VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Cross Country with 74 k. Recently going into 2nd gear has been a problem, meaning very difficult.
All the other gear work fine, it just 2nd gear.
Is there anything I could try before bringing the bike to a shop?

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
What's difficult about it? Extraordinary effort? Lots of noise?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I pull in the clutch, the bike is going from 1st to neutral, and not going into 2nd. After a few tries it goes in, but with difficulty. There is a gear arm that connects to the shift linkage that could be the problem in the transmission.

·
Registered
865 Posts
When I pull in the clutch, the bike is going from 1st to neutral, and not going into 2nd. After a few tries it goes in, but with difficulty. There is a gear arm that connects to the shift linkage that could be the problem in the transmission.
First things first. Make sure your linkages are all solid and preferably lubed. A common issue is the shift ratchet and star gear getting weak but those aren't internal of the transmission. Because you're crossing neutral, the shift between 1st and 2nd is the longest travel so it could be the ratchet.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
There are a few small parts that could be replaced just inside the primary cover, and change the oil while your at it.
Also make sure the toe peg height is adjusted for you.
Try lifting up on the peg a moment before you pull in the clutch lever.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Like prime said, some small parts inside the cover, but if your not mechanically inclined, time for the shop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First things first. Make sure your linkages are all solid and preferably lubed. A common issue is the shift ratchet and star gear getting weak but those aren't internal of the transmission. Because you're crossing neutral, the shift between 1st and 2nd is the longest travel so it could be the ratchet.
When you say the shift ratchet and star gear getting weak, you mean make sure the bolt on the linkage is tight right without any slippage?
Could a clutch adjust also help the shifting between 1st and 2nd?

·
Registered
865 Posts
When you say the shift ratchet and star gear getting weak, you mean make sure the bolt on the linkage is tight right without any slippage?
Could a clutch adjust also help the shifting between 1st and 2nd?
A clutch cable out of adjust could cause it as well. I guess I was assuming that this had already been done.
The shift ratchet is on the inside of the primary case. It's what the shift lever attaches to on the outside. But check the rest before going in there. If it ain't broke, don't screw it up!!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Please do not take offense. After 57 years a lot of them spent on machines that would shed and crack parts like a long haired dog in August, I tend to do a pretty thorough check before I ride. If you develop this habit it'll save you a lot of grief that will come at the worst possible time. Victory has spoiled me and sometimes now I have to remind myself to do the "pre flight."
Best bike I've ever ridden.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Please do not take offense. After 57 years a lot of them spent on machines that would shed and crack parts like a long haired dog in August, I tend to do a pretty thorough check before I ride. If you develop this habit it'll save you a lot of grief that will come at the worst possible time. Victory has spoiled me and sometimes now I have to remind myself to do the "pre flight."
Best bike I've ever ridden.
At 75k on the bike I'm going through many of the bolts on the bike before my next ride.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.