VOG Forum banner

2011 XC transmission grinding noise

18635 68
Just got back from a 500 mile road trip to the Cape and back on my 2011 XC with 2000 miles on it. When I was stuck in traffic leaving the Cape I noticed when I was in second and shifted down to first then letting the clutch out there is a loud grinding/ratcheting noise coming out of the gearbox. I also heard it doing the same in second gear at least once. I ignored it and rode another 200 miles. When I was coming down my street once home I thought I would try it again and sure enough there is a very loud mechanical grinding noise when letting out the clutch in 1st or second gear when slowing down. The bike is definitely all the way in gear when this happens. Anyone know what this might be? I know I have to take it in but thought someone might know what it is. I have been complaining about this loud whirring noise from the primary since new, I wonder if it's related.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's going all the way into gear. once I release the clutch lever all the way the grinding goes away and everything is as normal, it's just when you are about half way through the process of releasing the clutch. (When it's starting to grab).

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Called dealer today, they said the howling is most likely the belt alignment, the whirring is normal and more noticable on the 2011 than the 2010 (although I think mine is excessive). The grinding is an issue and they said they have never seen it before. I am taking it in this weekend and most likely leaving it.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine sounds like like a low pitch grinding. (ratcheting noise) It's not like when you hear a car transmission grind gears which I would call a high pitch grind. The first time I heard this noise was yesterday and it was 2-up with a 55 pound luggage bag on the rear. I would say 425 total weight between me, my wife, and luggage.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did the XR have a windshield? Did the KP not have a windshield? If this is correct the answer is the windshield reduces wind noise allowing you to hear the drivetrain quite well. Try riding the XR with and without the windshield and you will see what I am referring to.

I never heard a peep out of my two Jackpots but both my 2010 and 2011 XC's are and were very noisy from the transmission. Fairing and windshield being the reason.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I went to the dealer today for the grinding noise, they suggested that for now on I shift down to second gear while rolling then wait until I'm stopped completely before shifting into first gear. I rode another 2011 XC at the dealer today and I could not make it grind no matter how hard I tried. It kinda sucks knowing mine grinds badly but if I change my riding style it won't grind. BTW the bike I rode today had 2k miles on it and was very quiet in the transmission and there was almost no whirring from the primary. Unlike mine that is very noisy in both areas. This is my 5th Victory but sadly is my last. I am trading it in for another brand that will remain nameless. I haven't even made my first payment and it's going bye bye. What a shame. Good luck and ride safe everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.