VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Sorry...new to the forums and I posted this earlier under General Topics, instead of here)
I have been riding for over 20 years. However, I have always owned the smaller engined cruiser type bikes with the biggest being my current bike which is a 03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia (they now call them Boulevards). (805cc engine)
My wife and I have been looking at moving intoa touring bike. We had an opportunity to take a 2009 Victory Vision out for a test ride and although it was only about a 10 mile ride, I fell in love with the bike. But there again...it's the only touring bike I've every tried. And then to make matters harder...the dealer calls me this morning and he has a 2009 Vision Tour Premium version with only 64 miles on it from the factory, from some promotion that Victory had done. He is taking $4000.00 off the price tag and throwing in a Stage 1 Level 1 upgrade to it, with a 5 year warranty also!
Total Cost $19,500 in the dark Cherry color which he said was a upgrade as well. The previous price on a new one with 0 miles was $23,627 last week when I test rode it.
So with that being said...I'm afraid if I wait ...it will go to someone else.
However, I am afraid that if I jump into this without testing other brands such as the Honda Goldwing...will I be making a mistake? I am 6 foot 1 and weigh 260, so I'm not a little guy by any means. I know alot of people hate the looks of the Vision, but I've always liked owning something "different" from the rest. My other worry was ...will they make alot of changes to the Vision in 2010 ,then ...I'll have a bike without them? Who knew this would be such a decision. I'm not wealthy by no means, so this is a major investment for my wife and I.
I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone that may know something about the Goldwings or if you actaully owned one before? I'm afraid if I don't jump at this Vision...a deal like this may not come around again.
Thanks
Mike
[email protected]

·
Registered
27 Posts

Volusiarider - You have a fun choice to make. The Goldwing is a solid machine but then you are being offered a great, and I mean great, deal on the Vision. Neither machine is perfect so don't be afraid that you will miss out one way or the other. We took a 500 miler through sothern OHIO backroads last Saturday. I was on my new Vison following a two-up Wing. They were moving fast but I had no problem staying right with them through turn after turn. After the long day I could have kept going, the Wing and Harley guys had had enough!My bike hasabout the same fuleingrange (mileage)as the wing.
I am about your size and the vision fits me fine.
I bought an ice blue vision, thought I would get nothing but sneers and negative comments. To my surpriseIve beengetting nothing but wow and cool positive remarks.
Cheer up... you are going to get a good machine. One way or the other. If you wait till inflation and higher interest rateskick in you may find it hard to purchase.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Volusia...I to have purchased a Vision 2209. The deal you are being made seems very good considering what I paid for mine. Nevertheless, I am very pleased with my purchase. Prior to making my touring decision I tested the Goldwing and a couple of Harley's. (can't remember which ones just this moment) and also a BMW. Both were too small for me. I needed to stretch my legs and the Vision as is fit perfect. Like you I fell in love with it on a 10 mile test ride!I am 6"4" and weigh in at 220. My wife is short and stocky so we pack a load on the Vision. Took it to Tomahawk Wisconsin for the weekend (about 500 miles total) and it road, purred and kept up with everything. Even had to hammer down in 6th once and had no problem overtaking a cage to pass. Lots of power to spare! You can't go wrong with any of the bikes mention. However, if the Vision fit....you will love all of the features and looks! IMHO

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi from Australia Mike , I now own a Blue Ice 2009 Vision Street . My last 7 bikes were in order from latest to oldest were . HD Night Rod Special , 2006 GL1800 , 2001 GL1800 , Honda Valkyrie Interstate , Valkyrie Std , 1997 GL1500 SE and a 1995 GL1500 , So I am very much up to answering your question. The Goldwing is a fantastic machine , easy to ride , great features , up to and inc airbag , so smooth , ah what a ride , but now I own a Vision you say . I wanted a change from the Wings ,because frankly I had got bored with it , so I got the VROD HD , had that for a year and as it didn,t do what I wanted. I sold it and bought a Vision . The Vision is the equal of the Wing in many ways ,with many features the same ,but not quite as smooth or powerful [ 6cyl 1800 v 2 cyl1730 ] so no surprises there . The Wing has superior carrying space in the saddle bags for sure , but the top box is just about the same . Wing on top so far ,but dont forget , the GL1800 has been out since 2001 , virtually unchanged and the Victory Vision is very new indead . but I just love all the things that make a Vision different , V- Twin feel , styling is just stunning , being just a little different from everyone else , I-Pod compatable , on top of great handling and brakes , superb comfort , especially for the taller rider . [ you can really stretch out on the Vision ] and my wife absolutely loves it [ a serious consideration ] I did a lot of research first as Victory are very new to Australia , The bike has real character , had a few smart a$$ comments , mainly from HD riders , but a huge ammount of positive comments , also mainly from HD riders . You really stand out in a crowd , people just stop and stare , then come up to you for a chat . , Never had that on a Wing . So all in all , the bikes have a lot in common aka size and features etc , but the Vision for me just has that something . If you can get a Vision at a really great price grab it !!!!! You and yours will love it for sure . cheers MartyQ

·
Registered
172 Posts
Volusiarider,

"However, I amafraid that if I jump into this without testing other brands such asthe Honda Goldwing...will I be making a mistake? I am 6 foot 1 and weigh 260, so I'm not a little guy by any means. I know alot of people hate the looks of the Vision"

Please ride a Goldwing to compare.

Since I took home my Vision, one year and four days ago, I have put 10,720 miles on my Vision.

To date I have had only one "off color" remark made to me about the Vision. I have had maybe two neutral comments about the looks of the lines. The rest of the comments, that number well over a hundred, were quite positive. From "What is that?!?!" to "WOW!"

There should be a sticker that states the following over the key switch when you go to drive off with your new Victory Vision.

Warning: If you do not like meeting total strangers, answering questions about Victory (or parent company, Polaris, stock symbol PII),answering questions on the Vision and it features, demonstrating themotorized windshield, describing or physically demonstrating the tipover points, pointing out the cruise control switches, heated seats andgrips, opening the mp3/iPod player area, the gas cap door, and allluggage compartments, providing the price you paid for the Vision, thelocation of the nearest honest Victory dealer, the free demonstrationrides and the bikes top speed, do not buy the Vision.

Please know the engine displacement in cc and ci, gas mileage city andhighway do not forget to mention that it is an American Motorcycle.Designed in Minnesota and built in Iowa.

Be prepared: People will check out your Victory Vision at stop lights. (Yesterday a blond in a Land Rover smiled and gave me thumbs up.) Some will even roll down the window to ask a question (see list above) or make comments like, Cool, Wow! *Dat is da Real Playerz!

If purchased: You must also be kind to those who walk around yourVision when you are eating or shopping. When you are asked silly thingsabout the Vision such as "When did you steal George Jetson's bike" or"I saw this in the Batman movie", be thoughtful in your reply since,they might really want a Vision but have to many HD tattoos to turnback now, really do not want a Vision but that is OK and everyoneshould ride a motorcycle that they identify with, third be embarrassedthat they paid more for their HD Ultra Electra Glide but do not want toadmit it or finally; they go home, do some research and they might justbuy a Vision for themselves.

*I had to look up the "Real Playerz" comment because I had no clue what it meant.

·
Registered
425 Posts

I triedout a Goldwing, Harley (Ultra Classic and Road Glide), and Yamha Royal Star Venturebeforebuying my Vision. I just returned from a 2100+ mi ride to Monterey CA with my wife.Our bike was loaded down...Estimate that we were over a total of 1300 lbs. In fact, we had to UPS several itemsto our house because there was no room for the purchases we made onthe bike. Here's the real deal...TheVision is a fantastic touring bike. However, it's not quiteas smooth as a Goldwing butis muchsmoother than a Harley. Wespent up to 14 hours a day of "gas and go" time onour bikewith noproblems - in spite of thefact thatthe air temp was103+ degrees in several area's of CA. The most miles werode on one tank of gas was237 before filling up. Atthat point we took 5.56gallons out of a 6 gallon tank. Our cruisespeed was approx 75 mph on CA's 70 mphhighways. I can recall a1hour + stint whereI didn'ttake the bike off of cruise control in the Fresno/Sacramento Valley.Problems: None tobe really concerned about. Wediddevelop a slight drive belt "squeak" at low speeds that disappeared at freeway speeds. Took the bike to the dealer and found that there was a very slight drive belt misalighment. Changed the oil and I'm now ready to get on the road a again! Insummary: The wife was happy and I'm very pleased with the bike. Just turned over 11.3k miles sinceDec 2008...Oh, one by the way... I didpurchase and install "Cryognitcally Enhanced Spark (frozen) Plugs. The bike seems to runbetter with them installed but I can't say for certain yet.... ...

·
Registered
807 Posts
V-rider,since you'rea thinking kinda guy (evidenced by your gathering info before making the leap), I assume you're checking out a Honda GW website as well for opposing views. I'm just curious what the other side thinks. Care to report?

·
Registered
279 Posts

Dimonback said:
V-rider,since you'rea thinking kinda guy (evidenced by your gathering info before making the leap), I assume you're checking out a Honda GW website as well for opposing views. I'm just curious what the other side thinks. Care to report?
I would be curious as well...
Typically if you go to a manufacture specific forum you'll get a bias opinion. I was on another, let's just say American V-twin manufacture, and they were just bashing the Vision... Some try to reel them in, but yikes... Mostly it was the looks; just to far out there for the "traditional-ist" people...

·
Registered
126 Posts

So............. okay V-Rider.... it's now Friday evening and everyone here is waiting on baited breath waiting to find out what you got? V or Gold or HD?
Let us know!!!
VVVet

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Well...1st let me "Thank" EVERONE, who took the time to give me their comments, advice and everything.
After reading everyones post, the Vision won hands down and I was getting a awesome deal from the dealership. He knocked the price down to $19,500 which included the $500 charge for the Midnight Cherry paint. He was also going to throw in the Stage 1 Level 1 upgrade for FREE as well. On top of that...he was knocking off 50% on the cost of the Gatling Tips and adding the Lower air louvers to the front fairing for more air flow with free installation all for $300.00.
I went to the Bank...actually a Credit Union here locally and they were giving me a good rate of 4.75% for 5 years or 5.5% for 6 years...my choice. The loan was approved...
I was all set to pick the Bike up Friday afternoon....but here's the Killer of the story....
My wife of 32 years freaked out Friday morning saying she didn't think we could afford the bike after all...the payment was going to be $345.00 for the 6 year term we decided on. We have a car payment which will be paid off in Nov of 2010 amd things would be easier then or so she thinks! So with all that being said...I'm still riding the 03 Suzuki "Volusia" that I've owned for the last 5 years. (didn't trade it in as my son was going to buy it from me)
I can't even begin to say how much I'm devastated by all this....it was in my hands one second and gone the next....Things are still pretty tense between the wife and I, but hopefully we will get through this. She does the monthly bills, so I guess she has a better idea as to where the $$$ goes instead of me.
I just feel like now..."IF" things are finacially better next year....that kind of "Deal" the dealership was giving me ...most certainly won't happen again, which I honestly can't blame them for...Here I am telling them to put the add ons to it ( the Tips and the Louvers), I'm suppose to pick the bike up and then I back out at the last minute. I really don't see myself having the nerve to ever show my face in that guys show room again.
I am just stuck with the memory of that ride that I had on it...ABSOLUTELY AMAZING !
Pretty hard sitting back on that small little 805cc Volusia...no radio. no cruise control...no WOW factor...on and on !!!
So...no need for anyone to give any further comments on this post.....my adventure has come to a quick END !!!!!!!
Thanks to all AGAIN !!
Ride Safe and enjoy your Visions....for me.....just a Vision of what might have been......
Mike O.
West Central Indiana

·
Registered
807 Posts

I know you aren't inviting comments, but had to throw in my two cents. It happens to all of us who aren't independently wealthy, or single (same thing, aren't they?)
Regardless, of course, if I can speak for others on the site, you're welcome to hang out, check out the info, etc.... and maybe you'll run across an even better deal. Lots of people buy a bike like that and never ride it!

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
+1 on the You're Welcomed Here comment above.

While this was a nice deal on a great bike, having harmony at home is a good thing. Your honesty is refreshing and greatly appreciated. It's no fun going so far into debt that you can't enjoy the bike or dread the monthly payments, insurance bills and the associated maintenance and future mod charges. Yes, it would be nice if bikes went up in value each year, but like cars, they depreciate. There will surely be other deals out there in the future. Also, having a happy Wife will surely make things easier on the home front.

While you know you will enjoy the bike, although you're not buying now, feel free to jump in on the threads to ask questions or throw your two cents into the mix. You never know, there may be be someone on this site who will be trading their bike in the near future and may be able to offer you a great, affordable deal on a gently used model.

In terms of the relationship with the dealer, my theory is to just be honest with him/her and let them know that you appreciated their attention and willingness to work with you. I'm sure they've faced this situation in the past and will experience it again in the future. Hopefully, they will understand your situation and keep the door open when you're ready to buy.

It speaks well of your spending habits that you qualified for credit...which is not an easy thing in this day and age as there is no stimulus package or bailout for riders...at least not yet! Until then, just stash away a few bucks each month to give you a larger down payment that will make the monthly payments much more affordable for you and to make the ownership experience much more pleasurable.

A very wise old man once told me something that has stuck with me over the years:

"Anything worth having is worth saving for."

·
Registered
917 Posts
At least you have a good bike to ride. Another sweet deal will come around when you're ready to buy. You don't owe that dealer a thing. He'll be more than happy to sell a bike to you next time. That's what they do. Stay tuned to the VOG we like real folks like you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Wow...this has to be the best Forum on the internet !!! Talk about making someone feel like a family member!
Again... a Big Thank You to everyone out there...
I did receive a e-mail back from the Victory Dealership's owner... I have to say, not only was he giving me a great deal on the Vision....he was a very Kind person as well....I expected him to be extremely upset with me and honestly I was very deserving of it had he been....I was so wrong..............

Hi Mike,
No Problems here! I understand completely and I am sure when the time is right you will be down to see me! Everybody's financial situation is different and I myself have been on both sides, so trust me I understand completely and all is fine as far as I am concerned!
Don't let this ruin your weekend though, we are going to have real good time and you should come down and enjoy! We have a Bike show today and a DJ and I have (20) new Victory's lined up of every shape and color to ride that they brought in on the Victory truck! I had people come and do our ride loop on 4 or 5 different bikes yesterday and hang out & tailgate most of the day and expect the more of the same today!
Hope to see you two there!

Bill

·
Registered
807 Posts

LOL... what??? Did you think we were riding Road Glides??
We're just a bunch of people disinclined to conformity. It makes for a different kind of crowd.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.