VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if I don't keep the bike on a trickle charger when not riding it. The battery will be drained within 3 days. A victory technician said that was normal for the Vision, but it doesn't make sense to me. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
How old is your battery??

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
if I don't keep the bike on a trickle charger when not riding it. The battery will be drained within 3 days. A victory technician said that was normal for the Vision, but it doesn't make sense to me. Is this normal?
A week or 2 is normal for my Vision.

Do you have a USB charger plugged into the trunk? That socket is hot 24/7 . That would drain it in 3 days.

Or it could be time for a new battery

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
My xct will last sitting in the tin shed for round 3 weeks, but four I am pushing it.... 3 days don't sound right, check all your power sochets... If you are not using them at all even whilst riding, remove the fuse for them and see if the battery lasts for a lot longer.... I had the one (power socket) in the trunk have a little nut thing that screwed onto the tip of a power plug I had in it and didn't notice it had fell off, that thing would sit in the bottom and roll round and randomly short out all the time, replaced the fuse 15 times before I noticed it......

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
The longest I have gone without riding my Vision is one week. She started just fine, no issues. If I had to go another week I would worry a bit. 3 days should be no problem. Sounds like you have a drain somewhere...

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Both of mine can go a week without being ridden and not being plugged in, probably longer. If I come to a time where one or both is going to sit for a week I plug it in just to be safe. Other than that they are never on a charger but I do usually alternate which I ride each day.

I did have that problem one time with my 13. Turned out that the accent light kit I added to the bike was draining the power. I fixed that by turning off the main switch to the lights. Turning them off with the remote and leaving the main switch on would drain my battery in about 24 hours.

Reactions: Ghostrider25

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I don’t have a trickle charger and have left mine sit for 2-3 weeks at various times (usually gets ridden at least 1x per week), never had an issue. Was it a little slower starting, yes, but still fired up without problems and has been fine.

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
wish you would of said if you have extra lights.
yes battery might be bad only way your going to know is have it load tested.
Do you have a trunk and is there a light in it.
Is the fey switch shutting off the power it might not be and the only way you'll know is pull the dash and check connection with multimeter

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Or pressing the switch inside the lid and see if the light is going out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Mine has sat for over a month and started right up. Three days is a problem, not normal behavior.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You need to check for a parasitic draw on the battery. This is done by using a multimeter and setting it on DC amps then taking off the negative battery lead then putting the red lead on the cable and the black lead on the battery and the meter should read less then 0.30 . If it's a lot more then that you have a draw in the system somewhere. This will get you started so let us know. PM me if you need more help.

Dain
AKA the brake pedal guy

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
I have never connected a battery maintainer to my 2013 Vision but replaced my OEM battery last month when I had a hard time starting the bike. It turned out the connectors were not even finger tight so I may have jumped the gun. The winters here can be severe so I sometime go 2 weeks without starting the bike, but no battery troubles at all. Being close to Chicago in terms of weather and climate you can see that I sometimes start the bike when it is very cold outside. 2 days is ridiculous.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I agree, mine has been off the charger for the whole summer sometimes. But have always had it on a battery tender otherwise. Just changed my battery over the summer not because it was bad but because of the 2009 VV I restored needed a battery and since my battery was the original battery for my 2008 Vision ( you are reading it right over ten years old and still having 320cca ) I figured I would put the new one in my Vision. I'm thinking he has some kind of draw on it with the key off.

Dain
AKA the brake pedal guy

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Funny thing. Today I loaded my 13 and go to start it and get a weak try. I dont think I left anything on and the battery is only a couple years old, if that. Just wouldn't turn over. So I had to take the truck on this beautiful day because my 08 has a catch in the throttle I need to look into tomorrow. So tomorrow we're playing with boats and bikes.

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Got home a bit ago and the battery was showing 100% so I took off the charger and tried to fire it up. Just kept chugging without a fire. Then it hit me! Gas! I'm low on gas because of my key mishap. Sat on the bike and got her leanng to the right and she came to life. First order of business tomorrow is a fill up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.