VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a low mileage 2000 V92SC. I've had a drivebelt failure and was wondering if there are alternatives to buying a Polaris belt from a dealer.
I counted 135 drive teeth on the belt and the width is slightly less then 1 1/2"
Found a belt in the JP cycle catalog that might fit. It's a Gates 600-628 for a '85-96 HD FLT,FXR.
I measured the pitch on my '03 Electra Glide and found it to be 9/16" ......the same as the Victory belt.
Does anyone know if this is a standard pitch or are there variations in belt pitch?
Is there any reason why this HD belt would not work?
I don't have a Polaris Victory dealer close to me and the HD network is much more available to me so if this will work I would like to know about it.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Email me at [email protected] if you can help.
Thx
.....Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a follow up to the drive belt issue. Priced a belt at a Polaris Victory dealer. Price was CAD$269 + taxes with a 2 day delivery. Phoned a dealer on Saginaw, Michigan. Price was USD$ 209 with a 3 day delivery. Phoned Gates with the belt specs. Gates returned the call and informed me that this particular belt was "commissioned" by Polaris Victory and that they would be unable to sell me me the belt without violating the agreement. My take on Victory so far: very spotty dealer network in this area obviously keeps a small stock of replacement parts. How many different belts could there be in the Victory lineup? Price of belt itself was a shock but I'm told some of the Harley belts cost even more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
gates, and panther in fact every belt manufacturer makes a belt that will work, it will have one or two more or less teeth but since they are spaced the same you can make it up in the adjustment. You will need to add at least two teeth if you have the overdrive pulley. A new belt should run about $100-150 from just about any independent repair shop.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Aftermarket accessary catalogs like CCI lists Gates and Dayco belts that will fit the 2000 Victory and others. They list a 1.125"wide belt with135 and 136 tooth that will replace the stock belt. Cost is around $150-185.
Victory has the same 14mm pitch like modern H-D. And Gates HTD belts are typically 1.125 or 1.5 wide. Part fishes for new Victory'slist 28mm (1.1")widedrive belt (~1.125"). So, I can't see how a 92ci Victory would not be able to use the 28mm that comes on the 100ci bikes. Just do the wheel alignment so the belt tracks straight. Tell us how things go.
If anyone has done this, please post your story.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Which year did Victory change style of belts? When Lloyd replaced my '99 trans with an '01 it had the old belt style. I paid Lloyd to install the pulleys for the new style belt. Later you would get the new pulleys with the tranny update. Going from a 28,000 mile belt to a 60,000 mile belt was worth it to me.
I think the Freedom engine started the new belts?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a 2002 TCD and was wondering the about the belt issue myself.I believe my belt has 141 teeth(can anyone verify?).I have about 11,000 miles on the bike but I believe age can play a factor in belt life so making it to the recommended 30,000 belt change may not happen.I am also curious belt options.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Turkeykiller said:
Aftermarket accessary catalogs like CCI lists Gates and Dayco belts that will fit the 2000 Victory and others. They list a 1.125"wide belt with135 and 136 tooth that will replace the stock belt. Cost is around $150-185.
Victory has the same 14mm pitch like modern H-D. And Gates HTD belts are typically 1.125 or 1.5 wide. Part fishes for new Victory'slist 28mm (1.1")widedrive belt (~1.125"). So, I can't see how a 92ci Victory would not be able to use the 28mm that comes on the 100ci bikes. Just do the wheel alignment so the belt tracks straight. Tell us how things go.
If anyone has done this, please post your story.
Update on the 1.125 belt: I can't get it to align like the OEM belt(1.4" wide). It has to much flex and runs up again the engine casing on the OD pulley. I still want an after market belt so next I will try the 1.5" wide but it may be just able to fit into the OEM rear pulley. If this works then I'm still ahead about 90 bucks.Live and learn.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I'm see some weird tracking behavior with the Gates HTD 14mm pitch belts on my 02 classic. Has anyone ever seen their drive belt track to the inside of the drive pulley, even afteraligning the rear wheel and belt free play? I have never notice this before because the pulley cover was on. But now that I'm experimenting with different belt lengths to go with my OD pulley w/o the cover installed, Iam noticing how the belt tracks in and out on the drive pulley. If I roll the drive line forward the belt tracksinto the engine case and off the edge of the OD pulley,and whenbackwards, the belttracks to theouter edge of the OD pulley but not off the edge like theforward direction. No alignment setting will compensate for this. What gives?
I'm going back the theoriginal OEMbelt (28k mile on it)to see how it tracks, now that I can watch it, and I let you know.
What's the difference between Gatesaftermarket HTD belts and Victory OEM HTD belt?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Turkeykiller said:
I'm see some weird tracking behavior with the Gates HTD 14mm pitch belts on my 02 classic. Has anyone ever seen their drive belt track to the inside of the drive pulley, even afteraligning the rear wheel and belt free play? I have never notice this before because the pulley cover was on. But now that I'm experimenting with different belt lengths to go with my OD pulley w/o the cover installed, Iam noticing how the belt tracks in and out on the drive pulley. If I roll the drive line forward the belt tracksinto the engine case and off the edge of the OD pulley,and whenbackwards, the belttracks to theouter edge of the OD pulley but not off the edge like theforward direction. No alignment setting will compensate for this. What gives?
I'm going back the theoriginal OEMbelt (28k mile on it)to see how it tracks, now that I can watch it, and I let you know.
What's the difference between Gatesaftermarket HTD belts and Victory OEM HTD belt?
My conclusion to this issue: Stick with the OEM (Victory belt) because they track the best on a flangless drive pulley! I put my original belt back on and it tracked just fine. So, after returning all the Gates HTD Poly Chain belts to the local motorcycle accessary store, and that they get from a catalog, I had to go to the dealerand get an OEM belt. I put it on and again, ittracks just fine. HTD belts are NOT all the same.
Ifanyone is have success with after market belts please tellme what Victory model and year, plus what pulley you have, stock or otherwise. Thanks!!!
I hope my test helps to save others from the trouble I had.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.