VOG Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

· Registered
3,209 Posts
For 2011 bikes, and early 2012 there is a updated torque compensator set that will remove every last bit of noise from the in neutral clutch out. It also seems to shift a little better when warm. There will be a very slight increase in drive train slack, but 90% of the people will never notice it. As for slow gear indicator. The indicator is calculated by speed, and RPM. Not a multi position switch. So yes it will lag behind the actual shift

· Registered
3 Posts
OneThumb said:
Both of my Kingpins have made a grinding or rubbing vibration noise that could be felt also just before coming to a stop. Thought it was something to do with the front rotor and calipers. I now believe it comes from the rear pulley and drive belt, after centering belt on rear pulley when adjusting belt the noise seems to have stopped.
Don't believe its the drive belt, my noise only happens when letting out the cluth when downshifting to 1st gear only. Noise only happens mid way through letting out the cluth, when the clutch is fully engaged the ratcheting noise stops, and all is normal as far as any noise. It is quite loud, the fist few times it happened I didn't think much of it. But now it seems to happen more often. But thanks for your input, if I have your noise that you spoke of I'll know to go for the drive belt.

· Registered
3 Posts
kevinx said:
For 2011 bikes, and early 2012 there is a updated torque compensator set that will remove every last bit of noise from the in neutral clutch out. It also seems to shift a little better when warm. There will be a very slight increase in drive train slack, but 90% of the people will never notice it. As for slow gear indicator. The indicator is calculated by speed, and RPM. Not a multi position switch. So yes it will lag behind the actual shift
My noise only happens when letting out the cluth when downshifting to 1st gear only. Noise only happens mid way through letting out the cluth, when the clutch is fully engaged the ratcheting noise stops, and all is normal as far as any noise. It is quite loud, the fist few times it happened I didn't think much of it. But now it seems to happen more often. Do you believe the updated torque compensator set will take care of this? I appreciate your advise, your reputation precedes you on technical matters.

· Registered
145 Posts
it seems VICTORY is well aware of this tranny/cluth problem. they aren't going to do a recall, because it's not good to post something like that to it's share holders. since they fixed it in the 2012's, it might take a class action law suit to get them to own up to the problem and take care of this problem.

· Registered
977 Posts
OneThumb said:
Both of my Kingpins have made a grinding or rubbing vibration noise that could be felt also just before coming to a stop. Thought it was something to do with the front rotor and calipers. I now believe it comes from the rear pulley and drive belt, after centering belt on rear pulley when adjusting belt the noise seems to have stopped.
My Vegas was doing that today. Tighten and align the belt and it is quiet again. Mine has some back lash noise in the crankcase also, but it seems when I tightend the belt it made the noise less. If it ain't broke just ride it, when you get close to warrenty end, take it to the dealer.

· Registered
22 Posts
I purchased a 2007 Harley street glide. The tranny and other stuff made so many noises I sold it in eight months. In August, this year, I bought a 2001 V92C with 23K miles and loved it. Took it for a long ride. While on the ride we looked at the newer Victory bikes at a local dealer. Fell in love with the XC. The dealer had a couple 11's and some 12's. He made me, what I think, was a good deal on a 2011 White and silver. Got a 5 year warranty and a great discount, so I traded. The new bike has 900 miles as of this date.I hear the grinds and clanks. Reminds me of the Harley except I can use 6th gear at less then 90 mph. So far the bike is much smoother, less noisy and has more power. I'm hoping I didn't spend my money on a piece of junk. The 2001 V92C vibrated at 3100 pretty badly. The tranny rattled and grinded into gear. I was hoping the 2011 would be much better. Except for the whining the 11 sounds similar to 01. Please keep me informed and if need be email me with any concerns. I would love to hear about any issues. Also, if Polaris is going to be as bad as Harley when it comes to customer satisfaction, I'll sell the XC.

· Registered
7,009 Posts
TFRacing said:
I purchased a 2007 Harley street glide. The tranny and other stuff made so many noises I sold it in eight months. In August, this year, I bought a 2001 V92C with 23K miles and loved it. Took it for a long ride. While on the ride we looked at the newer Victory bikes at a local dealer. Fell in love with the XC. The dealer had a couple 11's and some 12's. He made me, what I think, was a good deal on a 2011 White and silver. Got a 5 year warranty and a great discount, so I traded. The new bike has 900 miles as of this date.I hear the grinds and clanks. Reminds me of the Harley except I can use 6th gear at less then 90 mph. So far the bike is much smoother, less noisy and has more power. I'm hoping I didn't spend my money on a piece of junk. The 2001 V92C vibrated at 3100 pretty badly. The tranny rattled and grinded into gear. I was hoping the 2011 would be much better. Except for the whining the 11 sounds similar to 01. Please keep me informed and if need be email me with any concerns. I would love to hear about any issues. Also, if Polaris is going to be as bad as Harley when it comes to customer satisfaction, I'll sell the XC.
Uh... yeah. It doesn't work that way in any world I know of. It's up to you to keep up with what's going on. I don't remember this entire thread but there's a fix for that noise through your dealership. Consider yourself informed. Or, if you like, sell the XC to a more deserved person who will appreciate the machine for what it is. Sheesh. Comparing a Harley to a Victory is like comparing an old Japanese Zero to an F-22. About the only things they have in common is they both have wings and they fly. After that; the differences are stark. BTW; I love Harley's. May even have another someday for nostalgia's sake.

· Registered
22 Posts
Bbob, my comparison wasn't a Harley to the Victory... It was the customer service after the sale. I had to deal with a Harley that had transmission issues and the company wouldn't help. I was hoping that Polaris wouldn't be the same. That's all... As for letting me know if about issues. Some people on forums actually PM you when they discover information.. Sheesh... So far I love the XC. Looking forward to spring so I can ride.

· Premium Member
9,000 Posts
TFRacing said:
Bbob, my comparison wasn't a Harley to the Victory... It was the customer service after the sale. I had to deal with a Harley that had transmission issues and the company wouldn't help. I was hoping that Polaris wouldn't be the same. That's all... As for letting me know if about issues. Some people on forums actually PM you when they discover information.. Sheesh... So far I love the XC. Looking forward to spring so I can ride.
By subscribing to this thread, you'll be notified via an email if anyone adds any information. However, it's a good idea to check in periodically as the information could be added in a new thread. Sorry about the attitude you experienced here. Most VOG Members are happy to assist a new Member.

· Registered
12,150 Posts
Andy said:
By subscribing to this thread, you'll be notified via an email if anyone adds any information. However, it's a good idea to check in periodically as the information could be added in a new thread. Sorry about the attitude you experienced here. Most VOG Members are happy to assist a new Member.
Cabin fever starting already? :)

· Registered
22 Posts
Well we are seeing 50 to 65 then 30's... So yes to spring fever. I bought the bike a month ago so I'm anxious to ride. No problem on the Bbog post. He wanted to let me know that Victory wasn't the same as a Harley. No crap.. My comparison was about the company helping owners. My first experience with Polaris reminded me of Harley. I had a question about my V92C and thought Polaris might have a customer service line. I was quickly informed that they were a dealer priority company and that the dealer could answer my questions. This is same as Harley...No matter how bad the problem is you have to deal with red tape through the dealer. Basically , as sommeone mentioned, you will have to create a class action suit in order to get resolution. What's the probability of that happening? I met some Canadian guys on a ride who were riding Visions. They said they loved them and that the only thing they had to do is change the oil and gas up. I hope I have the same experience...

· Registered
12,150 Posts
TFRacing said:
No matter how bad the problem is you have to deal with red tape through the dealer. Basically , as sommeone mentioned, you will have to create a class action suit in order to get resolution. What's the probability of that happening? I met some Canadian guys on a ride who were riding Visions. They said they loved them and that the only thing they had to do is change the oil and gas up. I hope I have the same experience...
That is not entirely true. Many people here have gotten help from the factory when they have a real problem. It really depends on how civil you are when you make your case. It has been my experience the guy that writes a well thought out complaint will get help, the one that throws out F-bombs will get ignored.

· Registered
22 Posts
Your response sounds good... A little less worry. So far though the bike is great and look forward to some long rides next year. To be honest I am a drag racer who runs Suzuki bikes. I build and develop all my own engines and bikes. I am familiar with transmissions and their workings. I need to look through my service manual at the tranny and see how this one works so I can understand why there would be grinding sounds when engaging the lower gears. Perhaps a simple fix... Does anyone have the trannys cut for better engagement?

· Registered
6,725 Posts
Some new Victory owners come on here trying to describe a sound they hear that's new to them. You might be able to describe it better an know where it is coming from like belt rubbing on rear pulley's edge if alignment is not right. Victory's make a lot of different noises but a grinding transmission noise is not one of them IMO. OT

· Registered
977 Posts
dsjr70 said:
That is not entirely true. Many people here have gotten help from the factory when they have a real problem. It really depends on how civil you are when you make your case. It has been my experience the guy that writes a well thought out complaint will get help, the one that throws out F-bombs will get ignored.
It all gets down to your dealer in my experiance. a good dealer will satify his customer and go the extra mile..A bad dealer will not no matter what..Be nice they walk on you, be mean and they ignore you.. I managed a Body shop at a Chevy dealer in the 80's and our dealership was rated #1 in customer satisfaction in the USA..we were a small dealer but we serviced what we sold.

· Registered
7,009 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Cabin fever starting already? :)
Don't you know it! It's been almost two weeks since I've ridden. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have my current project buttoned up. Can't wait! Too many delays. I can't imagine living somewhere where I couldn't ride year round but I'm glad there are those who can. It would get mighty crowded down here in the sun belt otherwise.

· Registered
357 Posts
I have all sorts of odd noises coming from my 2011 Vision transmission with 5500 miles...clunking on shifts (more than reasonable) and a lot of rattling with clutch in or in neutral. I heard odd noises from my 05 TC too. I just thought it was supposed to do that. My friend's H-Ds are smooth by comparison. Oh, btw...someone said they wanted to see in writing where Polaris says not to use downshift engine braking - they just need to look in their owner's manual. It's nothing to do with engine damage; they are concerned that riders will engage too low a gear at speed and loose control of the bike. Legal thing.

· Registered
2 Posts
Well, I THINK I've finally gotten a fix! My problem is the same as some have expressed here. A noticeable grinding/whirring/rattling noise coming obviously from the primary area that occurred when placed in neutral and letting the clutch out. When I say noticeable, I mean it, as I have had a few friends ask me what that noise was when they heard it the first time. So I was reading what some of you guys wrote concerning the early release VS the late release and I got that confirmed yesterday. I was at the dealer, he called Victory and put the tech on the speaker phone. When he described to the tech the nature of the noise, without hesitation, the tech steered him to a Victory OEM parts website, explained to him that some of the early 2011's had this issue(MINE was one). I saw the website with him, Sure enough, there was a depiction/parts breakdown of the "early release" and the "late release". The picture showed the primary shaft washers/spacers, both versions. The tech advised which ones to remove and which ones to replace them with. It looked like different sizing and quantities, but different. Apparently with the early release, it was allowing space on the shaft that when spinning and not under load would allow movement and therefore the resultant audible noise. So now the dealer has the parts ordered and I have heard(from some of you) that this removes pretty much all the noise. I hope so! Can't wait. Please if any of you have had this done already, let me know your findings or results.

· Registered
1,019 Posts
Jesse_in_SC said:
Well, I THINK I've finally gotten a fix! My problem is the same as some have expressed here. A noticeable grinding/whirring/rattling noise coming obviously from the primary area that occurred when placed in neutral and letting the clutch out. When I say noticeable, I mean it, as I have had a few friends ask me what that noise was when they heard it the first time. So I was reading what some of you guys wrote concerning the early release VS the late release and I got that confirmed yesterday. I was at the dealer, he called Victory and put the tech on the speaker phone. When he described to the tech the nature of the noise, without hesitation, the tech steered him to a Victory OEM parts website, explained to him that some of the early 2011's had this issue(MINE was one). I saw the website with him, Sure enough, there was a depiction/parts breakdown of the "early release" and the "late release". The picture showed the primary shaft washers/spacers, both versions. The tech advised which ones to remove and which ones to replace them with. It looked like different sizing and quantities, but different. Apparently with the early release, it was allowing space on the shaft that when spinning and not under load would allow movement and therefore the resultant audible noise. So now the dealer has the parts ordered and I have heard(from some of you) that this removes pretty much all the noise. I hope so! Can't wait. Please if any of you have had this done already, let me know your findings or results.
GOOD TO HEAR you have found a potential resolution - Although I do not appear to have the same issue, please help the rest of the group by asking if they can separate the early from late releases by a specific VIN # (e.g. All VIN numbers ending with # higher than 33333 are newer and would not need the fix). That is usually how they do it with recalls. If you can't get a vin # from your dealer, perhaps you could simply tell us what the last 4 (or 5) digits are of your VIN # is so that others can extrapolate from there.

· Registered
150 Posts
ndabunka said:
GOOD TO HEAR you have found a potential resolution - Although I do not appear to have the same issue, please help the rest of the group by asking if they can separate the early from late releases by a specific VIN # (e.g. All VIN numbers ending with # higher than 33333 are newer and would not need the fix). That is usually how they do it with recalls. If you can't get a vin # from your dealer, perhaps you could simply tell us what the last 4 (or 5) digits are of your VIN # is so that others can extrapolate from there.
i'd like to know this too. someone should have an answer on build date or vin. mine is an early march '11 build according to the mso. is there any other way to tell a build date?

41 - 60 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.