VOG Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
at what speed do you downshift to 1st? I rareley hit 1st before I am completely stopped. Maybe this tranny does not like the pressure from downshifting too early. I'm not bagging on your riding style, just trying to figure out why some do, and some don't.

· Registered
420 Posts
I experienced the grinding once this weekend downshifting to second doing 15mph approaching a light, nothing I would consider heavy engine braking. I am waiting to see if it happens again because taking it to the dealer and having them rip it apart for it only happening once is not too appealing to me. Besides, it's got a 5 year warranty on it so I want to see just how bad this gets. Any motorcycle should be able to engine break and downshift at reasonable speeds. Saying you shouldn't engine brake makes me wonder how much confidence this company has in their product, which happens to be very expensive. 2011 Kingpin 8-ball.

· Registered
4,468 Posts
I use Amsoil, have no issues on my 2011

· Grouchy Old Member
7,239 Posts
bubba said:
I use Amsoil, have no issues on my 2011
LOL, when pressed Frank will admit that he only uses Amsoil and Black Paint to fix Motorcycle problems.

· Registered
4,468 Posts
keithgrey said:
LOL, when pressed Frank will admit that he only uses Amsoil and Black Paint to fix Motorcycle problems.
I also believe in witch doctors!!!! I also believe that when the bike breaks down there is a problem. I have a 5 year warranty so I am not concern. I am all about preventive maintenance and avoiding issues on the road. In the 11 years I have owned a Vic, I broke down once on my 00C. Bad fuel pump. Maybe that's why I like loud tunes and loud pipes when I ride. RIDE them!!!

· Registered
11 Posts
I have exactly the same downshifting problem on my xc, it has 11,000 miles and has done it since new. It is now getting more pronounced so I have an appointment to get it loked at. A new problem has also started, in 6th gear when I apply gas to pass a car the other night the same sound occured and the gear indicator flashed between 6 5 4 5 6 ect. Then in 5th I gunned it and the same noise and indicator flashed 5 4 5 4 5 ect. I am concerned.

· Registered
11 Posts
2011 xc downshifting noise I would like to know if anyone else is experincing a grinding noise while downshifting to 1st as you let out the clutch as it seems to go away when the clutch is fully released. Also the shifter indicator shows many different numers 1 2 3 ect. The dealer says they do not know what it could be.

· Registered
166 Posts
I was reading on one of the other forums about this issue and if you look at the 2012 Parts list for the primary, they changed the compensator part numbers part way thru the year. They have "early build" and "late build". Mmmmmm I just got my XC a couple weeks ago and it rattles when the oil is warmed up in neutral as well as 1st. I'm going to bring it up when I take it in for my 800km inspection. I also heard it in their demo bike when I took it out. The Salesman tried to tell me it was "normal". It doesn't sound to me like $21k normal.

· Registered
135 Posts
Botein said:
I just got my XC a couple weeks ago and it rattles when the oil is warmed up in neutral as well as 1st. I'm going to bring it up when I take it in for my 800km inspection.
This is exactly what I experienced this weekend. Ambient temps were around 85°F. I did not hear any grinding except when in neurtal and I let out the clutch and oil temp was over 225°. When in gear I do hear a pronounced growl/grumble from the gears and a louder whir from something when the oil temp is closer to 250° but don't hear them when the temp is cooler like around 200°. I wonder if it is the Victory brand semi-synthetic oil thinning out at higher temps. One member said he uses Amsoil and has none of these complaints. I was considering switching to that or Mobil1 20W-50 full synthetic. Anyone using that? I have also witnessed a couple of incorrect gear number displays. What I see is more of a delay in showing what gear I am in after I shift. Once it did show 6 when I was in 5th but that was right after I did some quick side to side swaying. It returned to 5 when I leveled out. I wonder if the sensor for the gear position display is electronic or mechanical. Anywho, I am taking it in soon for the 500 mile service and will voice my concerns and show them this thread. Glad to know I am not the only one. Regards, steviej

· Registered
103 Posts
I too have been experiencing this noise when coming to a stop and down shifting. My previous Non-Victory and Non-HD bikes have never encountered this before. So the suggestion is the Amsoil or another possibly full synthetic? Or would someone recommend replacing some parts, clutch, pressure plate, etc?

· Registered
105 Posts
Well sounds like to me the howling and the whirring sounds are just gears working at their finest when I hear those soundes in a down low gear it is music to my ears you should watch the videos victory vs HD all of them my help you under stand why we hear that sweet howl of gears turning. As for the grinding sure sounds like clutch to me ether wearing in or wearing out. Sound does travel some times can be misleading so we take in acount the actions the sound acures the releasing of the clutch inwich suond would be more evident in a lower gear at slower speeds.

· Registered
105 Posts
As for usealy I posted befor reading all the posts I'm sorry you feel like you need to sell and go to a different make so its story time when i bought my 06 vulcan my first new bike it to made unsetling noises it sounded like my bike that was 30yrs old and a sticky lifter i road others and they were quiet and got all kinds of bull from the dealer but i stuck it out and around 5000 mi the lifter freed up now with 17500 mi on her all i here is the pipes so when i bought my xc alot of the noises just seemed normal and when i noticed at 1600 rpms slowing down a skip the dealer said the same don't use the engine to slow down bull so i ride how i ride normaly now 2500 mi and she is quieting up some times noises still evadent the morral of all this tough it out in the long run you might be happy. Keep your rubber on the road and tank side up.

· Registered
4,468 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issue. I run Amsoil and Loud pipes. No issues. If I do down the road I will use the 5 years of warranty I got for an extra 150 bucks. Have not made the first payment and you are trading it. Wow that cost a few bucks! Best of luck! Ride Safe!

· Registered
22 Posts
I'm having the same issues and noises after the motor warms up. My bike is at the dealer now for repairs (3rd times a charm), Victory told them they are having some issues with the early release 2011 XC's but they have repaired this problem on the 2012's so Victory is sending them a torque compensator kit that they now use in the 2012's and claim that this is the fix. Parts should be here mid week and I'm hoping to have it back (fixed) by the weekend for a trial run, I'll post more after I know if this fix works. Bill

· Registered
7,009 Posts
It must be only on some of the early release 2011's because mine doesn't do it. At about 335 miles I started hearing a rattle but as the bike broke in; the chatter got less and less. It's barely there now and I have to force myself to hear it 'cause I just got use to it. Hope they take good care of you. There have been 10 or 20 bad compensator springs or whatever parts they are replacing to make them right.

· Registered
17,770 Posts
I've heard this "chatter" when shifting into first gear a little too early. I just thought it was the synchronizer complaining.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have the same noise on mine when shifting down to first gear while rooling only at about 10mph. Has to be mechanical, have used Amsoil every since first oil change. Have a little over 7,000 miles on bike and just starting to notice it this month. Going to have to have it checked out now. Still love the bike, I know they will come up with a fix for it. Can't use lame excuses as "don't down shift to 1st until you stop" forever, one day it will break. 2011 Cross Country

· Registered
6,725 Posts
jdav3 said:
I have the same noise on mine when shifting down to first gear while rolling only at about 10mph. 2011 Cross Country
Both of my Kingpins have made a grinding or rubbing vibration noise that could be felt also just before coming to a stop. Thought it was something to do with the front rotor and calipers. I now believe it comes from the rear pulley and drive belt, after centering belt on rear pulley when adjusting belt the noise seems to have stopped.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.