VOG Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to install a driver's back rest on my '08. Are this things rare? I can't seem to find anyone other than utopia that sells them and i really can't justify it costing that much. Can i modify other year models/ makes to fit?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
You have a few options-most will cost north of $250 by the time you either find a used seat with the backrest bracket already in it or purchase/install a bracket + the backrest. Lots of folks like their utopia ones, I put the victory bracket into my original seat & use a Victory rest & that cost me $240 back when you could find accessories. Watch Ebay, VOG marketplace, & the MC salvage yards is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Mine came with a utopia backrest. It's not much use to me being the SS that I am , I'm usually sitting to far forward to use it.

It is really nice when you're eating up some miles with the cruise on.

·
Super Moderator
26,110 Posts
Any Vision seat will fit any Vision. The 08 will require a hope to be cut but it is really not that hard of an install and the Utopia kit comes with what you will need.

I hade Utopia on the saddle for my 13 that is now on my 08. I've had it for years now. On my seat I had the slit so the install was straight bolt on. The Utopia rest itself is in one word awesome. It matches the stock seat perfectly and gives a nice wide support. I feel it is worth every penny I paid for it and it still looks great after all these years.

There is one thing to consider with it though. Being wide as it is some people find the passenger while two up will be uncomfortable on long rides because their legs rest on the sides of the backrest. So depending on the size of any pillion you have they may not like the Utopia. If they are thinner and have medium to long legs they should have no complaints. My wife is on the short side which creates about the same issue but it has never been a big enough bother for her to complain. She just has to keep herself back in the seat and not get up on the backrest.

Now on my 13 I have the Mustang seat with the included backrest. It is a better shape for my wife and she does prefer it. These saddles can be found for around $800 and vs. a custom Corbin I think well worth it. The only issues with them is they only work on the Vision in the Tour configuration. It will not work on a Street. This was no issue for me though since I have one of each but is something to consider if you take your truck on and off. Not that you couldn't just put the stock seat back on when you change things up.

Another option is the Grasshopper but from what I have seen it is not adjustable and if leaned on hard enough will bend. I haven't had one but have read enough about it to know I didn't want one. It is however another option that you may want to look at. There are plenty of threads on them here.

·
Super Moderator
26,110 Posts
Mine came with a utopia backrest. It's not much use to me being the SS that I am , I'm usually sitting to far forward to use it.

It is really nice when you're eating up some miles with the cruise on.
Have you tried a longer screw that could push the backrest farther out?

I know on the Mustang backrest I had on my Road King it stayed to far back to be useful for me. I found turning the adjust screw around pushed the rest more forward and put it just where I needed it.

·
Super Moderator
26,110 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.