1/4 turn throttle/ Cruise Control Problem | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

1/4 turn throttle/ Cruise Control Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by Astra, May 1, 2015.

1. Astra

Astra New Member

So last week I installed the 1/4 turn throttle on my 2014 XC.

A few days later I realized the cruise wasn't working. I read everything I could about it both online and in the service manual. It seemed to be the throttle cables, which didn't have enough slack.

Last night my mechanic and I took everything apart again and thought everything was adjusted properly, with one exception....

The push cable doesn't seem tight against the 1/4 turn throttle piece. Meaning, that when you push to close the throttle, the cable bows out slightly and almost seems like it wants to come out of the groove.

So we thought we had it all set. I tested it on my ride home and it didn't work.

When I got home, I went through the troubleshooting procedure in the service manual and everything checked out. I though after the procedure, maybe it would be reset.

Riding in to work this morning, I had high hopes of it working properly, but no can do.

The cruise is still not working.

I'm fairly certain it has to do with the push cable, but I'm unsure how to fix it.

Any help is appreciated.

2. tglenn387

tglenn387 Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 Victory Cross Country
    Did you adjust and tighten up the cables behind the right cheese wedge, just under the tank? Also make sure the cables are seated in the bracket there too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Astra

Astra New Member

Yes, Did that.

4. red_bagger

red_bagger Well-Known Member

2012 Cross Roads 116 kit
    What I did was loosen them all the way at bars and at t-body I only loosen the on side . When done I put them back to factory at t-body and adjust at bars till they felt right with some snap to return grip. Never have had a problem.

5. Astra

Astra New Member

We tried again.

Thought everything was good. Cruise worked on my way home. I shut it off by pushing the throttle closed, then after that it wouldn't turn back on.

On the bright side, we also got my amp and speakers installed and fixed the faulty iPod harness going to my lower.

I'm seriously losing my mind about this.

6. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    Cables to tight. Right where the cables come out of the grip are 2 adjusters too. Loosen the jam nuts and screw them all the way in. Fine tune from there. Just had the exact same problem on mine.

7. Astra

Astra New Member

I really hate it when people have an issue and get it solved but never follow up afterwards.

Hopefully this will help others that may have this issue in the future.

As mentioned in my previous post, this issue was making me crazy. To the point that I could not stay asleep. So I got up at 6:15AM this morning and headed out to the garage and did the following.

- Took off the gas tank (for the 4th time this week). [​IMG]

- Took off the cheese wedge.

- Unhooked the cruise control cable.

- Loosened both nuts on both throttle cables

- Unhooked the cruise control housing bracket.

- Took apart the switch housing.

- Unhooked the cables from their holes in the throttle grip and removed the 1/4 turn throttle ring.

So at this point, I was basically starting from scratch....

I examined the 1/4 turn ring to make sure that there were no rough edges and then started to reassemble the throttle with the new ring and attached the cable ends to their respective holes in the grip.

I also unplugged the 2 wires from the throttle switch and attached a multi-meter to each terminal so I could tell if it was open or closed. This is a key to helping solve this issue. The switch will be open if the cable is in the correct spot. If it is closed, your cruise control will not work!

I closed up the switch housing and I could tell that the push cable was bowing out as mentioned in the original post in this thread. I knew that this also had something to do with the problem as mentioned earlier. So I starting playing with the adjustments of the cables on the throttle body, always listening for the "beep" of the multi-meter.

I then re-opened the switch housing and looked at the cables and both of them were loose on the ring.

WTF!!!

Then it dawned on me. In order to keep the cables tight to the ring, I needed to use the adjusters at the handlebars to remove all of the slack that we created to add the ring. This is another key point to get this adjustment right.

So after adjusting the cables at the switch housing, I tightened everything up at the bars. Then I made sure that the switch remained open while tightening the nuts at the throttle body.

Before I put the gas tank back on, I did steps 1-9 of the cruise control diagnostics 19.23 in the service manual to further confirm that everything was set up correctly.

Since everything seemed to check out, I put the tank and seat back on, then I washed the bike.

A short while later was the moment of truth when I took the bike for a test ride. I think I held my breath and said a couple prayers just before pressing the cruise control "on" button, then hit "set".

Low and behold, the cruise was functioning properly!

F*^% YEAH!!!!!

I made sure that it turned off with the front brake, rear brake, and throttle pushed to close and everything checked out just as it should.

SUCCESS!!!!!![​IMG]

Sorry for the long post, but like I said, maybe this will help others out.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. red_bagger

red_bagger Well-Known Member

2012 Cross Roads 116 kit
    I know what you mean about not able to sleep when something bothering you. Glad you got it.

RIDE SAFE.

• Like Like x 2
  9. wvrider1

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    If you would of checked the VOG first, before you ran to the garage, you would of saved yourself an hours work. I tried to help, but am glad you got it. :beer3:

10. Astra

Astra New Member

The fix was actually the opposite of what you suggested.

The issue is that the cables were too loose at the handlebars, not too tight. Thanks though.

11. wvrider1

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    Point being still could of fixed it without pulling the tank again

12. caw391

caw391 Member

2013 Cross Roads Classic
    I am interested in a little more information on precisely where you connected your volt meter... Thanks!

13. KYOTGTR

KYOTGTR New Member

2016 Victory Magnum
    Thank you for this post I will be checking into this. I aint entirely sure what the 1/4 turn throttle ring everyone is talking about. Ill have to pull my grips and see. And me and pretty much anything electrical usually don't see eye to eye but I will pop that on/off switch off and check it out too.