VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just had a demo day at Deltapowersports this past Saturday and I got a chance to ride the 2011 Vision. There has been so much talk about the new transmission and ABS brakes I wanted to see the differences myself. Below is what I noticed
ABS brakes: I tried to get the ABS to kick in but I don't think I did. I stomped on it several times and stopped great but felt no vibration so I do not know if the ABS kicked in. I felt the stopping power was the same as my 2010 non-Abs. Of course it may make a difference in a REAL panic stop. But from my perspective the ABS did not seem to add much.
Transmission: Here there were a fewdifferences.
1. The transmission came out of gear twice from 1st to 2nd (this also happened on the Kingpin). I was sure that I put in gear completely so I was not happy about that.
2. When you pull in the clutch the gear indicator goes blank. I did not like this because when I come to a stop I like to be sure of what gear I am in instead of counting in my head all the time. The Victory rep said that this is a by product of the new transmission
3. One good thing was that it wnet in to neutral very easily.
Now that I have ridden the 2011 myself I can say that the IMO if you are waiting for a 2011 for the upgrades but want to spend less on a 2010. You will not go wrong with the 2010. The upgrades are OK but saving money in this situation is better.

· Registered
12,150 Posts

Nice write up, just a note on ABS. It doesn't decrease your stopping distance just gives you better control in a panic situation.
Did you ask if the problem between 1st and 2nd cause by the nuetral finder?
The biggest selling feature for me is the extended oil change intervals. Living in Florida and riding year round that is a great savings.

· Registered
180 Posts
ABS most certainly can decrease stopping distance, though not in all situations. It is especially effective on wet/slippery surfaces and in preventing wheel lockup which directly decreases stopping distance. There is the rare situation where ABS can actually increase stopping distance, but in normal use ABS has been shown to decrease stopping distance as much as 25%.

· Registered
3,384 Posts
I had similar experiences with ABS on my BMW and V-Rod. In normal use it was rare, even at full handle grab to actually feel the ABS kick in. You need to take the leap and find a gravel or even dirt road / driveway and grab a handful of brake and feel what happens. It will open your eyes.

I wonder if the neutral finder works in such a way that when you drop out of gear at a stop it "finds" neutral without you downshifting 3 or 4 times? That would explain the loss of gear indicator.

· Registered
12,150 Posts

GrayWings said:
ABS most certainly can decrease stopping distance, though not in all situations. It is especially effective on wet/slippery surfaces and in preventing wheel lockup which directly decreases stopping distance. There is the rare situation where ABS can actually increase stopping distance, but in normal use ABS has been shown to decrease stopping distance as much as 25%.
Not according to the MSF or Victory or Motorcycle Intelligence
On the other hand, many experienced riders can bring their non-ABS bike to a stop faster than an ABS equipped bike, by way of well-practiced, efficient, front and rear braking - particularly on clean, dry pavement
** EDIT ** Although I did find one reference in Motorcycle Cruiser that did state otherwise in panic situations.

· Registered
180 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Not according to the MSF or Victory or Motorcycle Intelligence
On the other hand, many experienced riders can bring their non-ABS bike to a stop faster than an ABS equipped bike, by way of well-practiced, efficient, front and rear braking - particularly on clean, dry pavement
** EDIT ** Although I did find one reference in Motorcycle Cruiser that did state otherwise in panic situations.
That quote is highly qualified to circumstances and rider experience. It has been proven over and again that ABS can reduce braking distance over the general population of riders, not just highly experienced riders, especially on wet and slippery surfaces. There are numerous references on the web that cite this. This, from the MSF test study:

CONCLUSIONS
In general, the test results demonstrated an improvement in braking performance with the use of ABS, whether braking on a dry or wet surface even compared with the best stops obtained without ABS. Without ABS, the rider required numerous attempts to approach the maximum deceleration performance of the motorcycle. With the use of ABS, however, the rider was able to quickly obtain consistent maximum deceleration results, whether the vehicle was loaded or lightly loaded.

Read the whole thing here if you wish:

http://www.msf-usa.org/imsc/proceedings/a-Green-ComparisonofStoppingDistance.pdf

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dsjr70 said:
Nice write up, just a note on ABS. It doesn't decrease your stopping distance just gives you better control in a panic situation.
Did you ask if the problem between 1st and 2nd cause by the nuetral finder?
The biggest selling feature for me is the extended oil change intervals. Living in Florida and riding year round that is a great savings.
I figured I would feel the ABS effects better in a REAL panic stop. This seems to be the conclusion I hear from others as well. As far as the tranny popping out of gear, the rep did not know about it and wasn't sure of why it was happening.

· Registered
82 Posts
Wow....Trany has problems? I heard alot of hype about the new trany. I would like to read more about this.Popin out of gear is useually due to worn gears due to no clutch shifts. I wonder if because being test bikes they were treated rough .

· Registered
868 Posts
How much quieter is the new tranny? Any easier to shift? Did you notice any better engine note as 2011 are supposed to have stage 1 as standard?
I am interested in the differences from earlier models. Hope the new quieter gearbox is as strong as the earlier ones.
Do not like the idea of the gear indicator not working when the clutch is in. Perhaps it was only on the one bike otherwise it is a step backwards.

· Registered
420 Posts
My, how times have changed. Complaining about not seeing the gear indicator on the display... I remember riding a chopper as a kid with only a rear brake and the turn signals were my left hand and arm. lol Oh, the old days, when you knew what gear to shift into by listening to the engine. Methinks, we've all gotten spoiled. :)

· Grouchy Old Member
7,239 Posts

midian said:
My, how times have changed. Complaining about not seeing the gear indicator on the display... I remember riding a chopper as a kid with only a rear brake and the turn signals were my left hand and arm. lol Oh, the old days, when you knew what gear to shift into by listening to the engine. Methinks, we've all gotten spoiled. :)
Oh, I would say I'm definitely spoiled, but I still prefer glancing at the small display to constantly having to recheck if I'm in first gear every time I get stuck at a long red-light.
'Cuz let's face it, is anybody on this sitegetting a better memory as they get older?
I'll take the conveniences when I can get'em. Heck, I even use a cordless screw driver now!!

· Registered
7,208 Posts
keithgrey said:
midian said:
Oh, I would say I'm definitely spoiled, but I still prefer glancing at the small display to constantly having to recheck if I'm in first gear every time I get stuck at a long red-light.
'Cuz let's face it, is anybody on this sitegetting a better memory as they get older?
I'll take the conveniences when I can get'em. Heck, I even use a cordless screw driver now!!
+1 at 54 years young my memory needs all the help it can get.

· Registered
1,206 Posts
It was explained to me that the shift indicator is computer operated now. The display shows "wacky" while the computer gets readings from the sensor and decides which she is in. Might be good might be bad only time will tell. It took me by surprise.
It could be the shifting linkage needed adjustment. I know my heel shifter wasn't properly adjusted when it was installed and my bike popped out of gear before Jay took care of it for me. Hopefully that was passed on to the people that maintain the demos.

I saw a show that was talking about how new bearings don't shear the oil so maybe this is part of what makes the new 5,000 mile oil change?

· Registered
180 Posts
The gear indicator is now apparently a computer function that compares speed and gears. So, it needs the clutch engaged to tell which gear it is in. This is why it goes to dashes ( --- ) when stopped and the clutch is held in. It is similar to a system HD used to use. That is how it was explained to me. Whether it is 'better' or not is open to debate.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.