VOG Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok anyone come across this? I saw one guy in another forum had it back in 2014 but cant bump the thread and I dont like the way the forum runs ;).

My '11 cross country has just started doing this, driving me nuts.

Dealer has suggested bad earth somewhere.

The story so far:

I have moved the ignition switch from the cheese wedge to under the seat, been like it for years but once this started decided to have a look at the cable, found some crud in one of the connectors, AhHa I thought, you mongrel (Aussie) cleaned it, reattached it, stil the same.

Havent overly liked the ignition switch way down there so decided to move it up between the handlebars and the inner facing on the righthand side, another story.

When I moved the ignition switch, I cut and soldered the wires under the tank and used duck and bullet connectors near the ignition switch for easy disconnect if I dont like it there, If I do I will make a more permanent connection.

even doing that to the cable, and checked continuity with multimeter, still the same.

Have found and looked at every earth connector in the book, literaly following wiring diagram in shop manual, checked against multimeter, no bad earths.

I do have the Ipod connector with the coolstream duo, again used it for years, unplugged it, no difference.

What is driving me nuts the most is its a bit intermittent ( watching everyone run and hide) in that it will always do it when I turn the key on and then shut off, either bike running or not makes no difference but the intermittent bit is sometimes it will stop after a minute or two while other times will go on for hours (haven't been that interested to watch it for days yet ;)

Any thoughts? besides chucking it out and putting in a custom job ;)

Regards
Wayne

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Probe those ignition wires against ground, maybe something in the line upstream. Move the handlebars, wiggle the cables and bike while checking and see if the meter shows intermittent voltage. Have you disconnected the ignition switch completely while it was flashing? My thought is that there is always power to certain wires going to the ignition and when you turn the key on, it makes certain connections. If you have any current leaking around your connectors, it could be just enough to induce the problem. Also, do you ever hear an audible clicking when this happens? Could be unrelated to the ignition and a bouncing relay in the radio circuitry. Test this maybe with the front fairing off and lightly tap the radio box with a soft handle of a screwdriver. Maybe it will stop it or even start it up. While there, disconnect the radio wires/connectors and reconnect. Not as likely since there should be no power to the radio with ignition off, but something to look at.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, sorry for delay, work gets in the way sometimes :( thanks for the replies.
Probe those ignition wires against ground, maybe something in the line upstream. Move the handlebars, wiggle the cables and bike while checking and see if the meter shows intermittent voltage.
Have wiggled everything I can find (wire wise) whatever it is isnt strong enough to register on my meter but the screen keeps on a flashing ;( wondering if its a capacitor in the screen itself bleeding power out.

Yeh have looked at the wiring in the ignition switch, nothing seems out of the ordinay, used a spare battery for power and checked with multimeter for outputs.

Have you disconnected the ignition switch completely while it was flashing? My thought is that there is always power to certain wires going to the ignition and when you turn the key on, it makes certain connections. If you have any current leaking around your connectors, it could be just enough to induce the problem.

yeh have had the ignition disconnected and even as far as just used a rocker switch at one stage to eliminate the ignition.

Also, do you ever hear an audible clicking when this happens? Could be unrelated to the ignition and a bouncing relay in the radio circuitry.

No audible sound.

Test this maybe with the front fairing off and lightly tap the radio box with a soft handle of a screwdriver. Maybe it will stop it or even start it up. While there, disconnect the radio wires/connectors and reconnect. Not as likely since there should be no power to the radio with ignition off, but something to look at.

Havent unpluged the radio unit as yet ( will be next step) but have certainly checked the wiring out, wondering if screen has separate power feed inside the loom to the rest of the displays or if same power feed all the way.

Well more to look at I guess ;) hasnt stopped the bike though and battery hasnt dropped voltage so not enough draw to affect it too much. Heres hoping anyway ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so have been away for work and having grandbabies being born so only just getting back into this.

UPDATE:

Was getting battery drain if left for more than a week off tender or not started. roughly 1V a week, enough to stop the bike from starting, man these things need high crank :) without the module plugged in no drain. gotta be it.

After some more searching and wriggling wiring and what not, connect and unconnect radio module obviously fixes the flashing problem as the screen is connected to it so have basically isolated it to the radio module inside the fairing or the screen.

Have pulled the radio module out and going to open it up and have a look, have a background in electronics so hope to be able to see something amiss, if not will be looking around for another known good standard radio setup to plug in and see if its the module or screen (many people have gone the custom route so hopefully find one pretty quick).

My thoughts now is that its a capicitor leaking in the module.

Yes I could just go the custom route (and probably will eventually) but I gots to know why first :)

Be back later with an update.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.