VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tead alot about people unplugging O2 sensors. Can anyone tell me if this is actually beneficial or not? I have a high flow filter with ram air box covers RPW slash exhaust and from what I was told from previous owner sounds like a stage 1 calibration card?

·
Super Moderator
26,098 Posts
Do it and see. If you don't see a change or like it plug them back in. Most find it helps though.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Unplugging thr o2 sensors tricks thr computer into running in start up mode all the time and adds more fuel to the air fuel mixture. Ot no longers meters fuel/air, it just gives it a full rich mixture all the time.

People do this when adding bolt on products that increase air flow. What they should be doing is getting a tune added to the bike instead

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unplugging thr o2 sensors tricks thr computer into running in start up mode all the time and adds more fuel to the air fuel mixture. Ot no longers meters fuel/air, it just gives it a full rich mixture all the time.

People do this when adding bolt on products that increase air flow. What they should be doing is getting a tune added to the bike instead
So probably of no use to me at all since it already has the stage 1 calibration card?

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
This is absolutely false... That's not how it works.

When the engine is cold the O2 sensors are not used by the ECU, so unplugging them does nothing during cold start and warm up since the ECU ignores them.

Once the engine is up to operating temperature and you are cruising at a steady state, the engine will use the O2 sensors in a closed loop operation to lean the mixture down to 14.7:1. The rest of the time the bike runs on a fixed fuel map (open loop operation) and the O2 sensors are not used. The bike is only part time closed loop. With the O2 sensors disconnected the bike is full time open loop and doesn't lean out at cruise. That's all... end of story...

The bike does not run richer... the bike is not in 'start-up' or 'cold engine' fueling all the time. There is no 'fooling' or 'tricking' the ECU. There will be no check engine light because the ECU doesn't give a f**k about those O2 sensors.

And remember, friends don't let friends ride closed loop.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Anytime. Both of my bikes have tuners and they both are greatly reduced from what a Vic usually does but they still do it from time to time.
Yeah mine came with the Arlen Ness Big Shot tuner, I think it's called. Was told that the baffles were drilled out when I bought it. Popped like crazy. But I got it dialed in pretty good now. She still backfires occasionally though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.