VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07 Kingpin Touring, about to roll 20k.

Bike starts/runs/rides great, no issues at all. 2nd owner, presume oil changes etc were done on schedule by po.

Would love to hop on bike and ride across country tomorrow, how concerned should I be about maintenance, parts wearing out etc?

Should I be looking at replacing the belt, clutch, cables?

What's going to break or wear out, what should I be replacing now before it goes?

I want at least another 20k trouble free miles, what do I need to get in front of?

·
Super Moderator
26,123 Posts
You should worry 0%.

Commonly replaced items for a Vic = Oil & Tires.

Many Vics have hit 100k with the original belt.

A Sav Ur Ride clutch is a good thing to carry though.

Reactions: KeepRidin!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Like V V B said a Save Ur Ride clutch cable is good to have but other than that just ride the thing :)

Reactions: VicVisionBulldog

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I would be very concerned. You are riding less than 1,700 a year. Step away from the key board. Grab your gear and ride. As mentioned, gas, oil, and tires. All your intake rubber is 12 years old, you can check it for cracks and splitting.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Have an 08 Kingpin with 42,000 KMS on it only thing I had go and let me down was a rear wheel bearing, I do not consider oil, plugs, air filter, brake pads and tires a worrying problem. Ride on brother ride.
Regards

·
Super Moderator
26,123 Posts
My bike just hit 20,000 miles 2016 and I swear to God I got another 10 miles an hour top End

(VB speed test was done on closed course )
:badgrin:
I swear Vics are not fully broken in until 20K. Having bought my 13 new it seemed every 5 to 10k it just kept getting better. Then I put on a tuner and it got even better. When I finally add cams I'm sure it will again get better.

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Agree with the above. 20k is nothing on a Vic. For a long distance trip Inwould carry a Save-ur-ride. Clutch cable’s snapping happens. I would not worry about the drive belt, but I would worry about the intake boot, about an 80 dollar part. It’s rubber and considered a wear and tear item. Over time the rubber gets brittle, develops crack, which leaks excess air into the intake. Aside from that fork oil is probably ready to be changed. Not a critical item but I have seen forks need bigger dollar rebuilds because the oil wasn’t changed in a timely manner. This would not stop me from taking a trip, just put it on the to do list sooner than later.
For reference my Kingpin is also a 2007. It’s pushing close to double the miles yours has and thanks to me living close to The Vic Shop, it’s in better condition than new right now. I wouldn’t hesitate for a blink to take it cross country. At this rate, it will outlive me.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
44K miles here and only issue was the clutch cable. I wouldn't be without a tire patch kit and a Sav-ur-ride cable. Otherwise, what they all said.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
70K on my 04 Kinpin and I'm heading out for a 2,200 mile trip in a couple weeks. I do general maintenance as needed as well as a twice a year breakdown. Grease everything (cables mainly), clean throttle body, etc. I'll put it n my lift and strip everything down and clean all the hidden crap off. I'm probably overkill on some stuff. But a little (or a lot of) TLC goes a long way.

Yep, a Save UR Ride is always in my sidebag since I got stranded once. For the trip I have a Goo Loo jump starter, Slime air pump & tire kit.

Outside of the general stuff (tires, plugs, brake pads) I've replaced the belt once, all cables once, and done 3 fork oil / seal replacements. That's really about it.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
32k here, and the only things that have worn out were tires and oil.
I've broke a belt and ruined a pulley when a fresh sticky chip seal rock found it's way in there.
I change spark plugs once a year whether it needs them or not.
Always fully warm it up before riding, and enjoy it!

·
Super Moderator
26,123 Posts
I guess I could be more specific.

My 13 was bought new and other than needing a new master cylinder within the first 2.5K miles it has been great. The radio screen did go out but that's nothing I would consider a major issue. Certainly didn't leave me stranded. Heck the stereo still worked, just didn't have a screen. I just did the front forks coming up on 40k miles. I changed the plugs Dec 17', just because.

My 08 I bought used with 12k or close to it. It's coming up on 20k now. To my understanding it has had no issues. It certainly hasn't had any while I've owned it. I did change the plugs at the same time as the 13 and added EBC brake pads. Other than that I've done nothing.

I wrecked my 13 recently and if it wasn't ready by July I was going to ride my 08 to Florida and back. Luckily I got my 13 back quick and will be able to take it. I have the 13 set up for longer hauls or 2up and the 08 for short cruising and now it's set up for 2up too.

Reactions: bikendad

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 04 kingpin went about 25k with no issues until it got stolen and totalled recently. Get a padlock for that front fork, or a disk lock, or a rifle.

So I went out and bought an 05 kingpin a couple months ago, with only 2500 miles on it. The front turn signals snapped off in the wind. Rubber rot. The handlebar was loose because the rubber bushings had rotted. Electric motors can throw off enough ozone to do this. Previous owner probably had had it garaged with his refrigerator or something. The good news is the fuel line and other rubber bits are fine.

·
Super Moderator
26,123 Posts
My 04 kingpin went about 25k with no issues until it got stolen and totalled recently. Get a padlock for that front fork, or a disk lock, or a rifle.

So I went out and bought an 05 kingpin a couple months ago, with only 2500 miles on it. The front turn signals snapped off in the wind. Rubber rot. The handlebar was loose because the rubber bushings had rotted. Electric motors can throw off enough ozone to do this. Previous owner probably had had it garaged with his refrigerator or something. The good news is the fuel line and other rubber bits are fine.
I vote for the rifle.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Agree with the above. 20k is nothing on a Vic. For a long distance trip Inwould carry a Save-ur-ride. Clutch cable's snapping happens. I would not worry about the drive belt, but I would worry about the intake boot, about an 80 dollar part. It's rubber and considered a wear and tear item. Over time the rubber gets brittle, develops crack, which leaks excess air into the intake. Aside from that fork oil is probably ready to be changed. Not a critical item but I have seen forks need bigger dollar rebuilds because the oil wasn't changed in a timely manner. This would not stop me from taking a trip, just put it on the to do list sooner than later.
One thing that everyone seems to have forgotten to mention is brake fluid flush. As old as the bike is, if the fluid hasn't been changed, it should be and quick. Brake fluid retains moisture, which will corrode the insides of your brake calipers. It's not a hard job; just make sure that you use a brake fluid that has the recommended DOT designation.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.