VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Okay, this might be confusing, but I'll do my best to translate some info I found online.

The confusion is that in my area, there are two Victory Dealerships. One is Victory of South Florida and the other is Best Buy Vehicles. Evidently the Best Buy Polaris Dealer has been around for more years than the other Best Buy...the electronics retail chain. But that's just a guess on my part.

Here's a photo of Best Buy Polaris:

And here's a photo of a typical Best Buy electronics store.

I don't think anyone would confuse the two...except the tow truck driver who hauled my bike in for service one day and when I told him to take it to Best Buy Vehicles, he thought he was taking it to the electronics chain!

With that said, it's being reported that Best Buy (the electronics chain) will soon be testing selling the Brammo Enertia Electric Motorcycle (if you want to call this thing a Motorcycle) in a few select locations around May 2009. Here's the story from the AutoBlogGreen:

Last September, when Brammo Motorsports got a big chunk of investment money from Best Buy Capital, eyebrows arched with the possibility that the biggest of all Big Box electronics retailers might actually sell the electric motorcycle from their own retail locations. Now that it's been confirmed, the initial disbelief has turned into excited anticipation that the long-awaited fully electric Brammo Enertia will finally be available in May, and at 5 selected West Coast Best Buy locations to boot.

Perhaps most interesting are comments that CEO Craig Bramscher made about the future of the bike. "What we're selling is a lot closer to consumer electronics than to transportation," he said, suggesting that on-board cameras that can link up to the internet would be one likely add-on. Basic repairs and maintenance will be carried out by the Geek Squad crew while more intensive work would be performed at various service centers around the country. If this initial rollout proves successful, Bramscher envisions a time when the Enertia and its future siblings would be available at every Best Buy locations around the world.

I'm sorry, but this story struck a chord with me...and not a good chord. That's because anyone who has shopped at a Best Buy (I'm not picking on them, this just my observation) most likely have dealt with some less than knowledgeable sales people. If you've ever attempted to buy a cell phone from one of the big box retailers, you may have noticed that it can take nearly half a day performing the credit checks, activating the phone and doing all the necessary paperwork.

Buying a Motorcycle is much different than buying an HDTV or a computer. While we all have had various experiences with our bike dealers, I cannot imagine what it would be like to buy a bike from an electronics chain store. There's a lot of paperwork involved in buying a bike for street usage. I can't imagine having a teenager who was selling computers one moment, selling a motor vehicle the next. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but if this test is for real and it is successful, could it become the business model for the future of selling motorcycles?(Do I hear the words "ATTENTION KMART SHOPPERS - Blue Light Special on Aisle 3" pertaining to motorcycles in the near future?).

When I first read that The Geek Squad will be providing service, I thought: That's just crazy! But after I digested that thought, I felt that might not be a bad idea. After all, these guys drive around in their Volkswagon Beetles and maybe they will provide at home service. I guess we'll find out about this later.

So, what's next, will Walmart be selling Ducati's? In this economic climate, I can only guess that anything is possible.

From what I'm to understand, the price of this bike is $12,000. Bargain, huh? In case you're interested, here's the specs:

P.S. Sorry about the intended sarcasm in this post, but I just find this to be a very strange proposition. So, what do you think? Maybe I'm missing something here. Comments welcomed.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

I'm sorry, but this story struck a chord with me...and not a good chord. That's because anyone who has shopped at a Best Buy (I'm not picking on them, this just my observation) most likely have dealt with some less than knowledgeable sales people. If you've ever attempted to buy a cell phone from one of the big box retailers, you may have noticed that it can take nearly half a day performing the credit checks, activating the phone and doing all the necessary paperwork.
But in their defense (and I really hate Best Buys) if you go to one of my local dealers and want to buy for cash you will spend half a day in there also...
I haven't been into a Best Buy in years because of a personal boycott , but can their service be any worse then some I have read about or my own? Hey, I had to get a guy come down from New York (Lloyd) to get my bike running right!

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After looking at the photos more closely, I'm wondering if Conquest Customs supplied the rear fenders? (Just joking of course!).

Also, looking at the specs, that 33" seat height will make this bike not suitable for us vertically challenged riders. But at only 280 lbs., I'm sure it can be balanced with one leg. Heck, some of you guys could probably bench press this bike!

All jokes aside, I do like it when companies think outside of the box. Maybe time will tell that this was a very innovative move. Maybe it won't. I guess we'll see how a $12K electric bike sells when gas prices go back up again. Maybe Best Buy will have the last laugh. I can only wonder if they have thought out how important customer service is to the rider. If you want to try an experiment, attempt to call your local Best Buy and see how many button presses and how long it takes to talk to a real person. Then call your Victory dealer and try the same. If you like, then call Polaris...

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I kinda like the idea of the bike, however, until someone comes up with a bike that will go 250 miles between charges i dont think there is much market for it. I just cant see spending 12 k on something that will only get me 3 towns away. And then i have to sit for 3 hours to get me to the next three.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Commuters might like these.To ride to the bus or train park it and return home.

·
Registered
457 Posts

Trekwolf164 said:
Commuters might like these.To ride to the bus or train park it and return home.
That's obviously the target audience for that bike.
Everything beats having to commute on a bus or pay for a taxi and get stuck everywhere. It's light, it's nimble, it doesn't annoy you all day with a droning thumping engine noise. And it's a nice gesture towards your fellow city folks to try and keep the noise pollution down. Something most of you loud pipers will never even have thought of, i'm sure ;)
People who turn this thing down because it won't take them from LA to Vegas obviously have no idea there's a bike for every kind of ride.
Sell this thing here in Europe, and you have an instant hit on your hands (little cheaper though). Top speed of 90 kph (50mph) is not really a problem either, as long as you stay away from highways (legal top speed 75-80 mph)
And towns aren't 20 km apart either ;)

·
Registered
457 Posts

I'm not saying anyone should trade in their current ride. :)
It's just that there's a time and a place for every kind of transport, depending on your needs. And for some people this could be exactly what they're looking for. It sure beats public transport hands down. Busses are often overpopulated (in this region) uncomfy, warm, rather expensive at times. And it's no door to door solution. Often you still need to walk quite a bit, maybe even in rain. So bring on the mega-scooter or this thing. And you'll get wherever you need to go at least twice as fast and less frustrated :)
I'm not sure i understand the point of people trashing this thing from the very start because THEY don't see a use for it. (i'm not saying that's the case here, but those are things you read on other fora).
That's how it works, if it's not someones personal taste: don't buy it and walk past it. But it's not harming anyone sitting on the shelves in best buy :)
Likewise, a porsche can not be used for hauling your cement mixer around, and so forth...
I'll take something like this over a 700 pound, dynamically challenged, low-sitting air cooled boat every time when having to do a commute around a town with dense traffic :)
About the choices they made for retail, it's not that surprising. Best buy already has a lot of stores, it's just easier to cooperate with a big retailer. Electric vehicles don't need as much maintenance anyway. And if they do i'm sure your local dealer can swap some bearings when that time comes. For more complex issues they will just send the bike back to the factory. The same way they do with televisions, iPods, etc.
It's no different than what some asian manufacturers are trying to do by selling their cars through supermarkets...

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

I am sort of with rider eu, I can see this bike being very useful in areas like New York City and other major areas. Where it loses it's usefulness is in the more spread out areas. I know by me they are using alot of these little electric cars in certain subdivisions, this would be no difference. But at the price I think it would be more economical to buy a Vespa or something similar...
Don

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I owned a Veloci electric bike a few years ago and it was boring to ride. It would top out around 25 mph and was like I stated...boring! If i remember correctly, it sold for less than $1,500...not $12,000.

Yes, we get what we pay for!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
rider_eu said:
It's no different than what some asian manufacturers are trying to do by selling their cars through supermarkets...
They sell cars through supermarkets? Do you know what kind or can you send me a link? You got my curiosity peaked...

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dsjr70 said:
rider_eu said:
They sell cars through supermarkets? Do you know what kind or can you send me a link? You got my curiosity peaked...
Costco...Well, they don't actually sell cars, but they have a car purchase program. My understanding is that they have a deal worked out with dealerships/factories where they can offer you a no-haggle price on many models. In this market though, their deal may not be as good as what you can get from ANY dealer.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Thanks Andy! If you didn't know where there could be an application for this vehicle I think you do after watching that video. 7000 miles on $50 worth of electrical charge. I think it is a idea that may be on it's way into the mainstream.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
If anyone in the Chicago area wants to see one of these, they have one (as of a month ago) in the Idea House at the Museum of Science and Industry.
I thought it looked neat but very delicate.

·
Registered
657 Posts
It's not for me but I hope they thousands of them. It will mean fewer people in cars, making it safer for motorcyclist, less oil being consumed, thus cheaper gas, and less polution, that can help everyone. Additionally, it will spur more creative ideas. We can always use more of that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the bike is made in oregon all it needs is better batteries and it will get some miles to the charge a drag bike that runs here in oregon has two of the motors 8sec 1/4 uses cell phone batts 720 volts thanks Rossco

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.