VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Classic Cruiser lurches forward when letting off the throttle and back when adding throttle. The bike it self doesn't move it just throws you in that direction. Already checked belt tension and seems in specs.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Check the rubber throttle body adapter. They are probably cracked.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I agree

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Or a vacuum leak somewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it is more like a jerking motion, say if I let go of the throttle and the bike abruptly slows not stop and you lurch forward. That's the best I can describe it.
if you are traveling at a constant speed you can accelerate no problem, its just if you throttle down.

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
it is more like a jerking motion, say if I let go of the throttle and the bike abruptly slows not stop and you lurch forward. That's the best I can describe it.
if you are traveling at a constant speed you can accelerate no problem, its just if you throttle down.
...is this at a slow speed or all the time?

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
14 year old bike. I would be looking at "ALL" the rubber on the intake system.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Excess slop in transmission?
I'm thinking you are describing "slack" in the drive line rather than an engine issue.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Yes I think you are right, someone else suggested that also. How do I check it?
I'm hoping one of the Vic wrenches will post because for the past 5 years I have not been doing my own so i am a bit rusty.

I think I would pull the belt & the cover for the primary drive sprocket.
Then I would grab that sprocket & rock it back & forth with the bike in various gears & even in neutral to see how much play is in it.
Also I would be "feeling" for anything that might be "rough" or "catching".

This is were I won't be much help because I can't tell you what is normal or excessive & honestly I may be sending you on a goose chase.
It's just what I would do.
On your bike I have no idea how long it would take to get the belt off & the cover guard off.

An earlier post suggested it could be lugging & he is correct.
Vic's should not be run under 2500 rpm & that is the lowest spot they should be run.

Are you new to the bike?
If not then did this happen all at once or has it been progressive getting a little more noticeable with more miles?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have had this bike since 2010 and never thought anything about this until a friend took it for a spin and mentioned the problem to me, it has done this since I bought it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My bike did that. It was unloading the spring tension in the torque compinsator. I installed new heavy springs and it has helped with that back and forth feel. Anyways might not be your problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My 2013 Judge with about 21K on it, which I have owned and ridden only about three weeks was doing the same thing yesterday while I was on a little trip. I had not noticed it before but I have less than 500 miles on the bike so far. I just purchased it on E-bay and it has been a maintenance nightmare. I have been gradually catching the maintenance up on it. You know changing the oil, and cleaning the Air Filter etc. I also adjusted the drive belt deflection since it seemed to be really tight to me. The manual calls for 6 mm but that is tighter than a drum especially after riding it for an hour or so. I increased it to 9-10 mm so that might be my problem? Anyway, I have been riding a 2006 Honda VTX 1300 for about 9 years and it has a shaft drive, but it sometimes displayed the same issues with a little slack in the u-joint that showed up if I was sloppy in my shifting. butit is of course completely a different bike than the Judge so i was thinking that it was me causing the jerking sensation. Kind of like the computer was kicking in and overriding my throttle control. Maybe I have not mastered the shifting and throttle of this bike yet. I did change out the Clutch cable recently and have been adjusting it trying to get it right. Also I have one throttle cable which is just holding on by a couple of strands so I have ordered two new throttle cables to replace them. I got one of them in, but the other one will not be shipped until the 15th so I am waiting to install the new one I did receive. Maybe the throttle cables are not adjusted correctly yet. I did notice that one of the CO2 sensors wires had pulled loose and the wire was broken, so I went ahead and unplugged the other one too. Since I have done this it has idled much better. Anyway, I know what you are talking about but do not know the reason it is happening yet.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Vic's do have a lot of drive line slop so it's a good chance that is what you are feeling.

Do you have any bike nights in your area where you could meet other Vic owners who are familiar with them?

·
Registered
770 Posts
My 2013 Judge with about 21K on it, which I have owned and ridden only about three weeks was doing the same thing yesterday while I was on a little trip. I had not noticed it before but I have less than 500 miles on the bike so far. I just purchased it on E-bay and it has been a maintenance nightmare. I have been gradually catching the maintenance up on it. You know changing the oil, and cleaning the Air Filter etc. I also adjusted the drive belt deflection since it seemed to be really tight to me. The manual calls for 6 mm but that is tighter than a drum especially after riding it for an hour or so. I increased it to 9-10 mm so that might be my problem? Anyway, I have been riding a 2006 Honda VTX 1300 for about 9 years and it has a shaft drive, but it sometimes displayed the same issues with a little slack in the u-joint that showed up if I was sloppy in my shifting. butit is of course completely a different bike than the Judge so i was thinking that it was me causing the jerking sensation. Kind of like the computer was kicking in and overriding my throttle control. Maybe I have not mastered the shifting and throttle of this bike yet. I did change out the Clutch cable recently and have been adjusting it trying to get it right. Also I have one throttle cable which is just holding on by a couple of strands so I have ordered two new throttle cables to replace them. I got one of them in, but the other one will not be shipped until the 15th so I am waiting to install the new one I did receive. Maybe the throttle cables are not adjusted correctly yet. I did notice that one of the CO2 sensors wires had pulled loose and the wire was broken, so I went ahead and unplugged the other one too. Since I have done this it has idled much better. Anyway, I know what you are talking about but do not know the reason it is happening yet.
So I see your new to Victory. And the Vog. Welcome!
These bikes love rpms. So try riding it like a Muscle car. These bikes don't like to be lugged, they will buck like a horse. example 30 mph i am in 2nd sometimes in 3rd. But never 4th or higher. Keep rpms above 2000 preferably 2400

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.