VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that Victory will be offering the Garmin Zumo 660 GPS as an option on the 2010 Vision Models. This replaces the Garmin 2720 and 2820 of yesteryear.

While this is a sleeker model, the factory/dealers will be dealing with the same issues with this model as they have in the past with other models...Pricing.

As you can see, Victory will be charging $850 for the Garmin Zumo 660, plus $150 for a mount.

If you do a quick Amazon search, you'll find out that the current price for a NEW Nuvi 660 at $800.

*Edited from a previous post*

As we have learned, electronics do not hold their retail value and are typically found at discounted prices from reliable sources. Surely, within a few months the prices will fall dramatically and refurbished models will be available and greatly reduced prices.

I realize that it's difficult for a motorcycle dealer to attempt to make a profit off of accessories that are available from multiple sources online...especially consumer electronic products.

At some point, Victory and the Dealers need to wake up and realize that they might be doing a better service to their buyers if they simply provided the mount and installation and simply advised the customers that this "plug and play" device can be found online for much less than the dealers could ever attempt to offer. Also, like all electronics, the prices will continue to fall, so by the time the new Visions arrive in showrooms, the price of a new until will most likely be much less than it is today.

Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be the first to admit when I've made a mistake and I did with this initial post as I confused the Zumo and Nuvi. The post above has been corrected.

We'll be watching the prices of the Zumo when the new bikes start shipping and can use this thread to inform potential purchasers of some of the deals that will surely be surfacing on this product.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

GARMIN Zumo 660 GPS Motorcycle Navigation NEW!
Item condition:New
Time left:4 days 8 hours (Jul 27, 200916:35:05 PDT)
Quantity:

10 available
Please enter a quantity of $quantity$ or less
Please enter a quantity of 1
Price:US $720.95Buy It NowBuy It NowBuy It Now
You can also:Watch this item
Now watching in My eBay
Shipping:FREE shippingUPS GroundSee more servicesSee discounts| See all details
Estimated delivery within 2-7 business days
Returns:
14 daymoney back,buyer pays return shipping| Read details
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Coverage:
Pay with
and your full purchase price is covered | See terms
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm surprised over the shock that an electronic part from the factory costs more than what you can buy it for on the street. Take a look at car stereos. The consumer pays a premium for a substandard system. For the same cost a person could go out and purchase a much better aftermarket audio system. And don't even bother looking at the "premium" audio packages offered by car manufacturers. My point is that things like this by nature are going to be overpriced from the factory. Many people will just add it to their purchase price and financing rather than go out, buy it on the street and install it themself. I can't see Victory really targeting this as an add-on post purchase, I've got to assume the target market is the person shelling out 22k, doing financing and not wanting to spend another $700-800 out of pocket. This will be an item that a consumer uses for their "$1000 in free parts and accessories" or whatever promotion.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I have had the Nuvi 660 in my car for a little over a year now and i like it, it is different from the Zumo but not exactly sure how. I have always had Magellan in the past and this is my first Garmin. I like some of the features of the Magellan better but the Garmin is a very good unit.
The prices that Victory is selling them for is nuts. Just like everything else vic gets their hands on.
Avoid the middle man if possible.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Is $50 over what you can buy it for off Amazon that much of a mark-up? Thats only 6.3% higher. Obviously the price will fall in the aftermarket as time goes by. I don't know if the mount and wiring harness are specific to the Vision, can you get the same mount on Amazon? As I said, I don't think this is targeted for a post purchase upgrade anyway, it will be an add on accessory at the time of the bike purchase. They have to offer some sort of GPS but it's not like they are pumping out the numbers other resellers will be. How many of these units will they actually sell? How many would they sell if they pricematched Amazon? Would there really be that big of a difference? Many people are going to prefer a different model or manufacturer so I don't see them having a huge stock of these anyway.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

I would think the price should be the same or a bit lower then MSRP. I don't think any of us would buy a car for MSRP or a house for it's asking price? Maybe I am wrong. But they are asking $50.00 over MSRP and a $130.00 over online retailers? The manufacturer puts out an MSRP number which already includes markup for a dealer so why charge more then that? The guy selling it for $720.00 is including shipping ($10.00)and advertising($5.00) andcredit card fees (2%)so even if he is only marking it up 5% (which I doubt) that makes the buy price from Garmin around $656.36+- that puts the Victory price at 33% markup. I wish I made 33% gross in my business...

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trust me, you'll see the prices falling over the next few months. It's just the nature of the beast of the consumer electronics industry.

As units are returned, they will be recycled and resold as refurbished units at even greater discounts. While I can't speak for anyone other than myself, having a refurbed GPS on a bike is not necessarily a bad thing...as long as it works and has some sort of factory warranty. Garmin has an excellent reputation for standing behind their products. Other companies could learn from them as if you've ever had a problem with a Garmin product, the after sales support is as good as it gets and will increase the comfort level when it's time to buy a new one. At least, that's MY experience with Garmin.

When the refurbished models hit the market, as long as it's CLEARLY marked that it is a refurbished product so that you know what you're buying BEFORE you make the purchase, it could be a nice way of saving a few (or a few hundred) bucks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If I was making the decision for Victory marketing, I would just include the GPS unit on the Vision Tour (already installed) and charge you for it.

Since the "Street" Visions have been replaced by the 8-Ball version and touring riders are the ones most likely to need/want a GPS, it seems a mistake to give the customer the option to purchase elsewhere.

Honda wouldn't make that mistake.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tarpits99 said:
If I was making the decision for Victory marketing, I would just include the GPS unit on the Vision Tour (already installed) and charge you for it.

Since the "Street" Visions have been replaced by the 8-Ball version and touring riders are the ones most likely to need/want a GPS, it seems a mistake to give the customer the option to purchase elsewhere.

Honda wouldn't make that mistake.
They tried that with the Anniversary Vision and, I'll say this nicely, there were problems. Here's a link to a thread about that situation:

http://thevog.net/forums/display_topic/id_350/

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tarpits,

I must respectfully disagree with your comment. The fact is, I find that something that is an OEM part that truly isn't OEM is not the best option. The fact is, if I would look at something that is 1/2 the price but just as good as the optional part, I am changing it.

So, my thought based on what Andy said and a few others. Yes, I too find that pricing on electronics is a finite thing. The prices drop rapidly and if you are willing to do some homework. I found a 2820 for my V V a month after I purchased my bike. I bought it and put it on for 50% of what Victory was asking for theirs with all the dealerships already installed. Now, not to say it was ethical, but I found a site that had the data available for download and I installed it. I found it mostly useless as dealers were changing almost daily in my neck of the woods which made me seriously consider whether the information would be worthwhile out on the road.

My next step is to update my old 2820 from last year to a newer 660 Zumo this year. I can't imagine it will be too difficult. So, my point is, if they offer something that is over priced with little to no incentive to purchase it (they didn't offer anything extra that I couldn't find on my own with a little searching). So, why pay extra for no or very little extra? I wouldn't and would not expect anyone else too either.

The bottom line is simple, if you can find it (whatever the widget is) somewhere for less money, go for it. If the company is not smart enough to offer something truly extraordinary, I am not buying. I will do my own homework and find something that works the same if not better for less money and pick it up!

The GPS is THE prime example. A little homework and looking at the Victory badged 2720, I found the newer model for 1/2 price. Why? Why would Victory not earn MY loyalty by saying...hey, we offered part X for Y dollars but now you can find the same thing for less. But hey, we are offering you all of our dealerships data online for 19.99. I would have purchased that in a heartbeat while taking the chance that it is good/bad. Not to bring up a poor example, but Microsoft is AWESOME at this. They offer up a fairly good product. But they don't make me stick to one platform (a dell, HP or some other computer) in order to use it. They make a butt ton of money on a piece of software offered at a reasonable price and they don't stick me to having to put it on one particular computer. IF Victory did this, I would be in the local dealer shop looking for all kinds of other parts knowing full well that they have ME, their customer's best interest at heart.

Sadly, I am not loyal to any company that isn't looking out for my best interest. My dealer did a great job at correcting issues that they didn't HAVE to correct. But, because they went above and beyond and explained the issue, I will probably not head off to somewhere else to get my service done even though they are bit more expensive than the next competitor. This dealer had MY best interest at heart and I am now loyal to them until they prove they no longer deserve my patronage.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Andy/Elroy

I remember the flap over the GPS on the 10th Anniversary. If they repeated that fiasco then they would deserve the negative response. It is not as if these units couldn't have easily be sold in NEW un-opened boxes leaving the installation up to the dealer when the client buys the bike. The registration and updating could have been the responsibility of the buyer.

As to cost factors and perceived value. Its very easy to see a difference in the cost of electronics when you are looking at discount vendors "street" pricing vrs retail price from a Victory Dealer or from Polaris. However I fail to see how a manufacturer cant hide the "extra" charge for the GPS in the list price of a new $23K bike. If they cant do that on a model year change then I respectfully submit that they are not trying very hard.

I too purchased my 2720 for $150 (a factory refurb on Ebay) and bought the mount from my dealer.

All I'm saying is that if Victory's goal is to sell more GPS units and increase profits then the easiest way is to do this is to recognize your points and hide the cost of the unit in the price of the new touring bike , a product aimed at buyers who probably would want a GPS to begin with.

Victory cant compete with discount vendors of name brands, that's a given. The only other options that they have are to abandon the potential sales and let the buyer figure out how to integrate their own solutions; or sell the limited number of units that they do sell at what are perceived as "outrageous" prices to buyers who want one guy (the dealer) to go to when they have a problem.

I dont view this as an issue of Victory not looking out for their customers interests. I look at it as an accessory package purchase. Like on an automobile. You don't get leather seating or ipod connectivity without other upgrades you may not want. But we all accept this as the way cars are equipped and sold.

We certainly dont get to decide which of the 150 junk channels our cable company offers that we want. They come as packages. We're forced to pay for religious channels, sports channels, animal channels, etc whether we watch them or not.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

Is Victory's mark up that different than the auto manufactorers? Or HD for that matter? I got a flier in the mail yesterday from the local HD shop. 60 dollars for a friggen T-Shirt. It has their name on it. Take the name off it's 20, still a big profit.
This is why there are choices.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
tarpits99 said:
Its very easy to see a difference in the cost of electronics when you are looking at discount vendors "street" pricing vrs retail price from a Victory Dealer or from Polaris.

Victory cant compete with discount vendors of name brands, that's a given.
I dont view this as an issue of Victory not looking out for their customers interests.
Tarpits,
The only problem I have with the whole issue is why is Victory charging more then MSRP. We all know that for the most part MSRP pricing is higher then even the retail price. So there should be adequet profit already built in for the dealers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.