VOG Forum banner

1st oil change

11K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  iabob 
#1 ·
For all you kingpin owners, I am getting ready to perform my first oil change soon on my new 2010 kingpin. I have always changed my own oil in other bikes I have had to keep from having to pay the dealer.
Any helpful advice on doing the change would be appreciated.
How much oil added with oil filter change?
Any certain drain or addspecifics etc.?
On someof my previuos bikes the oil change consisted of small nuisances thatwhen done made the oil change easier or correct.
Thanks for the input in advance.

#3 ·
Also, do not over tighten the plug.

#4 ·

Thank you guys for the input.
I thought I had read somewhere earlier about leaving the bike on the sidestand when draining. I don't know why you wouldwant to do that. It looks as though you would leave some used oil in the bike vs. standing the bike up to get the last bit to run out. Of course I might have just dreamed I read that.
The yamahaI had, if you added what was recommened in the manaulyou ended up overfilling the bike so thanks for the input on qty.If I am not mistaken that is what is recommended in the victory manual. Are you guys adding that amount afterthe oil is drained while sitting on the side stand only?
I had rather run a little light than overfill.

#6 ·
I've had my KP lowered so the oil pan doesn't fit under it. I bought about 5 carpet sample squares and ride up on those and got an extra to kneel down on. Raises the bike up so ez access. Invest in a torque wrench and the right hex wrench thingy. That way you know it's right. The correct torque setting is in the manual.

If I can change my own oil ANYONE can!!!

The oil change kit comes with 2 lock washers one is for the older bikes. I change the lock washer as well.

#7 ·

This is the 2nd oil change. The 1st break in oil change was done by the dealer. That service also consisted of checking fasteners, belt tension, etc. to make sure everything was still alright. I had no problem letting them do thisservice. It is funny that the dealer after this servicemade the comment that he would probably never see me again for any service. Now that makes you think you are riding a reliable low maintenance bike.
I should have looked where the drain plug is and I guess I would have seen what you are talking about as far as leaving on side stand.
From now on I am planning on changing the oil myself, hince the statement my 1st oil change. I appreciate all the input. The kingpin from the very first look seemed it would be easierto maintain than my last bike.
It was a stratoliner that had three crankcase oil drain plugs. One on the bottom and two on the side. The side plugs were not so easy to access unless you had a stubby wrench. The gear oil had a seperate drain plug and come to findout it was best to re-fill thru the gear oil check level plug. This requiredan old fashioned squeeze triigger oil can with the long, thin,and flexible spout.Toaccess and refill thru the factory add plug according to the owners manual you had to remove the exhaust. All these tricks and others were shared on the strat forum.Oh, by the way to change theair filter you had to remove and unplug the fancy speed odometer console on top of the gas tank and thenremove the gas tank.Now that bike could be a pain to service. Now you see why I am tapping the wisdom of you real people before performing whatI was hoping and seems to turn out to be a mundane service.
We victoryownersshould appreciatethe simplicity in being able to perform the regular maintenance services ourselves with ease.
While you guys are being so kind, what is the drain plug wrench size?

#8 ·
gentlemanjack said:
While you guys are being so kind, what is the drain plug wrench size?
First, did you get a manual? It's all there.
- It states a 6mm, the one in my kit did not fit properly, invest in a good 6mm Allen att. for your Torque Wrench,
- Don't forget to use a NEW copper washer on your drain plug.
- Pay attenion to specified torque,
- 15ft-lbs. (crankcase threads can easily be damaged if over tightened.)
OT

#9 ·

Thanks One thumb.
I did get a manual. Asstated on the post above, with the gear oiladd and other small nuisances the stratoliner had,owners found better waysto do things than what the stratomanual stated. Again the reason for tapping the victory wisdom on this forum eventhough it turns out this task is pretty straight forward.
I will pick up a quality 6mm attachment as you suggested.

#12 ·

My 08 KP takes 4 1/2 qts with filter change. The hex wrench (unless Vic changed things) is the wrench/screwdriver that is sitting horizontally in front of your batter box under the side cover.
I bought 10 of the crush washers so I'd always have a new one. I think they were about a quarter? each. I keep them in the bag they came in that has the part number on it, in a ziplock bag along with my owner's manual in my saddlebag so if i need a change while on the road i always have the washer.

#13 ·
stilcrazee said:
The hex wrench (unless Vic changed things) is the wrench/screwdriver that is sitting horizontally in front of your batter box under the side cover.
Jim,
Mine fits so loose in the drain plug I'm afraid of rounding the edges, a 6mm Allen or hex wrench fits perfect. Kingpin are tools usless.
OT

#14 ·
mjw930 said:
emux2 said:
Did the quantity change with the newer bikes? I think my 05 pin manual called for 6 quarts. When I did the oil change I had got the 5qt jug and sure enough was 1 qt low. Had to add 1 qt.
My 2010 XC took less than 4.5 qts with the filter. Be careful, it's easy to overfill.
I did some research on the net and the capacity dropped from 6 qts(V92 freedom) to 5 qts (100CI) freedom since the crank case was narrowed 10mm.

#15 ·

I peformed my oil change this weekend. Put in around 4 1/2 quarts Victory oil after draiing on the sidestand and the oil level is right at the full mark. Thanks to OneThumbfor the suggestion about the 6mmprovided with the bike. Mine also had a sloppy fit. Pulled the 6mm craftsman allen wrench out of my toolbox and it fit like a charm.
Defintely easier that the stratoliner with its (3) oil plugs. Now the next oil change which will be around the 4500-5000 mile mark I will have to determine if I want to go to full synthetic. I used the Mobile 20-50 in the strat with good results. By no meansam I wanting to start another infamous oil thread.

#16 ·
I'm assuming drain and fill on the side stand ? Should the bike be on the side stand when checking oil level ? Also... Does the dipstick need to be screwed in or just sit in hole to check level ? I don't have a manual...07' 100cu Thanks for your time.

#18 ·

The bike should be upright to check the level, and screw the dip stick in the whole way then remove to check. Lloyd says, that in the vast experience he has, that you should just use Victory oil. Others opinions will be as vast as the sands of the sea.

#19 ·
Go to www.buywitchdoctors.com and get one of his magnetic drain plugs. You can use a socket instead of a 6mm Allen, which I have for my torque wrench. Also, leave the beer koozie in the drawer. These things are so easy your beer won't have time to get warm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.