coil power signals go in to this unit.

I did dry out the old unit but brought a new one sealed the connector up with electrical grease.

Hopefull you can borrow a unit of another Victory rider part # 4013199 $ 90 USA price Richard at Freedom Motorcycles UK +44 1354 660366 should have or can order the part for you

Best of luck John

I will in the Cognac area for Easter
Product Rectangle Font Slope Material property

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes sampled a few glasses of Pineau over the last few years in Cognac at a friend house, he also has a Victory 2012 XC red & silver in the barn.

I hope you get the XC sorted John

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,
Ok, I cleaned everything up.
Also the 2 white connectors and the 2 black connectors behind the rear cylinder.
I put some contact cleaning spray.
I tested the lever contact with an Ohm meter, everything is ok.

I did the test again and it's still the same .....

By cons, what I discovered is that the kickstand security no longer works when the clutch lever contact plug is connected.
So to summarize and try to locate the problem:

When the clutch lever contact plug is connected:
- The neutral indicator remains on even when the speed is engaged.
- The neutral indicator goes out as soon as I release the lever.(So the lever contact works.)
- The open stand security no longer works if I switch on a gear.

When the clutch lever contact plug is disconnected:
- The neutral indicator goes off when the gear is engaged.
- The open stand security works, the engine stops if I switch on a gear.

If this information can give an idea about the problem?

Thank you again for your help.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I’ve had to replace both lever switches on my CCT within the last year or so. Both the brake lever (hand) and the clutch lever have a small lever actuated micro switch. They’re mounted on the bottom of the levers and they do wear out. When they do they will cause system failures. They’re also a quick and an easy part to replace.
Since your side stand switch is inoperable, that’s another item I’d replace.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Chattanooga_Mark,
The side stand switch cannot be used only when the clutch lever switch is connected.
Which makes me think there must be an electrical problem and not a switch problem.
I tested the switch with an ohm meter and it works well.
I even replaced the switch with a small electric wire to simulate the contact and the problem is still there.
Thank you for your help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.