VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wiped out my '07 Kingpin and am looking at replacing it. I found a mint 2012 completely stock with no accessories and 7000 miles for about 800 less than insurance is paying for my 2007 Kingpin Tour which has similar miles on it. By the time I add bags and a tac i'll end up with a little more expensive bike ..... is a '12 any better bike than an '07?

·
Super Moderator
26,155 Posts
I would say so. The 12 will have a 106 with a six speed trans.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To clarify my question a little I'll explain my limited knowledge of the two bikes. The 07 has 9.8:1 compression and a 100 cu inch engine with a 6 speed. The 12 has a 106 with a little lower compression ratio, I believe it's 9.4:1. I suspect the '07 might do a little better on fuel? There was some changes to the six speed transmission but I don't know what they were? I'm not sure if the '12 I'm looking at has it or not but electronic cruise control is available for the 2012 model where as it isn't possible for the '07. (Is cruise control standard on the '12?) What about anti lock braking? What is the stock torque and horsepower rating of the 106 engine?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
The 12 trans has the positive neutral finder, meaning while stopped in first you pull up on the shifter and you will get neutral, nothing else. To get it back in 1st you must cycle the clutch first.

Cruise was offered as a dealer added accessory. ABS was not offered in the states on the steel frame Vic's .

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Approximately...
Rear wheel numbers for the 100: 75 HP and 93 Tq
Rear wheel numbers for the 106: 80 HP and 96 Tq

The 100 had open loop fuel injection, a 5800 rpm rev limit and no top speed governor.
The 106 had closed loop FI with O2 sensors, a 5500 rpm rev limit, and a top speed governor in 5th and 6th gears (a little over 120 mph).

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
If you loved your 07 pin and want to replace it there's nothing wrong with the 12. Personally I think the 07 was a better bike overall, but there's nothing wrong at all with the 12. You do have one advantage with the 12... you can get performance enhancers a bit easier for it. You could get a set of Torque Tubes for it and a Maximus tune and have a pretty decent running bike... add a set of Lloydz cams and you have something that will really put a grin on your face. Exchange the pistons for some high compression or larger displacement and become the coolest kid on the block. :)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Performance wise there isn’t enough difference to make an argument for or against either of them.....stock. The 2012 will have the advantage of having better access to the timing gear. On the 07 you’ll have to pull the primary off to access it the 12 you’ll just pull the right side cover and go to work. Also the 12 will have the ability to use the Maximus tuner and the Power Vision. Say or argue what you will about either of those but there’s something great to be said about using an ECM tuner vs a piggyback type tuner. I’ll choose the ECM tuner every time. The 07 will probably shift nicer and that “neutral finder” is a gimmick if you ask me. If you need that feature then you need to ride more. And if you’re interested in an 11 that’s well cared for with US saddle bags I’ll sell you mine.

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
The biggest difference as far as I’m concerned is that the newer models can be tuned with a Maximus.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I By the time I add bags and a tac i'll end up with a little more expensive bike ..... is a '12 any better bike than an '07?
The 12 has a tach. You toggle to it with the button on the left handlebar.
I have an '11 KP and it is the best handling bike I have owned and I have been riding since 1967.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
07 gone. 12 available with extra money to burn. What you waiting for?

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Not sure on that one.. the one thing I CAN say won't cross from one to the other is the roll bars.. the oil cooler is different from one to the other.. so the way they mount is different.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended passing on the '12. I'm planning on buying my '07 off the insurance company and putting it back on the road after replacing a few broken parts. It won't be quite as pretty as it was but it should still be a very nice bike. In the process of looking at replacing the Kingpin I sat on a 2016 Cross Country Tour. That may have been a mistake. I think there is room for two bikes in my garage.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I ended passing on the '12. I'm planning on buying my '07 off the insurance company and putting it back on the road after replacing a few broken parts. It won't be quite as pretty as it was but it should still be a very nice bike. In the process of looking at replacing the Kingpin I sat on a 2016 Cross Country Tour. That may have been a mistake. I think there is room for two bikes in my garage.
I went that route with a Cross Country. I just couldn't keep two in my small garage, kept the Kingpin . I just bought a 2011 Kingpin and the one big difference is the transmissions. The 2011 shifts much louder and feels cruder than the 04. I thought the newer trannys were suppose to be smoother. One positive note is neutral is easier to find. I will get use to the tranny.
Good luck with getting her back on the road, everything damaged can be fixed. There is something to be said about loyalty, even to a bike.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I went that route with a Cross Country. I just couldn't keep two in my small garage, kept the Kingpin . I just bought a 2011 Kingpin and the one big difference is the transmissions. The 2011 shifts much louder and feels cruder than the 04. I thought the newer trannys were suppose to be smoother. One positive note is neutral is easier to find. I will get use to the tranny.
Good luck with getting her back on the road, everything damaged can be fixed. There is something to be said about loyalty, even to a bike.
Well...
I ride my kingpin and vision both 2012, for me I can typically Snick every gear, let my friends ride either one and I hear em banging away quarter mile up the road... Shifting up over 3k rpm, shifting down below 2k RPM, I can barely touch my clutch lever, and tap the shifter with the edge of my boot and almost silent...

I tell em they should be riding like they stole it, "it's not my bike, I don't want to break anything" I tell them that loud banging noise is breaking ****!!!

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
The 2011 shifts much louder and feels cruder than the 04. I thought the newer trannys were supposed to be smoother. One positive note is neutral is easier to find.
Is the neutral finder worth all the rest? How does a manufacturer make the transmission worse over time? Aren't they supposed to improve the machine with time? It doesn't make sense that a 2004 transmission out-shifts a 2011 transmission.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Performance wise there isn't enough difference to make an argument for or against either of them.....stock. The 2012 will have the advantage of having better access to the timing gear. On the 07 you'll have to pull the primary off to access it the 12 you'll just pull the right side cover and go to work. Also the 12 will have the ability to use the Maximus tuner and the Power Vision. Say or argue what you will about either of those but there's something great to be said about using an ECM tuner vs a piggyback type tuner. I'll choose the ECM tuner every time. The 07 will probably shift nicer and that "neutral finder" is a gimmick if you ask me. If you need that feature then you need to ride more. And if you're interested in an 11 that's well cared for with US saddle bags I'll sell you mine.
How about a 2010 with 100 and 5 speed for timing wheel, is it in the cover on right or...pull primary? Thx

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.