2004 VT92 - rear shocks? | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

2004 VT92 - rear shocks?

Discussion in 'Other Victory Models' started by broggyr, Jul 1, 2020.

1. broggyr

broggyr Administrator Staff Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 XCT
    A buddy of mine has a 2004 cruiser and he is looking for rear shocks. I am not sure if Progressive makes them and I don't know the dimensions. Haven't seen too many on parts websites. Anyone have an idea of a source that may still have them without buying used?

2. ByteN2it

ByteN2it Well-Known Member

'99 V92C & '09 Vision
    Stock Fox shocks can be rebuilt & when I had my ‘03 TCD I found a heavy duty replacement spring (650lb OEM to 850lb HD) that smoothed the two up/loaded touring ride a lot. No idea where to get springs anymore but there’s places that will rebuild them still out there. I would start talking to Penske or Traxxion to $ee if they can make a custom one if a rebuilt stock one isn’t good enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PreachSF

PreachSF Well-Known Member

Bullitt (07 Hammer S w/ Jackpot front end)
    there arent any aftermarket shocks for those models that i know of. Like was said previously .. those came with Fox shocks, pretty good in their own right. Contact Carver Performance in MN .. they rebuild them. We have used them multiple times and are very happy with their rebuilds

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Hossv92tc

Hossv92tc Member

2003 victory v92tc
    How hard is it to change the setting on the rear shock for a fat rider 2003 v92 tc

5. ByteN2it

ByteN2it Well-Known Member

'99 V92C & '09 Vision
  6. oldroadrunner

oldroadrunner Active Member

Betewen cities and states
    I have the seat off. I see where the adjustment would be made. But do tell, how many complete turns before an effect? Like, should I start with say, 10 turns if I want softer ride? Is that way to many? What is the range? If that is a stupid question then please give me any tips you think will help. thanks. 02_mufflers off.JPG

7. Micah Bell

Micah Bell New Member

1999 Victory v92c
    I can't post the link, not sure why but check out youtube on adjusting preload etc. that's based on your weight, the bike weight etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. D J

D J Active Member

2000 V92 SC
    They rebuilt my Fox shock, did a great job and for a very reasonable price.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. PreachSF

PreachSF Well-Known Member

Bullitt (07 Hammer S w/ Jackpot front end)
    ^^ they have done great work for us as well

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    @oldroadrunner How’s that bike coming along? Hope your getting closer so can enjoy it this summer & then the next 25 summers.

11. oldroadrunner

oldroadrunner Active Member

Betewen cities and states
    I am coming up against my own limitations.

First delay was getting tires mounted. I got tires via the innerweb. I found a sort of nearby place that could mount the tires for $25 each. For some reason when the people mounting the tire dismounted the old tires, they found the innner tubes (spoke wheels) were somehow covered with this brown sticky gook. I went and bought some inner tubes, but one was the wrong size. Finally, I got them new ones. they put on tires.

Meanwhile, farther away (27 miles) in Jacksonville, I found a shop Called Buster's Custom Cars which happened to be owned and run by a guy who is also a motorcycle fanatic. So along with superstock Mustangs, his shop was full of racing bikes and a few cruisers in for repair.

I ordered new bearings online and when they came I took to Busters. I read all the forum info and felt like I could do it myself, but, it got cold outdoors, I was shivering, and I thought, what the heck, take to Busters. I am waiting for him to do the tires.

I had straight pipes on this thing. The noise is deafining. I found some good 2001 mufflers for my 2002, and, even with a different hanger, I could not seem to get them to fit in place. So, I found some Original Equipment mufflers. But, the 'tabs' on the side were all bent and I do not have a vise or workbench. So... Busters does fabricating, and he is going to straighten out the tabs and hopefully they will fit.

Finally, the maintenance schedule for fork oil is no doubt in need of attention. By now, I am thinking: do everything I can to do all the maintenance and give myself some worry free miles. So, I removed the forks and I took them to Busters. He has one side of his shop dedicated to motorcycle suspensions. He will put in new seals and change oil etc.

I WANTED to do it all myself. And so, I told myself I did not REALLY need a workbench, a vise, special tools to press bearings in and out, or tools to measure fork oil or remove seals. So, I am doing what I can to make it easy for the mechanic at Busters. I bring him the parts, he does his thing. Total cost of all the above is a bargain at like $225 plus fork kit.

So, now, bike is still on the jack. I have to inspect and clean the intake butterflys. I am making the decision to NOT replace the rubber intake manifold tubes. I am aware that they might 'go' on me. But for now, if not broke, why fix it? I am ok with taking the tank off again if it happens that they do leak. Meanwhile, I will look online for a new one. I have seen that one that is modified... it is aluminum with just a couple tubes that are easily found at autoparts store, thus solving the availability issue. Meanwhile I wonder if this part is interchageable from year to year.

Busters is proving quite slow on the turn-around. So, it looks as if it will be at least a couple weeks before my 2002 V92C Deluxe is down from the jack. I am also looking for an original equipment windshield for it.

Patience is a virtue, right? And we all know that virtue is its own reward!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    @oldroadrunner Least progress is being made, it’s hard enough to do everything your doing in a garage with every tool at hand but in the yard, on a Jack, at the mercy of the weather is a true testament of your determination . I applaud your drive, resilience, patients motivation, desire, & overall attitude! The finish lines just over the hill & around the corner, I know you’ll get there & am looking forward to the finished product. ( more so if you remember to take some pics haha ) Try Rylan @ TVS as he may have some parts for your bike or knowledge of who does, he’s on vaca till middle of May. He knows those early bikes better than anyone & has shared lots of good info on YouTube. Patients is key & a quality I struggle with at times, esp when it’s as important as riding my bike. Your patients & diligence will pay off when you’re enjoying it’s fruitfulness for many years / miles & smiles to come!!

• Like Like x 1