VOG Forum banner

XC Ape hangers. without changing cables???

38K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  New_vic_owner 
#1 ·
ok before anybody tells me not to get apes because of handling or comfort, i put over 10,000 miles on my last bike with apes and could scrape the pegs through corners and do figure 8's on the riders course. now that i have prevented any replies against my personal preference lol, MY QUESTION IS, what apes can i put on my XC without changing wiring? and does that include not having to change my cruise control and radio control? anyone who has done this please respond, and btw, im looking for black barsm thanks!!!

#2 ·
Since I haven't installed them, I suppose I shouldn't tell about the gorilla bars you'll find on the attached page.

#4 ·

Not sure what fits a CC but riding with mini type apes is probably the most comfortable position to have your arms. No numbness in the hands or fatique in the shoulders. I think most are just scared of them because they see all these choppers with 6' bars on them and a guy reaching to heaven to hold on...

#13 ·
jdt3 said:
got the hmd bagger bars , just put them on , i like them alot and think he look great , good feel and position
Did you take off the whole fairing or just the facia and lift it a little ?

#19 ·

I know this thread is a little older. I'm just about ready to buy Kewl Metal's Meat Hooks. They are a fatter/Meatier bar, with a great look. However they are a tad spendy. IMO the bars are worth the extra money. The main problem i'm having is if I want the best look possible I need to buy +8" on all my cables. Then running the wires inside the bars for a cleaner look. The cables will cost anywhere from 250-300. xtending cables and running the wiring through the bars might be getting out of my techincal range. So all said and done, I would be spending 900 dollars then 10 hours to install them.

So I'm racking my brain, thinking Gorilla Bars looks great a lot of people have them. Or go with the meatier KewlMetal MeatHooks cleaner look with wiring inside the bars. Would look amazing but spending close to double the money. EEEEEK Decisions, decisions. :)

#20 ·

tommyarmour said:
I know this thread is a little older. I'm just about ready to buy Kewl Metal's Meat Hooks. They are a fatter/Meatier bar, with a great look. However they are a tad spendy. IMO the bars are worth the extra money. The main problem i'm having is if I want the best look possible I need to buy +8" on all my cables to be able to run them inside the bars for a cleaner look. And those will cost anywhere from 250-300 for the cables. xtending cables and running them through the bars might be getting out of my techincal range. So all said and done, I would be spending close to 1,000 dollars if I paid to have them installed.

So I'm racking my brain, thinking Gorilla Bars looks great a lot of people have them. Or go with the meatier KewlMetal MeatHooks cleaner look with cables inside the bars. Would look amazing but spending close to double the money. EEEEEK Decisions, decisions. :)
So your looking at routing your throttle cables, brake line and clutch cable internal? Not impossible but not fun either..ha ha. I have the meat hooks myself and just did the wires internally and that cleaned it up dramatically.

#21 ·

beast30 said:
So your looking at routing your throttle cables, brake line and clutch cable internal? Not impossible but not fun either..ha ha. I have the meat hooks myself and just did the wires internally and that cleaned it up dramatically.
I watched a you tube video about using a chain. You run the chain through then tie tape the wires to the chain and have someone help you pull the chain while the other guys pushes everything through.

I worry about the cruise control, ABS, stereo wires. Just seems to be tough for a first time bar swap. I don't think I would do it alone. Probably go to a couple of guys in my club and see if they might want to help out. :) Or pay the damn stealership. :)

You have any pics, or a video of the finished product?

#23 ·

kevinx said:
I hate the term "Stealership". We are just people trying to make a living while serving our customers; to the best of our abilities.
I use that term loosly. Since I entered the Victory world here in Oregon, I have ran into road blocks in getting work done at the dealership's. They have tried to charge me 3x the amount that other Victory mechanics charge for jobs I requested. One of which were my recent CAM job. I ran into Dyno nightmares, significant overcharging, and so on. I chat and talk on facebook, to lots of great vic mechanics. I certainly don't mean offense to people or dealerships like your's KEVIN. I just wish that there was more talent like yourself closer to the Pacific Northwest.

I have also had a few great experiences at dealerships. I for one am more than willing to pay top dollar for a great experienced Victory mechanic. Just can't find any close enough. ;)

I'll keep that word specific to my experience's and not throw it out there in general. My sincere apologies.

Tommy

#24 ·

tommyarmour said:
I watched a you tube video about using a chain. You run the chain through then tie tape the cable or cables to the chain and have someone help you pull the chain while the other guys pushes everything through.

I worry about the cruise control, ABS, stereo wires. Just seems to be tough for a first time bar swap. I don't think I would do it alone. Probably go to a couple of guys in my club and see if they might want to help out. :) Or pay the damn stealership. :)

You have any pics, or a video of the finished product?
It's not as easy as you think. That chain they show on you tube breaks pretty easily. Use chain to pull through welding wire or a thin cable. Use lots of lube.

#25 ·

Dirtydan69 said:
It's not as easy as you think. That chain they show on you tube breaks pretty easily. Use chain to pull through welding wire or a thin cable. Use lots of lube.
That's exactly why I'm not going to attempt it. LOL

That's why my money is going to either a dealership, or a club member that wants to split a 12 pack and try not to hurt my baby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.