VOG Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reaching out for help as to what’s wrong with my bike. Recently installed a new battery as the old one was dead and while I was at it replaced the starter solenoid. Bike ran smooth for 2 weeks, until a few days ago. Bike worked Thursday and I rode it home, Friday morning no start. The lights don’t turn on, the gauges don’t turn on with key in and in on position, and the fuel pump does not engage.

i assumed the battery was flat so I took it out, put her on a tender and it was at 96% capacity with decent voltage. Reinstalled the battery and if I tap a wrench to the starter solenoid polls I get small sparks, so I know power is leaving the battery. However, nothing else is getting power. No dash or head/tail lights. Someone told me it may be the stator, which I don’t have immediate access to swapping. Trying to figure out if it may be a fuse thing? I’ve tried disconnecting and reconnecting every electrical connection I can and nothing changes. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as all I need to do is get her rolling long enough to get to a shop.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Disconnect the battery completely, hook jumper cables up to the cables, if everything powers up as it should then your battery is shorted out.

Had this happen on my Vegas and I used a jump pack instead of cables.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I agree with @NWidder, if you have no power to the bike then check the main breaker.
The positive battery wire would go directly to it.

Also, if you put a wrench between the solenoid poles your starter should have tried to turn. Did it?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Disconnect the battery completely, hook jumper cables up to the cables, if everything powers up as it should then your battery is shorted out.

Had this happen on my Vegas and I used a jump pack instead of cables.
I've had it happen twice in less than a year once on my Buell and once on my 06 Hammer. Both times it was because I bought a cheap battery, I live in a small town and all that was available was wal mart or o'reillys load tested them and both had shorted out. Got a week out of one and two days out of the other one. With a new battery hook it up to a battery tender and let it charge overnight. An off the shelf battery is not fully charged only about 80%. Yuasa or Interstate both give me good service, won't use house brand batterys ever again.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
It did not, sparking and holding a wrench both lead to nothing.
Perhaps we are not talking about the same thing.
Here is a picture of the solenoid. The smaller wire connector goes to your starter button.
The larger posts with the nuts, one goes to your battery and the other goes to the starter.
If you were to short the 2 large posts with something conductive then you are applying power directly from your battery to your starter and it will turn.
Make sure your bike is in neutral if you do this or it will shoot forward on you.
Is this the solenoid that you are talking about?
Audio equipment Gadget Cable Font Camera accessory

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yes, it is connected to the wire leading to the switch but nothing happens when I jump it manually
Then you are not getting power from your battery. Check/change the 40amp breaker on the power wire coming off of the battery.

Reactions: NWidder
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.