VOG Forum banner

08 victory kingpin tour

2K views 43 replies 11 participants last post by  LEVON106 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about buying this 08 kingpin tour it has 44k on the odometer looks and sounds good but should I be worried about the 44k? And it only 3500$

#2 ·
These Vics only get better with age. For that price I would buy it. Got a picture? Link? Lol!

My first Vic was a 07 Kingpin Tour and I loved it. They are beautiful.

#5 ·
There's a thread on here with members who have over 200,000 on their bikes with just maintenance, no mechanical issues.
Do not let what I'm going to say next put you off; the '08 and '09 were transition years for the fuel injection, I've found that the'06 and '07 bikes were a bit faster than the later models including the 106".
For that price don't let it get away from you.

#7 ·
There's a thread on here with members who have over 200,000 on their bikes with just maintenance, no mechanical issues.
Do not let what I'm going to say next put you off; the '08 and '09 were transition years for the fuel injection, I've found that the'06 and '07 bikes were a bit faster than the later models including the 106".
For that price don't let it get away from you.
My 06 was faster than the later ones but they got way better gas mileage. The new injection was conserving fuel very well but wouldn't let it crank up as fast as the 06-07. But who is drag racing them. That bike will run for another 44k with no issues. You should buy it now if it starts runs and stops. It came with a few grand in extras the standard kingpin didn't have. I assume it has the fender ornament, chrome belt guard, windshield, bags etc.

The bike will drive 80MPH all day without breathing hard.

#8 ·
Good advice here. I bought a 08 KP with 20k on it and had to do the plugs, wires, TB adapter, IAV hoses, etc to get it to run right. Adding an intake and PC3 style tuner got it running just a bit faster than my friends low mileage 2013 stock Hammer 106. They are pretty much neck and neck from a dig, I pull on him a little from a 30 or 60 roll. But just barely.

The bike runs and sounds great now. I absolutely love it and highly recommend you buy this one!

#12 ·
Good advice here. I bought a 08 KP with 20k on it and had to do the plugs, wires, TB adapter, IAV hoses, etc to get it to run right. Adding an intake and PC3 style tuner got it running just a bit faster than my friends low mileage 2013 stock Hammer 106. They are pretty much neck and neck from a dig, I pull on him a little from a 30 or 60 roll. But just barely.

The bike runs and sounds great now. I absolutely love it and highly recommend you buy this one!
Thank you for the input I ended up buying it last night rode it 2 hours home no a single hiccup. Where might I find the valve you are referring too?

#16 ·
Also remind people Victory is why Indians are so good now

Reactions: walks35
#17 ·
Loosely related and a true story. A couple weeks ago we were at a popular bike stop in Woodstock (Illinois) called Red Mill. Whilst we're dismounting the Pin a guy climbs out of a Slingshot and starts a conversation on how much he likes my bike which I very much appreciated.

Then he asked, "didn't Victory go out of business? What happened?"

I replied with a smile "You did."

Polaris still sells Sling****s out of Woodstock and sure he bought it there. He took my reply as the sarcasm I intended and we laughed it off then went in and had a beer.

#18 ·
This is getting off topic, but a Good friend of mine at work just bought a really nice brand new Indian Vintage Dark Horse 111. It's extremely obvious to me that this bike was largely derived from the Victory Cross chassis. The engine is beautiful, as is the whole bike. But with some very minor changes, mostly cosmetic, it would've been the next Cross Roads

#23 ·
You have $3500 worth of add ons. You see KP's going for more with less. The tour is a nice find. Have fun making it your own.

Reactions: Bloodhound
#24 ·
FYI,,,for some reason the steel frames like to loose their side covers. NO,,, YOU WILL NOT find replacements quickly and easily. I would replace the rubber gromets or at least check. Some guys put some shrink tubing on the studs to make them bigger.

#28 ·
If the airbox has any wiggle to it, that's a good sign that the adapter has failed.
If it runs like a watch you should be good? Just have a good look at all of the rubber.
It runs perfectly smooth only issue I see so far is that the handlebars are loose. Do you know how big I can go before I have to start replacing cables? I was thinking 12" tbars

#29 ·
Did you check both riser bolts & tree just case PO moved & didn’t tighten

#31 ·
The inverted forks change your un-sprung weight. I wonder how odd the steering will feel with a tall T-bar. I don't think the cables will make it up that high.

You can order the isolators and spacers for those bars via Polaris and many other folks I believe. The old ones are not easy to get out by the way.

#32 ·
Try searching this forum, or a google search which will likely lead you to this forum, for victory riser bushings. My 07 Kingpin had loose bushings and I replaced them with the bushings for a 09 model Kingpin. They come in separate pieces and are very easy to install and fixes the problem. However the original 1 piece version needs to be pressed out (somewhat of a challenge). Somewhere on this forum a member listed the ball joint removal tool that can be borrowed from auto zone and it will work for pressing out the old bushings. The cheap and quick fix is to put large washers on the riser bolts on the bottom of the top triple tree. It’ll make the bars nice and solid but probably eliminates some dampening the rubber provided. Since Victory’s don’t shake like a Harley it probably wouldn’t be a big deal.

#33 ·
Try searching this forum, or a google search which will likely lead you to this forum, for victory riser bushings. My 07 Kingpin had loose bushings and I replaced them with the bushings for a 09 model Kingpin. They come in separate pieces and are very easy to install and fixes the problem. However the original 1 piece version needs to be pressed out (somewhat of a challenge). Somewhere on this forum a member listed the ball joint removal tool that can be borrowed from auto zone and it will work for pressing out the old bushings. The cheap and quick fix is to put large washers on the riser bolts on the bottom of the top triple tree. It'll make the bars nice and solid but probably eliminates some dampening the rubber provided. Since Victory's don't shake like a Harley it probably wouldn't be a big deal.
Don't believe the washers are a good idea. The two piece urethane bushings are as solid as I want to have 'em. You can make a simple cheap puller with threaded rod some washers and a couple of sockets. One washer/socket small enough to go through the hole and one big enough that it won't. The two piece bushings are easy to install.

#38 ·
#43 ·
Treat it like a penis, clean it & lube $hit outta it before ya go wristing on anything

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.