12v keyed power location in fairing....cant locate | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

12v keyed power location in fairing....cant locate

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by spusheck, Jan 25, 2014.

1. spusheck

spusheck New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    cross country
    other than the mini gps connector, does any one know of a wire i can use or splice into for the gps traffic antenna power. it needs to be 12v and switchable
    by the key.

2. vision_nut

vision_nut Moderator Staff Member Moderator

vision 08

look under seat you should find wires for the heated seat. With a testor check them

3. Tindoc

Tindoc Member

2011 CC and 2005 Vegas

There are some under the fairing for heated grips. only on when run switch is on. same thing under the seat

4. spusheck

spusheck New Member

cross country

thanks guys! i took the fairing off and found the old 12v power to low beam which has new wiring for the upgraded hologen bulb... i wired to that and it works great.. btw.. i also hooked up a zumo gps i picked up from Touratech.com for $660 and used the intigration harness from Victory. its awsome. the directions mute the stereo so i never need to look at the gps while driving... i also purchased the locking gps mount from Touatech and, without tools, nobodys going to be able to steal the gps... great system for anyone needing heavy gps use....thanks again

5. tonygiotta

tonygiotta Active Member

2012 Cross Country

Care to expand a bit on your install? I assumed that using the integration harness it would just be a plug and play installation. If an additional source of power is necessary, isn't the proper location to tap into shown in the install instructions? Also, why did you want to avoid the switched 12V+ on the GPS connector?

6. spusheck

spusheck New Member

cross country

tony... yes, it was plug and play with the victory integration harness. however, when i spliced in the optional traffic antenna to the gps power, which was designed to plug into a power socket but the victory socket does not power down so it would have drained the battery, the stereo speakers would volum down and back up again indicating that the stereo was making some sort of adjustment for the additional amperage, or a short.. so, i wanted to power the antenna with a seperate circuit so i didnt short out the stereo or the gps itself.

7. tonygiotta

tonygiotta Active Member

2012 Cross Country

Interesting. I didn't realize that the traffic antenna was optional. On my Garmin Nuvi, the traffic antenna is integrated into the power cable. I assumed the Zumo was the same way or that it did not have traffic alert capability at all. I was just curious because I currently have my amp's remote turn on lead tapped into the 12V+ on the GPS connector. I was worried that I had created a future problem for myself when I eventually add the Zumo to my setup. I think I should be OK since I don't believe there is enough amp draw on the remote turn on lead to cause an issue. Pretty sure it is just enough to energize a relay. Thanks for the info!

8. KROWBAR

KROWBAR Member

2013 VIC XC

fog light wires near front drivers side of gas tank along frame

9. talltrees

talltrees Active Member

`10 XC Midniht Cherry

Driving / fog light wire is switchable power but onlypowers upon low beam .