VOG Forum banner

Yamaha's new bike. June 5th.

58K views 548 replies 107 participants last post by  sjaskow 
#1 ·
Have you guys seen the ads for Yamahas new bike? The planned reveal is June 5th. Hopefully more interesting than Indian showing a "new" bike with red paint and a big wheel.

#111 ·
Those Stratoliners are torque monsters, can't believe they never stuck in a six speed from the get go. As much as I don't like push rods those big single tubes holding both the intake and exhaust P rods looks much better than the HD pair per cyl IMO. Actualy a good looking engine, again IMO.

#3 ·
#140 ·
Reactions: Dan in Mt.
#4 ·
Well this is interesting. Can't wait to see what she looks like!

#5 ·
Looks like they are getting into the more fancy bagger scene.

#6 ·
It is going to be interesting to see what the other manufacturers bring out in the next year or so. I'm sure they are all going to be trying to pick up some of what would have been Victory customers. I'm not surprised that Yamaha is one of the first to bring out a new model since they dropped the 1900cc bagger a while back. Kawasaki and Suzuki probably won't be very far behind since they both dropped the big cc baggers too.

With the new European emissions, most of the bikes on the market are going to have to be redesigned to meet the new standards. Should be lots of new models, dropped models, and redesigned / upgraded bikes coming out soon.

#8 ·
All my prior bikes were Yamahas.
650 special
750 Maxim
Roadstar
Had my CCT for several months before selling the Star. After getting used to how easy the Vic was to turn the Star just wasn't up to it. The Star would also drag parts way sooner than the Vic.
The 5 speed on the Star was smooth, but a 6th gear on highways would have helped.
Zero probs with any Yamaha.

Reactions: bikendad
#9 ·
Yup, Euro 4 is a bike killer. I hear Honda has discontinued the 600cc engine because the market is down and they don't see the benefit of completely redesigning the engine just to meet the standard. Didn't seem to stop Yamaha or Suzuki as they have come with all-new models of the type. Be that as it may, I will be looking on with interest to see what this new Yamaha touring machine is all about. The little video segments are nice teasers!

#15 ·
I had a 2007 VStar 650. Small but a very good bike. I'm interested in seeing what they come out with.

#16 ·
You know, these guys at Yamaha are pretty smart and have been on quite a roll as of late. Everything they have put out lately has been a success. The R1 and R6 are kicking ass on the street and on the track, They have arguably the best bike in MotoGP, The FZ family has been a big hit, The FJR is legendary, the Super Tenere... Just great momentum.

So I think these guys have been studying the big bike market now for a while and have possibly been working on this new touring machine for a while as well. They have been gathering input from customers and possibly even riders of other brands, looking at what others in the industry are doing and are ready to spring something that could be pretty special on us here. I don't think they would do this if they were not confident that it would be a success. The timing is interesting as well with this new machine coming out not even 6 months into the demise of Victory.

I will keep an open mind and see what gets unwrapped. If it's a good enough machine that has the features I want, I will ride one and see what happens.

#18 ·
Now that I watched the video on my computer, that 4 headlight set up looks like it will be a fixed fairing bike.

#19 ·
I had a 1100 Silverado classic for awhile that I re-jetted ect that was a really nice bike. It will be interesting to see what is introduced, hopefully not all hype like some other company I know :(.

#23 ·
Where are you guys finding the specifications on this new model? I can't find the numbers on it

#24 ·
I am guessing they are speaking of previous attempts at a well rounded touring bike, @roadcouch.

#26 ·
It's pretty bad that Yamaha can do their own version of the Rushmore project but Victory can't listen to their own customers and then close up shop because of lack of sales. I wonder if this new bike from Yamaha will have a cast aluminum frame integrated Bluetooth audio with a more contoured and streamline faring, GPS, with better bags… Basically a Yamaha cross country or perhaps a cross country-esque bike with a fixed fairing. Because God knows nobody on these forums ever asked for anything like that from Vic.

#27 ·
So let's see here:
a cast aluminum frame ................................... Quite possibly
Integrated Bluetooth........................................ I believe it will
a more contoured and streamline faring........ Absolutely it will
GPS ................................................................... You know it! Or it will be an option
Better bags........................................................ No doubt about it
A fixed fairing..................................................... Strong possibility. I am hoping for a frame mounted fairing as well

The new machine will most likely come in different trim packages, the buyer can choose which one is best for him or her. Pricing will be in the low to mid 20's, which is a leap for Yamaha, but makes sense when we consider what we are asking for. Again, this is all pure speculation, but it's fun to do this. I wish the Sh!theads at Polanus would have had more sense. But whatever, one look at this Derp tells you everything you need to know

• Winner
Reactions: jwfuchs1
#29 ·
I just rode a Super Tenere for the first time the other day. I'm keeping my Judge, but I'd like something good for some distance, but still fun. I like the idea of taking the Tenere off pavement in the NC mountains and/or if I get out west...just not sure how a 700 mile day on the highway would feel.

This new Yamaha is very intriguing. I owned a Banshee for a few years and it was a fantastic quad.

#30 ·
Smart move on Yamahas part knowing there's a another space available for a touring bagger in the market place. Also knowing many don't want either Indian or Harley.
If they do right with styling and features including a powerful efficient power plant it should sell well. The Bagger scene is and always will be hot.

#35 ·
Smart move on Yamahas part knowing there's a another space available for a touring bagger in the market place. Also knowing many don't want either Indian or Harley.
If they do right with styling and features including a powerful efficient power plant it should sell well. The Bagger scene is and always will be hot.
I think this would be more of a Honda Goldwing, Kawasaki Vulcan, Suzuki Boulevard or even the new BMW K 1600 B competitor and more of a Harley or Indian alternative. I'm excited to see what they push out but a Japanese bike won't ever be a viable competitor to Harley. Indian won't either, Indian is also an alternative to HD. Victory was HD's only true competitor in the past 100 years.

#32 ·
I would consider another yamahaaaaa. Great bikes. It was down to the star 1300 and the Vic. I made the right choice but I will be watching for this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.