VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pick up this 04 KP for a winter project.

I have wanted a KP for a while, and found this one on the net for a good price.

This will make the forth Vic to come into our garage.

00 SC(Sold)
05 Vegas 50th Ann ( Had full one off Custom job done to it) (Sold)
07 Vegas 8 Ball ( My better half's bike )
and now 04 KP.

The bike was not is the best of shape. Dirty and had been rear ended sometime in the past. This I knew when I bought it. But some things done were a surprise. Nothing to serious.

I got the bike off the net. Canadian bike, Not E-bay, and had a buddy (a KP Owner) check it out on the sellers end. So I got it with out acutally seeing it myself. Now my friend did a good job of checking it for me but you can't tell all for a once over.

The rear fender had been repared but needed to be replaced ( was out of shape and weighed about double what it should have. Lots of body puddy.), Headlight and bucket, Throttle grip, and a couple of other small things.

I got some parts off e-bay, 04 rear fender with Santa Rosa Choppers Lay down Plate holder and singles. Black hand controls (new) Black Side rails(New), Swingarm off 08 KP (new take Off) rear axle (New take off) (not sure if I will use these), Headlight and bucket, along with a few other things.

I wanted a 8 Ball KP but when this fell into my lap I figure why not just make my own. Now it is going to take a while to make it a total blacked out KP but I figure I can do at least 90% of the work myself. Some out sourcing will have to be done for power coating, but the rest I should be able to do with some helping hands.

So if you want to follow along and see where it starts and where it finishes your more than welcome.

Bike as it was advertised on the net.

First day home.

No that is not a oil leak. Used an old piece of cardboard that I had used for an oil change on my last bike.

The guy I bought it from didn't clean it as you can see all the dirt and grim on the bike.

The start of the strip tease...... Play Def leppard music "Rock On"....

One nice hack job on the rear wiring harness. Told ya there were surprises.

Rear fender off finally

Someone used a trailer wiring harness to create a new rear wiring harness. Creative, but they hacked off the plugs.

Getting ready for paint...
The new used rear fender, won't stay red for long. Net pic.

Fenders primed and ready

Tank almost done.

Please stand by,,, More to come.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
That's a BIG project. Good for you!! Commitment & dedication. I'm sure you will create a diamond in the end. Looking forward to the progress.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Can't waitto see more. This is gonna be fun to watch as you take this beauty to the finish line.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Rossco, Just checked and yep it came from OR, and yes it does have a V on the top part of the frame.

Small world,

Thanks for the donor. Will look better Black anyway..

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your comments. Yeah it seems like a big job, but I put in a hour or two when I can. Doing lot's of OT at work until 31 Mar. so that will make it even harder to get it done on time. Time will tell....

I should be painting the body parts this Sunday. Will post pics once I get that far. Then the extras will get done.

Not sure if I will leave some chrome or not. The swingarm that is on it now is chrome, might leave the Valve covers and swing arm shiny and black out the rest of the engine. Will decide once I get the body out of the way. Not much room in the garage so have to do in stages.

Cheers for now. Time to get back out there.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Nice reddog! Looks like fun.
Are you doing the body parts in all black, as well?
Silver denim? Flat ferrari red? would look nice with blacked-out
engine/chasis.

Keep us posted....you've got the entire site waiting with baited breath!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep all the body will be black.

My better half has red flames in her bike. Looks good, but been there, done that. Just going will straight black on mine.

Although your right red does goes well with black.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
So how is the re-build going? Us snoopy people wanna know :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well seeing you asked Bored76, I just took these last night.

Here are a couple of pics,

From Blue to Black

Rear Fender, No longer Red. Sorry Rossco. But thanks again for the donor

Front Fender

Tank, front brake master cylinder and Speedo cover.

Handlebars are now black now too. Just forgot to take pic of them.

Still have a few parts to Paint, Headlight bucket, Gas cap, Brack lever bracket. everything has been Primed.
Will get the rest painted this weekend then have to clear it all. Will post more pics of finished paint.

Once the painting is done I will move onto fixing that nasty hack job of a rear wiring harness. Change the rear tire and clean up the rest of the bike.
Not sure if I will Powder coat the engine parts, paint them or leave them. hmmmm choices, choices.

This has been a test,
Please stand by

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dirtbag_700 said:
looks great,can't wait to see the finished product
are you doing it all yourself?
Thanks

Yep been doing it all myself so far anyway. Painting in stages. As you can see in the pics Not much room in the Garage.

All the parts are now painted and will hopefully clear them this weekend.

Everything is coming along slowly, but steadily.

Might enlist Kevins help when I do the engine upgrade. But I think that will be put off until next year.

Early spring and already riding Mamas' bike so I want to get on the road soon.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok here is the next installment.

All painting is completed and cleared.

Wiring fixed.

Black Controls, Had to switch Wires as I got the newer controls.

Lights work.

Bike back together.

Road test was yesterday at approx 5 pm

Put on approx 60 KM (40 Miles)

Still some small stuff to get done Like paint the cheese wedges and the exposed metal on the back rest etc. but for the most part she is done for this year.

Next winter will be blacking out the engine and front end and rims.

That will be another project along with the engine upgrade.

For now it is time to ride and enjoy the summer on the bike.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I was thinking about doing the cheese wedges the other day. Thought about painting them black myself. I was going to sand the Chrome, primmer then paint. What you thinking? Nice job by the way!!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Looks good. Happy riding

·
Registered
265 Posts
Looks real good. I like it just the way it is. if it were mind (which it is not) I would not black out the rims. Need just a little shiny metal.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.