VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a 500 mile road trip to the Cape and back on my 2011 XC with 2000 miles on it. When I was stuck in traffic leaving the Cape I noticed when I was in second and shifted down to first then letting the clutch out there is a loud grinding/ratcheting noise coming out of the gearbox. I also heard it doing the same in second gear at least once. I ignored it and rode another 200 miles. When I was coming down my street once home I thought I would try it again and sure enough there is a very loud mechanical grinding noise when letting out the clutch in 1st or second gear when slowing down. The bike is definitely all the way in gear when this happens. Anyone know what this might be? I know I have to take it in but thought someone might know what it is. I have been complaining about this loud whirring noise from the primary since new, I wonder if it's related.

·
Registered
466 Posts

whirring nosie is the gear in the primary, normal I hear and I have a light bit of it with mine but only 1000k's to go by.
The grinding sounds like its not going all the way into gear right away maybe?
I noticed from 2nd to 1st I need to tap hard or I end up in neutral.
Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's going all the way into gear. once I release the clutch lever all the way the grinding goes away and everything is as normal, it's just when you are about half way through the process of releasing the clutch. (When it's starting to grab).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Called dealer today, they said the howling is most likely the belt alignment, the whirring is normal and more noticable on the 2011 than the 2010 (although I think mine is excessive). The grinding is an issue and they said they have never seen it before. I am taking it in this weekend and most likely leaving it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Does the grinding sound like rocks in a can or a chain rattling? If so my 2011 Cross Roadsdoes it too but my also pops out of gear occasionally when it is making the noise.Now when I hear it Iupshift or downshift and and it goes away. Mine is also difficult to shift at times; for instance when I come off the highway and stop for a light (without downshifting as I am slowing) I have to struggle to get into 1st. If I rev a little I can get it to work through the gears but sometimes it also takes rocking back and forth a few inches to get it to release. This happens so often that I've had to make it a habit to downshift while I'm still rolling and sit in neutral at lights. Does yours do it more or less two-up? Mine seems to shift better when I have a passenger, maybe it's because I'm more careful starting or stopping. I try not to let it bother me and just keep thinking that the 100K mile transmission warranty will cover me if I need it. As long as it goes out at the end of the riding season I could really care less; I love the bike and am willing to deal with thequirks as long as they don't leave me stranded or with the bike in the shop during prime riding time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine sounds like like a low pitch grinding. (ratcheting noise) It's not like when you hear a car transmission grind gears which I would call a high pitch grind. The first time I heard this noise was yesterday and it was 2-up with a 55 pound luggage bag on the rear. I would say 425 total weight between me, my wife, and luggage.

·
Registered
524 Posts

I agree, grinding sounds like it's coming from the transmission.
Vicxcrider,
Do you ever hear a quieter version of the same sounds while idling in neutral?

·
Registered
29 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I was test riding a couple of the 2011 bikes on the Fuel demo tour at my dealer. One of the bikes was a 2011 Kingpin and the other I rode was a 2011 Cross roads. After riding both a couple of times I noticed the tranny in the Crossroads made more noises and clanking than the transmission in the Kingpin. While they both should be the same I was bother by the higher transmission noise on the X bike. One bike had about 600 miles on it and the other about a 1000 miles. So not sure why the difference but there was something there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did the XR have a windshield? Did the KP not have a windshield? If this is correct the answer is the windshield reduces wind noise allowing you to hear the drivetrain quite well. Try riding the XR with and without the windshield and you will see what I am referring to.

I never heard a peep out of my two Jackpots but both my 2010 and 2011 XC's are and were very noisy from the transmission. Fairing and windshield being the reason.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I went to the dealer today for the grinding noise, they suggested that for now on I shift down to second gear while rolling then wait until I'm stopped completely before shifting into first gear. I rode another 2011 XC at the dealer today and I could not make it grind no matter how hard I tried. It kinda sucks knowing mine grinds badly but if I change my riding style it won't grind. BTW the bike I rode today had 2k miles on it and was very quiet in the transmission and there was almost no whirring from the primary. Unlike mine that is very noisy in both areas. This is my 5th Victory but sadly is my last. I am trading it in for another brand that will remain nameless. I haven't even made my first payment and it's going bye bye. What a shame. Good luck and ride safe everyone.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
This is one of those cases where Victory 'overfixed' the system. While the lash is better and overall noise is quieter I found the 2011's noisier to shift and they have a much more pronounced whine noise running the highway.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
My guess is that Victory is aknowledging your problem but doesn't yet have a fix, surely working on it. I'm hating hearing this kind of stuff and really hope your is an isolated problem and not a sign of things to come from this new trans. I have no doubt Vic will warranty it, when they figure out what to do.If they know they have a problem with this new trans, it won't help to just bolt another one in. Vic corporate isn't good with communication so who knows?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
VicXCrider said:
Finally heard back from Victory, they said you are NOT supposed to use engine braking by down shifting to slow down???????? That's the lamest answer I have ever heard.
I would love to see that in writing, that's the biggest crock of BS I ever heard.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.