VOG Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought 05 Vegas and too much snow to ride it. Only 4k on it. Sat at dealer for quite awhile. Changed oil and filter first. Quite dirty for 4k miles. Have started it several times and let it run for five minutes at a time. I use the fast idle and it smokes quite a bit till it is idled back. Is this normal? It would also pop quite a bit. Cleaned the plugs. They were black but not oily. Is this normal for a Vegas? I suspect it needs a tune up. Runs better and doesn't pop near as much the more I run it. Sure would love to get it on the road. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Rookie

·
Registered
3,229 Posts

Most of the smoke is prolly condensation, and nothing to worry about. I know there is an overwhelming temptation to start it up just yo hear it run, but remember this. Even with the high idle on the ECM is flat dumping fuel on until engine reaches 125f. This means that you need to let it run until you can feel temp in the cyls. Failure to do this will foul the plugs a little more every time you start it; until finally it starts popping like you described

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

Hi Rookie,
I would bet it isn't smoke but condinsation that's coming out of the exhaust. This happens when the outside temperature drops. I would also not start it untill you are ready to ride, letting it run for just 5 mins allowswater to build up in your exhaust plusit will foul up the plugs, another thing do not blip the throtle with a cold engine let it warm up before you ride.
Enjoy

·
Registered
274 Posts
while you're doing some winter maintenance might be a good time to clean up those throttle bodies too. Hit me back if you have any questions on how to do this. I know how you feel about the snow, could uses a little warm weather here too.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Welcome aboard Rookie! Luv the name takes the pressure off me LOL

These guys have steered ya right!! They the best Vic Know-It-Alls there are!!

Not to worry. start shoveling and clear a path for that bike!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for all the info to everyone that replied. To hntr4life I would appreciated any info on cleaning the throttle bodies. I'm a relic. I only know how to clean the plugs and set the points. All this new technology is mostly over my head. I would like to get a service manual for my 05 Vegas. Anyone know how I can get one like what the mechanics would use. I like to take everything apart to see how it works, but only with a manual. Bike went back to the dealer today. It's still under the 30 day warranty and they need to fix the signals. Pretty lonely around here without her. Better sign off before I cry all over my keyboard.
Rookie

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
rookie said:
Thanks for all the info to everyone that replied. To hntr4life I would appreciated any info on cleaning the throttle bodies. I'm a relic. I only know how to clean the plugs and set the points. All this new technology is mostly over my head. I would like to get a service manual for my 05 Vegas. Anyone know how I can get one like what the mechanics would use. I like to take everything apart to see how it works, but only with a manual. Bike went back to the dealer today. It's still under the 30 day warranty and they need to fix the signals. Pretty lonely around here without her. Better sign off before I cry all over my keyboard.
Rookie
Rookie,
For the throttle body cleaning check out our (spider) he's local he can help you through it also.
Cry now and get it over with, cause once your on board you will get your Grin back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.