VOG Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Over the weekend I installed Freedom Performance Sharp Curve Radius exhaust, Lloydz timing wheel and PCV on my '17 Highball with 1,400 miles.
Had it dyno tuned today and was shocked to see the Dyno results were substantially lower than factory spec. Factory power is around the 82hp/100 ft/lbs mark and my first run was only 71/85.
If we take out the timing wheel and it would be even less as that mod alone yields about 4hp/4 ft/lbs. Thats a huge difference!!!!

Does this sound normal? The guy that did the dyno has a good reputation but uses an old 'break' dyno instead of a rolling one. Could this have caused a slight decrease in the numbers?\

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Decrease from what? Did it make more and now it makes less?

It doesn't matter if the dyno says 4, 40, or 400.... The dyno is a tool to get a repeatable measurement, Like a tape measure, so you can tune the bike.

Is it tuned? Looks like it got a lot better after tuning. Ride it and be happy. You can't compare that dyno with a Dynojet machine in numbers... and it's 'brake'.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Not to mention.. the specs in the magazines weren't at the wheel.. they were at the crank.. I personally find that method disingenuous but it's pretty much how all of them do it now.
What you need to compare is before and after on the same dyno.. not worry about the bragging rights compared to other dyno's.

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
I’m confused.
Did you install the PCV with a canned tune and just let it fly ? Did the Dyno operator make adjustments to improve your bike ?
What area are you from maybe we can help you with a Victory tuner.

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
71/85 sure sounds like crap to me. But, there's a ton of unanswered questions here, not the least of which is your pic of the dyno graph cuts out relevant information. I wouldn't worry too much about what it's supposed to be, namely that 82/100 number. Every dyno will read a little different, even though this seems like more than a little.
As HC mentioned, the purpose of the dyno isn't really to tell you how much horsepower your bike makes, its to tell the operator if his last adjustment was an improvement or not. So for the customer, how does it ride now compared to before? I will say this, an exhaust swap only makes it easier to push air out. Without combining this with a new intake you're not looking at dramatic increases. Still, I would expect the pipes combined with a timing wheel pc-v and tune...you should be able to notice that it's better if you can't something is probably not normal.
Now let's get back to that dyno with the chopped graph. It appears we (you) don't have a graph from before the hardware was changed on this same dyno. But it does look like the blue line (after adjusting the pc-v) was an improvement. Or was this with and without the timing wheel? We can't tell if this operator tuned your bike or just ran it and showed you what it's currently doing. How much did he charge? Tuning is typically 150-300 dollars and takes an hour or two. A dyno pull and a nice print out for you takes about 10-15 minutes and costs about 35 dollars. Next, what gear was your bike in? A lot of Harley's are ran in 4th because that's the closest to 1-1 gearing. If he ran your Vic in 4th your numbers will be way off even though the tune is good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Half_crazy - My measure is the factory output at the wheel of 82/100. I know each dyno machine is different but 71/85 is subtantially less than the above .... 15% less, that's huge!
I know what you're saying however, it doesn't matter what that number is because i can definitely feel the bike runs better.

Slickvic/iabob - I did not dyno the bike before the upgrades. I installed the pipes, timing wheel and PCV(all maps set to 0) on Sunday and had it dyno tuned on Monday. The first line is the result with all those 3 installed, second line is the tuned bike with adjustments to the PCV. Hope that makes sense.
I'm not sure what gear he did the runs in but thats something I can ask him over the phone.

At the end of the day i dont care what that number is, my only concern is that something is wrong with my engine thats resulting in loss of power from 'factory spec'

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
I'm not sure what gear he did the runs in but thats something I can ask him over the phone.
Looks to be 4th gear. Unless you have the factory top speed governor disabled, the bike won't rev past 5000 in 5th and that chart carries well past there. That would explain lower output numbers. If that is an eddy-current dyno it could read that much lower than a dynojet machine anyway. All dynos are not the same. The numbers you quote are from a dynojet dyno and are usually 80-82 horsepower and pretty high 90s on torque.

At the end of the day i dont care what that number is, my only concern is that something is wrong with my engine that's resulting in loss of power from 'factory spec'
There's nothing wrong with the engine. The measuring tool is just different and it was pulled in a gear that would show lower numbers.

Go race a stock bike... you'll see the real story.

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
I'd be willing to bet a 5th gear pull, if you could, would put you in the 90's for hp and low 100's for tq. If she feels sluggish compared to stock or does not get something close to 40 for mpg that would be a red flag, but otherwise looks good. No matter which dyno or which gear it's run in the shape of the torque curve will remain the same, just showing different #'s. The shape of your curve and the before and after results looks like he did a good tune.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.