VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am new and happy to be on the forum. I am retired Army and live in Topeka Kansas. I recently purchased my 06 Vic TC. I put gas in for the first time and added a little seafoam. I might have added a little too much. I rode it about 3 miles parked, but about 30 minutes later or would not start. It has been a week now. I drained the fuel, installed and new fuel pump and filters, cleaned the throttle body, and changed the spark plugs. Still won't start!? Can anyone help an old Vet out?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Sir, how might this mess with it sparking?
Adding sea foam wouldn't mess with ignition it's just a standard part of a check list for a no start.

Engine is turning over but no start, correct?
Any backfiring?
Does it try to start then quit?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
If it's backfiring you have spark BUT it may not be coming at the right time or only one cylinder may be firing.

Pull both plugs,
What do they look like? Clean or black sooty? If black sooty go buy two new plugs.
hook them back up to the plug wires,
lay the threaded part of the plug onto metal,
crank engine
Do both plugs fire? (should not fire at the same time)
Is the spark quality the same for both plugs?

CAUTION: Do not spray start fluid when doing this also before hooking plugs to wires crank the engine over a bunch to clear any fuel in the cylinders.

Reactions: jedi-mcfly

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Already have new plugs. The old were black and sooty...Will do the spark test you told me about. Can I get the plug wires from any auto shop? Auto zone etc., or special for victory?

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
Already have new plugs. The old were black and sooty...Will do the spark test you told me about. Can I get the plug wires from any auto shop? Auto zone etc., or special for victory?
...nothing too special about the plugs or wires for old Vic bikes : you mentioned in post 1 you cleaned the throttle body, any chance a wee wire is off/broken/not plugged in?

starting fluid -or- ether is convenient but something I would use sparingly on my bike anyway :)

·
Registered
2,346 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
don't give it gas when trying to start it. Try starting with clutch pulled in make sure your in neutral. Keep battery on charger. by chance did you have plug wires off and plug back into wrong holes

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...nothing too special about the plugs or wires for old Vic bikes : you mentioned in post 1 you cleaned the throttle body, any chance a wee wire is off/broken/not plugged in?

starting fluid -or- ether is convenient but something I would use sparingly on my bike anyway :)
I found a green thin wire by the pcm/ecu just hanging I cannot locate the place to bolt it back on

·
Registered
130 Posts
Any luck with it rknight? I assume that you're getting the fuel pump priming noise when you turn the key on before hitting the starter button.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ruh-roh. I have the FSM... and your same model bike. I can look up what wire that might be tonight after work.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.