VOG Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I don't think there was ever a factory purple color, at least not in 04. You're probably going to have to try and get something matched at a pro painter outfit.
You also missed the opportunity to post the obligatory beauty shot of your bike. :)

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I don't think there was ever a factory purple color, at least not in 04. You're probably going to have to try and get something matched at a pro painter outfit.
You also missed the opportunity to post the obligatory beauty shot of your bike. :)

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
If you can find a dealer that can get you parts, they should be able to get you touch up kits. Its called Purple Thunder. Best option is to take it to a shop that can computer match, as a 14 year old bike will have faded some overtime, and touch up paint will stand out, but a matched color should blend.

·
Registered
838 Posts
If you paint it it's only 5 pieces. I paid $800 to get mine painted.
Did you take the tins off or did the guy who painted it take it apart and reassemble it?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Did you take the tins off or did the guy who painted it take it apart and reassemble it?
Save the labor cost and take it all apart yourself. I did. Cost me about 1200 for my paint job, but it's two tone with stripes and a custom color I had him tweak several times until it was what I wanted. Hardest body part to remove is the rear fender, but if you take your time it isn't hard.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Wrap it. So many options. Believe it or not, this is a wrap:

View attachment 502175

If you paint it it's only 5 pieces. I paid $800 to get mine painted.
That place was about 5 minutes from where I used to live up until Dec 2016. They do live wrap demos at the local car shows/cruise-ins by wrapping a car/truck then removing and doing it again all weekend long to show the process.

Reactions: Half_Crazy

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
I don't want a painter taking apart and re-assembling my motorcycle. He paints, he's not a motorcycle mechanic.

Pull on the side covers and they pop off.
Front fender is 4 bolts.
Once the seat and side covers are off , the fuel tank and rear fender are easily accessible. If you see this as a daunting task, maybe you should pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I don't want a painter taking apart and re-assembling my motorcycle. He paints, he's not a motorcycle mechanic.
Depends on the painter. The guy I used knows what he's doing. Knows Vic's too and does some performance upgrades from time to time. It was just easier and cheaper to get him the tins than the whole bike.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Alternatively, f you are looking for a change, besides wrap, touchup or full repaint, maybe also consider hydrodip. I'm on the fence about what to do when I've got more gouges, chips, dents and scratches than I want to deal with. I have factory OEM touchup paint but not sure if I'll ever end up using it.

·
Registered
838 Posts

Pull on the side covers and they pop off.
Front fender is 4 bolts.
Once the seat and side covers are off , the fuel tank and rear fender are easily accessible. If you see this as a daunting task, maybe you should pay someone to do it.
Well I wouldn't say daunting, I have had everything except the rear fender off my Kingpin at different times.
The rear fender would give me a little hesitation. I don't plan on having it painted I was just curious.
Although when I had my 2008 Kawasaki Nomad painted I did have the painter do the removal and install.
Never had a problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.