VOG Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed 1.5 inch lowering links on my 08 vegas and have what I think is some belt chirp, or what I call belt chatter.It's not reallya "one time chirp" here and there but more like a series of chirps "chatter".Any way I have searched on the site and have read some mentioning of grinding down some metal on the upper belt housing or Drivegear cover?What exactly is it that I'm needing to grind down?
Also I know that I should adjust the pre-load on the shock but it looks as if the only way to access it is to have to remove the fuse box and possibly the rear brake fluid reservoir? Is there any other way that Im not seeing? What size spanner wrench is needed?
The other thing thatI have read that I need to do is relocate the wiring harness under the rear fender. So I need to remove the rear tire and I assume relocate the wiring harness to the very left or very right of the fender so it doesnt get squished by the travel of the tire. Since I can't get up under there without the tire removed what is used to secure the harness? And how do I relocate?
Sorry for all the questions but for what took about 25 minutes to install sounds like 3 hours to fix... I really like the look but if it's going to potentially ruin something on an almost brand new bike then I would rather remove them and put in the stock links.
Anyone have any experience in alleviating some fo the problems associated with lowering links other than removing them and re-installing the stock links?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I believe you have to grind down the inside of the front cover, but not totally sure on an 08. I do know that it is easier to remove the seat and rear fender to relocate the harness rather than the rear tire.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the seat and fender suggestion. Guess that would be easier on a bike with a belt or chain drive. Easy to pull the rear on a shaft drive.
Is your jackpot lowered? if so did you re-route the wiring harness?

·
Registered
1 Posts
When you lower your bike you will need to run your belt at a tighter setting than factory spec, possibly as tight at 4mm at 10lbs of pressure. Vegas stock belt tension is approx 9mm where a Jackpot which is lower from the factory is approx 6mm, Allignment is also very critical also. The pulley on the new 2008 model should not need any modifications, if you look at your cover vs. a 2007 or prior the bolt location has been moved to prevent it from rubbing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

mhennebry said:
When you lower your bike you will need to run your belt at a tighter setting than factory spec, possibly as tight at 4mm at 10lbs of pressure. Vegas stock belt tension is approx 9mm where a Jackpot which is lower from the factory is approx 6mm, Allignment is also very critical also. The pulley on the new 2008 model should not need any modifications, if you look at your cover vs. a 2007 or prior the bolt location has been moved to prevent it from rubbing.
Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up taking the links out. I'm not sure the lowered height was enough to warrant all the little mods that I would need to complete to make it right.
I may attempt again in the winter when I'm not wanting to ride and can take some time to make all the necessary adjustments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.