2010 Victory Cross Country No No start | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

2010 Victory Cross Country No No start

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by 13MiHardBall, Sep 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. 13MiHardBall

13MiHardBall New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Victory HardBall
    My dad and I have been working on his 2010 cross country for the past 2 weeks. While he was coming home from the doctor's office it quit running. So we towed at home and have been checking and changing everything on it to get it to run.

Checked the battery it checks out. Changed spark plugs, 40 amp breaker, and flasher relay. Still will not start.

It cranks over has spark. Gets fuel to the front cylinder because when I checked plugs it was wet after priming the fuel pump, but no sign of fuel on rear cylinder. It has good compression. I'm starting to think it's the fuel pump possibly. Anyone have any idea how to check fuel pressure on Cross bikes? There's no Schrader valve on them.

Just looking for some guidance.

2. nakota7

nakota7 Active Member

Cross Country
    upload_2021-9-2_10-45-9.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

2012 Crossroads LE, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    Buying or downloading a service manual is an absolute necessity. Saves a lot of money, emphasize a lot of money. 1 hour shop time = $100 +or-. And time which as far as I know you can't buy more of.

4. 13MiHardBall

13MiHardBall New Member

2013 Victory HardBall
    I have a shop manual. Just was wondering if anyone has any ideas about what could possibly be the issue.

5. normthenomad

You've checked the usual suspects.
    How many miles are on the bike? nkota seems to be working from the same manual you should have, which is what prompted my comment.
    Have you tried the TPS reset? Are you absolutely sure the battery cables are really tight ?
    The bike just shutting down is pretty unusual. Usually they'll fart and stumble a little before shutting down.
    The troubleshooting section nkota posted is the same as I would have suggested.
    Hardly anyone changes their fuel filters when they should, including me, because it's such a pain.
    You're missing something because if you have good compression, fuel and spark gasoline will ignite.The only thing lacking is air in your post. Bad throttle body adapter maybe?

6. 13MiHardBall

13MiHardBall New Member

2013 Victory HardBall
    I have checked all of the cables, did TPS reset. Milage on the bike is 7k. Could be a bad boot. Taking the tank off this weekend since I have time.

7. normthenomad

11 model years old with 7k.Its sat unridden a lot. I've bought two Vics that were very low miles that had catastrophic tank lining failures. I'm thinking That's what's happened. If that turns out to be the case GTL 818-759-4724can clean it reline with epoxy and save your paint. or do what I do; clean the liner out as best you can,( you get to look that up yourself.) And run raw steel inside your tank, I keep them full when I pull in after a ride and dose them with Marvel mystery oil.
    Started riding long before they started lining tanks. Do not use kits like Kreem or Por they will lift.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. 13MiHardBall

13MiHardBall New Member

2013 Victory HardBall
    Well after running through everything on the bike I have found the problem. The Crankshaft Position Sensor was bad. It didn't throw any codes or anything. Thanks for everyone that helped and commented.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  9. Smokier104

Smokier104 Active Member

'14 Cross County Tour
    So I can learn, how did you determine and confirm that the CRANK POSITION SENSOR is the problem?

Ride Safe,
    Smokier

• Like Like x 1
  10. 13MiHardBall

13MiHardBall New Member

2013 Victory HardBall
    On how I determined that it was the CPS was running through the steps. I have air, fuel, good fuel pressor and spark. So I then looks closely to the spark, it was off timing. I then checked the Ohms per the manual, it came up with zero resistance. Changed to a new CPS and bam fires right up. While looking at the old CPS it looks like it had some build up on it that caused it to fail.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2