VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have devised a plan! LOL

We are leaving Sierra Vista, AZ on Friday 6 Oct headed to Lake Meade, NV. Camping at Boulder Beach Campground. Will leave Saturday AM for Fruita, Co. Camping in the Fruita Section of the James M Robb-Colorado River State Park. Sunday we will head to Truth or Consequences, NM. Camping at the Elephant Butte Lake.

My plan is to ride through the day and arrive at each camp site by dark and set up camp. Then head to the nearest town for food. Come back and have some adult beverages by the camp fire.

I am riding two up on a 16 Magnum with an aftermarket trunk.

This is my first big trip like this. Especially camping. Anyone have any tips, things I have to see on the route?

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Are you tent camping, or renting cabins? 2 up on a magnum means you aren't going to have a lot of space to pack stuff...I suggest a site to you that I read a lot from when I motocamped.. motocampers.com. They've forgotten more about camping from a motorcycle then most others will ever know.

I can say this, the proliferation of ultra-compact and ultra-low weight hiking gear is a boon for mc camping. There are so many awesome products out there now that make it easy to pack and carry for on a bike! NOT cheap tho....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are tent camping. There is always the option of getting a hotel as all the campgrounds are close to towns. We went on a two night trip a couple weeks ago at the Thunder Valley Rally in Cottonwood, AZ. I was able to get the camping gear in the bags and the trunk. Doesn't leave a lot of room for clothes and extras. The trunk wasn't full, so that will be the over flow for the GF. LOL.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Have fun & enjoy!

I pack a hammock with skeeter netting (can also be used as a tent), sleeping pad, mummy bag, lite wool blanket, fire/cook stuff for quick trips.
For extended trips there is too much to list.

One comment on your plan especially in the areas you are going: Pack some boil in bag meals for back up.
Getting to camp at end of day, setting up, gathering fire wood then going back out can be a PITA especially if it is a long dirt road to camp.

One other thing to think about is riding East in the morning means the sun is in your eyes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am hoping to do just that! I am 5 years old when it comes to stuff like this. I have been giddy since the GF agreed to go!

We have a tent, two hiker sleeping bags with liners and air mattress with pump. Everything else will be VISA. LOL

The plans, like all my "plans" can change at a moments notice. I have a lot of squirrel moments! LOL. Very spontaneous. We may wind up eating before we get to camp. I like to map out the broad strokes and just wing it. Let's hope it works in my favor!

An actual Victory trunk would be very handy in this situation...but that isn't in the budget! Wish I could rent one...LOL

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Awesome! Bike camping in a tent is the height of enjoying the minimal lifestyle!

For enjoyment campside.. I can't recommend a set of ultra light stools or chairs.. Alite makes some really tiny nice ones that are actually sturdy and comfortable enough while still packing away to almost nothing.

There is a dizzying array of cooking stoves and pots/pans etc for eating at camp too.. You can actually camp pretty comfortably with the right gear. I have a flexible 'bucket' I use to gather water.. folds up small enough to put in your pocket and large enough to carry enough to take a shower, or make coffee etc. Speaking of which.. one item of quintessential importance is COFFEE. :) With some of the freeze dried stuff nowadays you can make a damn decent cup of joe.. so in a sandwich baggie you can carry enough to make coffee for 2 ppl for the while trip. It's the little things that make camping civilized :)

I highly suggest a hiker style first aid kit too. Roughing it makes it easy to get a little banged up, bit, scratched or sunburnt. One of those little kits can really make the difference.. my wife was always one of the most appreciated campers around cuz as a nurse she always could help out when you get bug bit, or burnt, or even if you just have a headache.

However you do it, you'll remember it! We did it for years and years and moved up from a bag of stuff thrown over my back seat all the way up to 'glamping' ( a term for luxury camping) with a pull behind flatbed trailer pulled behind my bike. We even had a private shower/toilet tent, queen size full height bed with sheets and stuff with a tent big enough it was like a hotel room. :) I still think doing it minimal was more fun, but my wife wouldn't agree with my I'm sure.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm excited! I like the idea of he chairs. We're going shopping for the trip this weekend, so we will be on the lookout for them.

Neither of us drinks coffee, and we won't be cooking on this trip. Maybe down the road. I would like to do way more of this kind of trip, so if this one goes well!

GF has already mentioned a first aid kit.

·
Premium Member
14,192 Posts
A little out of your way but if you get off 15 onto 14 you'll find a GREAT road to ride. Then take that to 89 north and stop at BRYCE CANYON.....BEAUTIFUL!! From there take 89 north back to 40 then on to Fruita, CO. Did that in Aug and well worth the stop :icon_thumleft: Wife said our stop at the Grand Canyon was great, but her opinion of Bryce was way more beautiful:ok:( I'd upload pic but site here says to large....google it)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks like a fun trip. Have a safe and fun trip

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I motocamped for 3.5 months this summer with a couple hotel rooms here and there. Used a Hennessy hammock which now has a hole, missing a couple clips, smells like burning forests, etc. If you like coffee, JetBoil compacts nicely and I used it to make cup-o-noodles and coffee... a lot. Got a couple boxes of Folgers single serve coffee bags, and made it somewhat bearable on cold nights. Used a 40+ ultra lightweight sleeping bag but discovered that having a chill wind above AND below created some frozen toes pretty regularly, an inflatable pillow helped keep my head above my feet, most of the time. At one point I heated up stones in the campfire, wrapped them in terry and tossed them in the foot of the bag (which lasted until about 3am). National Forest campgrounds are inexpensive and less populated, camp hosts are pretty cool for the most part.

Take lots of photos, take time to enjoy the scenery. Watch for wild animals and don't ride beyond your abilities. Stop often to fill up, stretch and make sure to wave at all of the Can-Ams, you'll see more of them, and trikes, than 2-wheelers!

Just read you are on the way already, I've been slacking!

Reactions: jwfuchs1

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle
Some one early on said 2 up on a magnum your not gonna have much room ? lol here's how mines packed 2 up for both of us 2 helmets for when we have too. 5 changes of clothes apiece full leathers including chaps raingear oil tools and this all packs very nicely

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.