VOG Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought anew midnight cherry kingpin. I love the color and looking for some advice on upgrades. I am going to get the 2 in. pull back bars soon and would like to change seat. It seems a lot of people are suggesting the mustang w/drivers back rest. I want to go with a two pc. setup as I want to be able to remove the passenger seat occassionally for the solo look. My concern is the further back seating that is mentioned on the Mustang will defeat the gain in the pullback handlebars. Has anybody used the new single pc. driver's seat w/ backrest offered by Victory and will it work with a Victory passenger pillon?
I would also like to eventually add a 2/1 perfomance pipe. I haveread a lot of people were happy with the Bassini 2/1 on eariler models. Does anybody have it on later models? The Victory 2/1 is another option but the Bassini long collector 2/1 looks appeal to me better. I also have read to go with theSS air upgrade when changing pipes.
I came from a Yamaha Stratoliner and thought I would try the Victory, my first. I like thelooks and from what I have read the dependability compares or exceeds the Stratoliner. Iwas a member of aStratoliner forum which was very rewarding, hence joining this forum.Thanks for any input on the above and look forward to participating in this forum.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Gentlemanjack,

Welcome! I completely understand where you are coming from as my last bike was a Roadliner Midnight with the Strat package. Here is what I think you are going to find pretty quickly. The power is very close but the Victory motor just feels so much better in the higher RPM range than the 113 ci stump puller in the Star...add in the 6th gear and the difference is amazing.

The bars being narrower will give you a much better feel and trust me when I say this, get the driver's backrest when you get the Mustang seat. The backrest pushes you back forward slightly and the support takes all the relief off your upper back. Highway bars would be another "must have" for me. I really liked the Linby bars on my Roadliner.

As far as handling, you're gonna find that as good as the 'Liner was, the Kingpin is even better as it it just feels so mush lighter. You giving up some low end power but unless you are drag racing this thing you are going to be very happy with this motor.

I am a member of the YMF forum and it was a great group of people....in fact I still go over there often. The VOG is just about the best forum I have ever been on so welcome and hope you keep coming back.

BTW......we need PICTURES!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks,
Phoenix9 for your response. The kingpin does have less low end torque but the highway cruising speed is a lot smoother. It being lighter and with the handle bars as you stated it does handle a lot better also.
I do needto reduce the reach a fewinches. That is whyI am going with the 2in. pullback handlebars. I had a mustang w/backrest on the strato. It actually set closer than the stock. They are good seats but I do not want to loose thereduction in reachwith the pullback handlebars. I have read on this forum that the mustang seat compared to stock pushes you back around 1 3/4 in. I take it you think with the backrest on the mustang I will notloose anything for the stock setup.

·
Registered
717 Posts

Even with the backrest you are going toincrease the reachsome. I noticed a difference when I switched over to thetwo piece Mustang seat. Which for me was great. I found some smaller head bolts to use with the passenger backrest, less chance of scratching the fender when taking it off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I will try the pullback handlebars first and try to see if I can find out more on the new Victory solo driver seat with backrest. The way they have it listed under the parts on the Polaris website it can be used with the a stock pillon. I think the Mustangrequires a Mustang pillon becauseit doessit further back.
You are posting some big performance numbers with your setup. Iplan on doing some performance mods when I get my comfort worked out.
I am thinking of going with a 2/1 victory or Bassini long collector 2/1. I am trying to find out if the Bassini will still work with the later model closed injection engines. I like the look of it better. I have read the the S&S air intake seems to be the way to go when adding performance pipes.
By the way Phoenix9said something about posting pictures. What is the procedure for doing that? I did not see anything that was obvious but being new to the forum have not dug very deep.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
RE: the pictures, I'll try and make it as easy as possible for you. There is a size limitation on each picture (500X800 I think) but here is how you get around that and make posting pics EASY. Go to your profile, then click on "Gallery", then click on "Upload your images".....upload as many as you want.

You can upload as many pics as you want as Andy has all of us set up with an unlimited size folder..........once you upload the photos they will be stored in your personal gallery on your "public page".

Now that you have several pics in your personal gallery, when you want to add a pic to one of your threads all you need to do is go to your gallery (in a new tab) and copy the pic and paste it into your post.......if you are using Mozilla (firefox) instead of Explorer then you will need to "Drag" the picture into the other tab and place it in your thread.

Also, if you see a picture already on the internet it is already sized correctly and can be copied and pasted directly to a thread without having to dump it into your gallery first.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
welcome to the KP club. love that color you got. def. get the S&S intake when doing the pipes. 2 into 1 pipes for the most part will produce more power. check out the picture gallery for ideas for your KP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.