'05 KP windshield glare | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

'05 KP windshield glare

Discussion in 'Victory Kingpin' started by BBQJOE, May 11, 2018.

1. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    05 Kingpin
    I noticed the other day with the sun in just the right position, my windshield became a glarathon.
    It was so bad, that I was quite uncomfortable with even riding, and almost pulled over to wait for clouds or the sun to burn out or something.

I have a white tank, with a chrome cap. I'm not certain which is the bigger culprit, but I suspect the cap assembly.

At the same time, there's the windshield height.
    Right now, I'm definitely looking through it. Some like that, others don't. I'm not sure, until right up to this point which has me wanting to cut the windshield down to nose level, which also concerns me because I do like to ride sometimes with my face shield up, and I feel safer with the added protection of the windshield.
    But then again, looking through a windshield in a downpour is quite problematic.

I did read in here about a Cee Bailey product, but they don't do that anymore.

What have any of you done about all this?

Thanks.

Joe

2. kaitiff

kaitiff Well-Known Member

14 XC/07 KPT
    I hear you about the glare.. I have a white or cream top to my tank and I get that sometime as well. I made sure to keep my windshield height on my KP to have the top about dead even with my eye line looking straight forward. That just works for me. I can easily see over or duck behind a bit with not a lot of movement.

Not sure if there is something that could cut down on the glare to the backside of the shield... possibly getting a smoked shield.. or maybe a 'bra' to cover the tank?

3. topcat

topcat Well-Known Member

2011 Kingpin
    I have a white tank on my KP.
    If your gas cap is causing glare problems it can be removed with 5 screws and painted flat black.
    I had to do that with a 2008 Kawi Nomad I had.
    As for a windshield, I have a Clearview with a light grey tint and the recurve top.
    It is set at midnose height and throws the wind up and over my helmet.
    I do not get any glare from my shield or tank.

4. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Active Member

05 Kingpin
    I have considered painting the cap, but I'm not certain if the is a gas proof rattle can out there.
    I also sent an email to an outfit that makes Bibs, asking if they could make one with a velcro closing flap that would cover the cap.

Edited to add: I see that most engine paints are gas proof.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  5. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    On my 07 KP I had the chrome fuel door and a bib. I also had a full fairing. Even with the bib I had issues with the sun reflecting off the gas door and gauges. So if you're only thinking about a bib because you're trying to stop the reflection I'm not sure it will really do anything. While it bothered me it was only at certain times while heading certain directions so I never did anything about it. I considered it the price of chrome. That bike had a ton of it.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  6. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Active Member

05 Kingpin
    The thing is, if you're heading somewhere, you can't just change directions to get there.
    I'm going to try painting the cap flat black to see if that helps, but I also think the white tank exacerbates the problem.
    I'm going to look at lowering the shield, and if that doesn't work, then I'll cut it down, or maybe put some velcro on a round piece of leather and adhere it to the cap.
    I gotta do something though, riding a bike and not being able to see....well that's a problem right there.

7. stilcrazee

stilcrazee Well-Known Member

'12 Black XR
    When I had my 08 KP I had the same issue. I wound up removing my chrome gas cap, painting the original flat black and reinstalling. as for other glare from the handlebars and risers and back of the speedometer..I wrapped black duct tape on it all. Looked kinda crappy but it worked.

8. h7wae14t

h7wae14t Well-Known Member

2009 Kingpin
    Get a good pair of polarized riding glasses.

9. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Active Member

05 Kingpin
    Dammit!
    Why didn't I think of that?

10. walks35

walks35 Well-Known Member

2004 Victory Kingpin
    I had the same issue and occasionally still do but I replaced my windshield a few years ago with a 15" from 7jurock (7JuRock) and slightly changed the angle of the shield. The angle probably helped more than anything else. That won't help with the color of your tank though. Glare off a white tank is what it is. I've thought about trying some flat Plasti Dip on the cap but have not got around to it yet. For $6 a can it might be worth a try.

11. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    I've got several pairs of these now and I'm really enjoying them. I don't like changing lenses so I keep two sets on each bike, one for day and one for night. I have three sets of these and have had zero issues. They're honestly the best glasses I've ever had for riding and they're cheap. I've used Oakley, Bobster, Victory, and a few others.

Maybe @MagVic CCT can chime in and say what he thinks about them.

AULLY PARK Polarized Motorcycle Riding Glasses Black Frame with 4 Lens Kit for Outdoor Activity Sport https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M9J1UKU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dLM9AbFYXEB32

This is the thread I made for them.
    https://www.thevog.net/threads/riding-glasses-lighting-deal-on-amazon-4-hours-left.131697/

12. MagVic CCT

MagVic CCT Well-Known Member

2000 Nomad : 2012 Victory CCT
    Sure. Happy to put in my .02 worth. In a word, I like the glasses. Right now I only have the one pair, so I don't have the luxury of not changing lenses. But, VVB is right. They are cheap enough and sturdy enough that having a second pair is not a big deal. Easy to use, and the different lenses are very effective.
    The one problem I do have seems to be the same problem I have with almost all sunglasses. My head always is a bit too wide for the frames. It is very hard for me to find a proper fit. These are just a bit tight for me (but so is most everything else). However, that said, they don't move around either, and I get a good seal. Hearing about keeping two pair, my next move will be to get another one.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Active Member

05 Kingpin
    Part of my problem is that I need RX glasses to drive.
    I pulled out a broken pair of polarized RX glasses I had, and gave them another breath of life.
    It's a 90% improvement.
    I think I'll leave the windshield alone for now.

But this does call for a nice ride down to Los Algadones for a few pairs of new glasses.