2006 ecu vs 2008+ and power commander | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

2006 ecu vs 2008+ and power commander

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by MTScott, Mar 28, 2020.

1. MTScott

MTScott New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2006 Kingpin
    So I've had this 2006 Kingpin for a couple weeks, and I'm still learning about it. Doing some basic maintenance and up keep that I think the previous owner ignored, but I'm already ramping up for mods (pipes, maybe high comp pistons, etc)...

Before I do any other mods I think my first upgrade might be the Power Commander 5, which looks very capable for tuning and auto tuning. On one of the demos I watched, it appears to be able auto tune and take O2 readings from each individual cylinder and fuel each cylinder individually. I've done some EFI work in the past with megasquirt, so I'm fairly comfortable with this kind of thing.

My 06 does not appear to have O2 sensors installed, and there is only one bung (which is plugged) down lower past the floor board. The guy that sold me this said it had "Stage 1" pipes, and I really don't know if that is true.. he made no mention of a tune or other upgrades. I've found that maybe only the 2008+ models have dual sensors that run in closed loop, and prior to that it was open loop (feel free to correct me on any of this).

So, with all of that information, my questions are:
    1. Can the power commander V take advantage of dual sensors if I install the bungs in a 2006, or am I limited by the ECU's capabilities to only run one sensor?
    2. If the answer to Q1 is yes, can it tune individually each cylinder still, or is the stock ECU again a limitation?
    3. If the answers to Q1 and Q2 are both no, then is it possible/advantageous to swap a 2008 ECU on to a 2006 in order to gain the benefits (of course, tuning would be required, which is the point), or is it more trouble that it is worth (I realize this whole idea is probably more trouble than it is worth to some :) ).

Thanks,
    Scott

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  2. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    For starters, some on here know more than me. I have a lot of Vic experience, but a lot of it involves deferring to another expert. Pre 2008 does not use O2 sensors at all. Most aftermarket pipes, and maybe some Vic S1 set ups came with the ports and bungs for them, because the PC-V uses them to create the map that the PC-V runs once tuned. So here’s how I’m pretty sure The Vic Shop did it on my 07: put bike on dyno, put 02 sensors in the bung holes, but they plug into the dynojet computer, not the bike’s ecu. The dyno tuning process is used to program the PC-V’s fueling of each cylinder, Power commander now tuned, O2’s removed and bungs put back in the bung holes. Bike’s ecu still thinks it’s stock, pit the PC-V intercepts the fueling instructions, modifies them, and sends them to the fuel injectors.

3. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin
    2008 was when Victory made the transition to a PART TIME closed loop system w/O2 sensors.
    But, the Power Commander needs the O2 sensors to be disconnected, as it does not do closed loop operation.
    Yes, the Power Commander for a 2006/2007 will tune each cylinder individually, the tuning has nothing to do with the O2 sensors anyway. Your PC-V will not have the same capability as one for a 2008 and up. Your ECU won't support it.
    You cannot swap in a 2008 ECU. Get that out of your head. It's not that simple.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. MTScott

MTScott New Member

2006 Kingpin
    Ah, so the power commander must be a piggyback system... It Sounds like the O2 sensors that come with the autotune adapter have nothing to do with the ecu then, so if I add the bungs for the O2 sensors, I could use the autotune adapter?

5. primethious

primethious Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    Imo I'd get that autotune out of your plans.

6. Half_Crazy

2006 Kingpin
    The O2 sensors allow the auto-tune to read the mixture, just like the sniffers on a dyno allow the dyno to read the mixture. I don't know if there is auto-tune for a pre-08 bike.

Yes PC-V is piggyback and auto-tune is a separate module. You are better off getting a dyno tune.

I'll tell ya what, if you go to Power Commander's website they have a really good tech line you can call...They will answer your questions.

7. Half_Crazy

2006 Kingpin
    Or... just get a PC-III and a dyno tune. The PC-III tunes my hot rod just fine (yes, individual cylinders).

8. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Another option to the auto tune module is a canned map. My local shop is The Vic Shop. As you are researching and learning about mods for your bike you will see their name come up repeatedly, they are that good. One of the things Rylan does (he’s the owner) is he makes available, free of charge, all his previous tunes. So you can scoure his list for a 100” 06-07 Vic with mods similar to yours, and download a copy of the tune that was made for that bike’s Power Commander to load into your own power Commander.

Typically Vic’s still see a small gain by putting each on a dyno and adjusting the tune to that specific bike, but the above process gets you as close or closer than the auto tune module typically does. Rylan’s website also has some informative new owner “how to” tutorial videos you may find useful.

p.s. I always encourage my fellow Vic riders...if you’re going to take advantage of the good will offered by our independent vendors, please consider making the purchase from them too. Example: yes you may find the power Commander from an online source for 10 or 20 bucks cheaper. But that site isn’t offering the service of providing the maps for free, or handling warranty claims on your behalf, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MTScott

MTScott New Member

2006 Kingpin
    Is this because it just simply doesn't work well, or that the autotune module won't work with the PC V that is intended for a 2007 machine?

If the autotune module doesn't work with my machine, or simply doesn't work well then that's probably what I'll do.

I also kinda live out in the sticks in Montana... getting to an tuner that can do motorcycles and knows how to tune them isn't really a leisure thing to do, but if I have to I'll figure it out.

I'll try to get a call in to PC (if they're at the office) and see if I can get more info.

10. Half_Crazy

2006 Kingpin
    Auto-tune works fine... but it will only do a job as good as YOU are at using it.
    You can get a map from someone with a similar set-up... contact The Vic Shop and they will probably have something they can send you.

Victory Motorcycle Performance & Service - The Vic Shop

11. KLA

KLA Well-Known Member

2007 Victory Jackpot, 1999 Victory V92C Classic
    I installed a PC5 on my 07 Jackpot with a canned map from a friend. In recent years only the PCIII was available for the 07 and older Vics but the PC5 has been adapted for use with the 07 and older Vics also. Last spring I emailed Rylan and asked if he had any maps available for the 07 100ci with a PC5 and at that time he said that he did not have any available maps. But that was almost a year ago and maybe since then he has had the chance to tune a 07 or older Vic with a PC5 and hopefully he will have a map available.

12. Chaser

Chaser New Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    I don't mean to hijack your thread but I have the PCV installed on my bike with a map from the Vic Shop. I installed the autotune check the wiring to ensure that everything is hooked up right and connected to the PCV. I ran the cable from the PCV to my lap top and the PCV software. I configured the autotune and with the bike running the PCV has a green light but the autotune has a blinking green light. It will blink 3 times, pause and start again. The software shows that 2 units are connected but the green autotune, on the laptop software, light never comes on and the blinking green light on the autotune never stops. The AFR is 9.99 on both sensors but there is no real time AFR in the lower right hand corner of the PCV screen. I took it for a long ride came back, connected to the laptop and there was no change in the trim or the AFR. I am waiting for a return msg from Dynojet but while waiting just checking to see if am the only who has run into this problem.

13. Chaser

Chaser New Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    Well that was quick, turns out I was hooked to a bad power source for the autotune. Once I hooked to a different power source the autotune blinked then went to a steady green. Hooked up the laptop and started getting good AFR readings and the green autotune light came on. Going for a nice long ride tomorrow to see if the trim is working.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  14. MTScott

MTScott New Member

2006 Kingpin
    Is your bike an 07?

Glad to see some guys are running the PC5 and using autotune as well... please do let us know how your experience goes!

I broke my leg a couple months ago and I'm just now getting back to this bike and thinking about riding it.

15. MTScott

MTScott New Member

2006 Kingpin
    Any news on your tuning progress?