1,400 mile trip | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

1,400 mile trip

Discussion in 'Victory Vegas' started by cyclonelou, Nov 8, 2017.

1. cyclonelou

cyclonelou Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    '16 Vegas
    2016 Vegas,Sunset Red,all stock.From central California to northern New Mexico. Did a couple of 500 mile days;anxious to get there and to get home. Friend of mine has an 8,000 acre ranch east of Gallup, N.M.
    Bike ran perfect at all altitudes and speeds. Didn't use a drop of oil. Cruises at 100 m.p.h. easy and @75-80 m.p.h. got 40-45 m.p.g. depending on conditions. A really comfortable ride.
    The bike now has 3,800 miles on it and I hope to have a lot more on it before it's over.
    My wife bought it for me as a 65th birthday present.I told her I could never thank her enough. She said to go ride it because that's why wheels are round. She didn't have to tell me twice.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. firstvictory

firstvictory Well-Known Member

2017 Vegas 8 ball (BBC) and Vision 8Ball (BBBC)
    Wow, your wife has great attitude. Are you all stock including seat? Even with upgraded seat I do not see myself going over 300 in a day without really feeling it. Not in a good way. Maybe I am becoming a pus in my old age.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blowndodge

Blowndodge Well-Known Member

2013 Victory XCT
    We all are becoming a pus in our old age.. I bought a RDL for my wimpy butt.

• Like Like x 1
  4. firstvictory

firstvictory Well-Known Member

2017 Vegas 8 ball (BBC) and Vision 8Ball (BBBC)
    Boy I hear that Blowndodge. I did 640 miles in two days going to biketoberfest and I really hurt afterwards. I can't believe 30 years ago I rode a crotch rocket from Michigan to California. And 40 plus years ago I rode a yz250 on the complete Baja 1000 route and didn't even need any cheese to go along with my whine. After this last trip though I had to hit the hot tub twice a day and I still heard myself making that noise that my father used to make every time you get up out of a chair.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. topcat

topcat Well-Known Member

2011 Kingpin
    Where do you cruse at 100mph and why :22yikes:

6. Blowndodge

Blowndodge Well-Known Member

2013 Victory XCT
    You mean that huff and grunting noise? I got that too! Coming and going!! You should hear me trying to get out of a sand chair! Seriously the very expensive seat made a big difference. I took a 3,000 mile trip this summer and had a 600 plus day and wasn't too f'd up over it. Stock seat I would have just pulled over and shot myself!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    I find that I have to "practice" long distance riding in order for it to have little to no impact. I started this season with 200 mile day trips and ended it with 750 mile days, with a lot of the miles coming from back roads. Maybe if I didn't have a stock seat I wouldn't require as much practice? Although I have to admit, practicing sure is fun!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. cyclonelou

cyclonelou Active Member

'16 Vegas
    1st Victory-Seat is stock as is Vic pass seat w/factory pegs.I have a beautiful luggage rack and had my travel bag positioned for me to lean back on.Worked out really well.
    topcat-I was running 100 in various spots in Arizona and New Mexico during daylight hours.Just for 10-15 miles at times.Certainly not every mile.Why? Because the cool dense air felt good and my bike runs so damn good. Not the fastest bike on this site. Not by a long shot or the fastest on the road.but these Vics were born to run and I'm going to run it, not abuse it.Oh,I do slow down in school zones and through construction zones, of course.

• Like Like x 4
  9. 2edgesword

2edgesword Well-Known Member

2015 Harley Street Bob
    I'll be 65 next month. I've got to show this post to my wife.

• Like Like x 2
  10. primethious

primethious Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    Sounds like a great ride, and respectable days for any bike.
    Your wife's a keeper!

@topcat , There are long highways through this half of the country that are out in the middle of nowhere that are perfect for high speed.

I knew a guy from Montana who back in the 70's had a 280Z with a very hot chevy small block with long legged gears that would go so fast he easily out run a police aircraft (somewhere in the southwest desert). They blocked off the entire interstate at an overpass to stop him and let him know he was being chased. They hauled him in to say hello to a judge. He BS'd with him, and I think he paid a small fine.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  11. cyclonelou

cyclonelou Active Member

'16 Vegas
    Even if my wife hadn't bought me that bike, I still wouldn't be anything without her. I have beyond a wonderful life all due to her.
    About those speeds-there's a lot of nothing out in the whole southwest U.S. And then there's a lot of beautiful country. At times I was going 55-60 just looking at the scenery. But AZ&NM have 75 mph speed limits for vehicles including 18 wheelers. And I guarantee you they run 90ish at times on flat land fully loaded so you better speed up or get out of their way. Don't you know the drivers hate coming to California where they have to throttle back to 55.

12. BobB

BobB Active Member

Cross Country Tour
    I did a 1400 mile 4.5 day trip last year with some 400 mile days. I used a stock seat and I added an AirHawk pad just before because I had bruise my tailbone years ago on another bike and didn't want to take the chance. The Airhawk helped, but still had a sore butt for 2 days after the trip. By mid day each day, my butt was talking to me
    This spring I got a RDL seat. I took 2 trips to VT this year riding 10 hrs a day. While they weren't 400 mile days, I had zero problems. I'm sold on RDL. Expensive, but it worked for me.
    I had an Ultimate on my previous bike after I bruised my tailbone and that was also comfy. To me, the RDL is better for comfort. It a bit flat so you can move around a bit in the saddle. The Ultimate cuped me more in a single spot. You feel like you are in the saddle, not on the saddle (if that makes sense).

13. waterhog

waterhog Well-Known Member

'16 Victory Vegas
    Great ride! Got the same bike but my butt complains after an hour or two. At highway speeds, recommend not pushing past 160 miles. Don't ask how I know. :)

14. sdranger

sdranger Active Member

Victory Vegas
    Sounds like fun. I've found that (I'm 55) if I just keep my ass on the seat I can go a complete fuel range about twice before I whine like a baby for the day. If I stop and take breaks I can go the same distance but I have to get as I call it back in the groove every fricken time.

15. poppamark

poppamark Active Member

2011 xcountry
    My longest ride in one day was 1140 km. But I was only a young buck of 60 at the time.

• Like Like x 1