VOG Forum banner

2010 Vision reverse noise

2930 35
i own a 2010 Vision with the optional reverse gear. it works well, but at times it makes a horrible "clacking" or "clunking" noise when the wheel tries to go from 1 medium to another (concrete to grass, or off a small garage floor lip)...i have asked my dealer about this noise and they told me that it is NORMAL. a friend of mine with a Goldwing HATES this noise (as his bike does NOT behave similarly) and is convinced that something is wrong. does anyone with this same feature (reverse) have the same issue?? according to the dealership's service dept, the reverse linkage on the Vision is much like 1 used in Polaris sleds, and the linkage noise is "acceptable"...i posted this same query on an older post, but thought that a NEW posting might get more visibility
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
No clunking noise from mine during the few times I have used it. I go over a very small gutter drain about an inch deep by 12 inches wide. I do notice a small change in noise when the load changes from load to unload (when the bike is using reverse to slow backward progress)
I will try changes of surface next time out and report.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Might be hitting the sidecover or not fully engagedif the linkage isn't adjusted properly. Check the adjustment or ask the dealer to check it. They do make a bit of noise while the electric motor and gears are working but clunking and banging shouldn't be happening if everything is properly assembled and properly adjusted.

·
Registered
714 Posts
No clunking here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, thanks for the input, folks...yeah, me and my riding buddy think that the noise sounds "other than good", and i am leaning toward a problem with the linkage/intallation, but my dealer keeps on telling me that it is "normal"...next question is, "how many have you guys installed?" (asked to the dealer,NOT to you guys) anyway, thanks a lot guys, be safe out there ! ! ! !

·
Registered
206 Posts

fejten23 said:
OK, thanks for the input, folks...yeah, me and my riding buddy think that the noise sounds "other than good", and i am leaning toward a problem with the linkage/intallation, but my dealer keeps on telling me that it is "normal"...next question is, "how many have you guys installed?" (asked to the dealer,NOT to you guys) anyway, thanks a lot guys, be safe out there ! ! ! !
Shortly after I took delivery in February I decided to order and install an aftermarket centre stand. Little did I know thatthe installationwould be an all day job including the removal of the exhaust system and the reverse gear that the dealer had just installed, so that I could remove the exhaust system.
There are instructions that come with the reverse kit. You can also download them on one of the Vic forums. The proper adjustment of the shaft linkage is critical for the reverse gear to engage and work properly. Because mine was properly installed I just marked the location of the locking nuts on the threaded shaft. But I believe there is a specific measurement available. BTY - It is best to do the adjustment with the rear header absent. You also need three hands with tiny fingers, some small open end wrenches (preferably with hinged heads) and a good stiff drink to tighten down those lock nuts. Thankfully for me it was February and I had five weeks to wait until my first real ride.
If your dealer isn't being co-operative it is probably because they know they are going to tie their mechanic up for a full day and likely won't be compensated for it by Victory since they were the ones who installed (possibly incorrectly)the reverse kit in the first place. Might be better to take it to another dealer.

·
Registered
868 Posts
At last I got time for a ride when it wasn't raining and I tested my reverse. The only time I could hear a slight whining noise using reverse was when the reverse was acting as a brake when the bike had gravity pushing it backwards. I had a full face helmet on, but I was concentrating on listening for clunking noises and there were none.
All good and smooth on mine. Should be too as it was $3,338.00 Aussie dollars option. I wonder if the cost is the reason mine was the first one they had fitted?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, here is the latest skinny: thanks to all of your info, and some calls made to other dealers, i went to my dealer today and laid out my situation and all of my info. the mechanic told me that SOME noise is acceptable, he backed this up by explaining that they talked to "bob" the victory guy (at Victory in MN or IA), and he said that the noise was 'ok'. i then had him get on the bike and try the reverse...the reverse made a single clack and he commented that is wasn't unusual, as he continued to reverse there was another single clack. at this point he came to a small transition (incline)in the cement that offered some resistence to the bike, the bike stopped reversing and the clacking noise sounded like a pneumaticimpact wrench. this was when the mech said, "that's NOT good." he kept the bike for 5k service and checked the reverse, which, it turned out, was LOOSLY installed; it has been remedied and now works on a major incline with NO NOISE and NO SLIPPING. i am HAPPY!! thanks to all ofyou who contributed to this forum. safe riding, and have fun! ciao ! ! ! ! !

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
TrevorWantsAvision said:
is there any way of putting the reverse kit on an 08? Just wondering.
Nope. As for the dealer's comments of "that's Normal", Are you freaking kidding me???? This is the kind of garbage that gives everyone a bad name. Total and complete lack of pride in their work. Do the damn job right the first time.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
OK, here is the latest skinny: thanks to all of your info, and some calls made to other dealers, i went to my dealer today and laid out my situation and all of my info. the mechanic told me that SOME noise is acceptable, he backed this up by explaining that they talked to "bob" the victory guy (at Victory in MN or IA), and he said that the noise was 'ok'. i then had him get on the bike and try the reverse...the reverse made a single clack and he commented that is wasn't unusual, as he continued to reverse there was another single clack. at this point he came to a small transition (incline)in the cement that offered some resistence to the bike, the bike stopped reversing and the clacking noise sounded like a pneumaticimpact wrench. this was when the mech said, "that's NOT good." he kept the bike for 5k service and checked the reverse, which, it turned out, was LOOSLY installed; it has been remedied and now works on a major incline with NO NOISE and NO SLIPPING. i am HAPPY!! thanks to all ofyou who contributed to this forum. safe riding, and have fun! ciao ! ! ! ! !
This is EXACTLY what the unicorn crossbow is doing now. A little incline resistance in reverse and clickety clack ratcheting sound. H E L P. I think that I read that the installation instructions were in a pull down tab on a Victory Facebook page. I don't do Facebook. Again H E L P !!!!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Hold the rescue team........long ago when Polaris pulled our plug, my friend and he is why I decided to get a Victory, found the complete shop manuals for our respective bikes, thanks again to Rainman. There is about 4.pages on just the reverse in section 11.11 to 11:14 with exploded mechanical drawings and instructions for the Vic techs. The tech manuals are invaluable for those of us that try to do our own work because we're virtually on our own already.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
G
Hold the rescue team........long ago when Polaris pulled our plug, my friend and he is why I decided to get a Victory, found the complete shop manuals for our respective bikes, thanks again to Rainman. There is about 4.pages on just the reverse in section 11.11 to 11:14 with exploded mechanical drawings and instructions for the Vic techs. The tech manuals are invaluable for those of us that try to do our own work because we're virtually on our own already.
great to hear! Was going to @ @BrotherWind as I think he recently did some reverse gear work.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.