VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure that there are other owners out there who have experienced buffeting on their crossroads above 65 mph. I would be blown out of my lane or the bike would become very unstable. My solution was to buy lower deflectors from Victory at their ripped off prices. I am also investigating Cee Bailey windshields that look like stock but do not have the lower part of the windshield cut out like the stock windshield. Even though the lower deflectors have drastically curtailed a lot of the buffeting, I believe that I am still getting dirty air through the lower part of the windshield.I am surprised that Victory did not install the lower deflectors as oem equipment. Being so cheap won't help them grow their owners loyality. If they want to go head to head with Harley, the got to think outside the box and not sell like Harley and live on after market necessaities. Come on Victory the product u sell has to be a notch above and making a cruiser the gets blown all over the road at 65mph and above is not the way to do it

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Buffeting and getting blown around on the highway are 2 completely different issues. ANY bike gets blown around on the highway by high or gusty winds, no way to stop that. If you're actually getting blown out of your lane you either need to change your riding technique or quit riding into tornadoes. If you think HD is so great, try an Electra Glide in high winds and see how you get moved around on the highway ;-)
My XC is actually comparatively stable in the wind and I'm sure the CR is even better considering it has no fairing.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

bikendad said:
Buffeting and getting blown around on the highway are 2 completely different issues. ANY bike gets blown around on the highway by high or gusty winds, no way to stop that. If you're actually getting blown out of your lane you either need to change your riding technique or quit riding into tornadoes. If you think HD is so great, try an Electra Glide in high winds and see how you get moved around on the highway ;-)
My XC is actually comparatively stable in the wind and I'm sure the CR is even better considering it has no fairing.
Actually I guess I didnt read the whole post last night but Bikendad is right. As many negatives I had on the bike when I first road it getting blown around was not one of them and we were doing speeds over 100. I am with you one the buffeting issue but the bike was as stable (or better) as any other bike I have been on.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

A lot of folks snivel and whine about the cost of things, like lower deflectors. Heck, I've made probably 8-10 pairs and replacements when they got "broke" for maybe $20 a set. Face it, a bike, even a Victory or a HD is just a bunch of nuts and bolts and stuff. It isn't holy or something to genuflect in front of...
If you are creative you can make darn near anything for it. A guy made a luggage rack for a CC for $50. I'd like to know where he got the chrome done so cheap, but that's another story. I think I saw it on theVog.net., could be mistaken. Perhaps a windshield is too difficult, but lower deflectors are a piece of cake. I personally think the Vic lowers are too short, IMHO.
Folks are creative, and you can think of things for yourselves - it doesn't have to come out of a box. OK, off the soap box.
eta moya dva rubles
fb

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Stick you hand out the car window at anything above 35 mph and see what happens.
I know this might come as a shock to everyone but , when you ride out in the wind, you get WIND! And the faster you go, the more Wind you get.
Yes I know the difference between wind and buffeting so you don't have to go there, but don't we ride because we want the wind in our hair? I agree there are steps you can make so that your hair doesn't get blown off your dome, but we all love being out in it, so enjoy ! :)

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
foambuilder said:
A lot of folks snivel and whine about the cost of things, like lower deflectors. Heck, I've made probably 8-10 pairs and replacements when they got "broke" for maybe $20 a set. Face it, a bike, even a Victory or a HD is just a bunch of nuts and bolts and stuff. It isn't holy or something to genuflect in front of...
If you are creative you can make darn near anything for it. A guy made a luggage rack for a CC for $50. I'd like to know where he got the chrome done so cheap, but that's another story. I think I saw it on theVog.net., could be mistaken. Perhaps a windshield is too difficult, but lower deflectors are a piece of cake. I personally think the Vic lowers are too short, IMHO.
Folks are creative, and you can think of things for yourselves - it doesn't have to come out of a box. OK, off the soap box.
eta moya dva rubles
fb
I have 2 sets of aluminum lowers in stock size and shape. Im going to experiment with adding sides and length for cold and rain. If it doesnt work, ill try different sizes and shapes until im happy .

·
Registered
870 Posts
When it is very windy you get blown about when walking, and expecting a bike to fix that is asking a lot. I feel the effects of side winds push my body more than it pushes the vision. If you want a more scary ride hop on high center of gravity bikes like my previous rides a V Strom and a KLR650. Both great bikes but scary in strong cross winds.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree with the above post that states that the XC should have came with the lower wind deflectors. Even the bike that Victory was using on the Fuel it tour here in Canada had them on.
But I also agree with the side wind statement, that is expected with any bike with any kind on surface area ( fairings, bags etc...) It is part of riding.

All in all I LOVE my XC, I was a little concerned with the wind issues around the fairing but nothing a couple of wind deflectors ( lowers and Kewl metal upper )and a 13" windshield didn't fix. Now it is an amazing bike to ride end enjoy. I hope that you can get yours to where you are enjoying it as well.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

Boring Topic, it's a motorcyle.
I had to addjust to my Vision when I first bought it. Let loose of the death grip on the grips and enjoy that puppy. The less you fight it the better it is.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts

Anyone looking to buy anything these days probably spends at least some time on the internet investigating and gathering knowledge. Thebuffetting issue, the possible need fora taller windshield and orlowers should be on the potential buyers list and mind when they go to test ride and ultimately buy either x bike. My dealer told me that they have solved more issues of buffetting with lowers before they have gone to taller windshields.
The issue is about as moote as which oil shouldbe used.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
stilcrazee said:
Anyone looking to buy anything these days probably spends at least some time on the internet investigating and gathering knowledge. Thebuffetting issue, the possible need fora taller windshield and orlowers should be on the potential buyers list and mind when they go to test ride and ultimately buy either x bike. My dealer told me that they have solved more issues of buffetting with lowers before they have gone to taller windshields.
The issue is about as moote as which oil shouldbe used.
Just my opinion.
+1 Like I said in another post after that wonderful review I did I got to ride a XR with the stock shield and the lowers. What a difference!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
foambuilder said:
eta moya dva rubles
fb
That was on here, but I don't think it is chrome, it looks like it could be polished stainless???
http://thevog.net/forums/display_topic/id_5108/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone installed the Cee Baileys on their Cross Roads?

Does it make a big difference? How are the built-in lowers?

I'm 5'6" and the OEM shield is just a bit tall for me (maybe 2" or so) and was considering about buying a Cee Baileys.

Appreciate your thoughts.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.