Wiring the Vision for a trailer

Discussion in 'Victory Vision' started by ironhead, Jun 13, 2013.

1. ironhead

ironhead Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Victory Vision
    Okay I am expecting my wiring harness any day now. I have my Vision up on a jack and I still can't see how to run the wires down an under the Vision to the trailer hitch. I have looked up underneath it and the tail lights are enclosed, so I can't run them from there out. Could someone please tell me where their wires are run. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Fitz

Fitz Member

Victory Vision Tour 2008

I run my wire by the right side of the seat. I use the wiring diagram from the shop manual. I don't use any electronic device for, only direct connection from the wire to the trailer connector. If you don't have the wiring diagram it is a bit difficult to connect. If you have it, look carefully and all the wire color are easy to find into the wiring of your bike.

hope this help

Fitz.
  3. ironhead

ironhead Member

2013 Victory Vision

Thanks for getting back with me. I don't think I will have a problem wiring it, but how did you route the wiring from the trailer hitch up and under the seat. That is what I am trying to find out. I haven't seen an opening anywhere to do that.
  4. Fitz

Fitz Member

Victory Vision Tour 2008

Look carefully on the right side, the seat removed, you will see a small route to the bottom of the rear end, I use tie rap (2) to attach the wire to the trailer hicth in the rear wheel well.

Fitz.
  5. Fitz

Fitz Member

Victory Vision Tour 2008

[​IMG][​IMG]

some pictures takenfrom the installation.

Fitz.
  6. ironhead

ironhead Member

2013 Victory Vision

Thanks, I guess I have never seen it. I was going to take the tail lights out and just hook everything up there but after getting my bike up on my jack I saw that they were fully enclosed. So I started looking under the seat and saw nothing there. I didn't know what I was going to do. Thanks so much.
  7. ironhead

ironhead Member

2013 Victory Vision

So you didn't use an isolator to get the power from the battery for your trailer lights? And did you not have to have an adapter to go from 5 wire to 4 wire?
  8. ironhead

ironhead Member

2013 Victory Vision

9. Fitz

Fitz Member

Victory Vision Tour 2008

The bike original harness I used is under the handle colored plastic plate (right side), if you look at the picture, the harness at left come from the under red plastic plate, and, if you looknear the white wire (it is a part of the trailer harness), you can see the wire loom going down on the far right. I use a 5 pin connectors with no converter, it work perfectly.

Fitz.
  10. ironhead

ironhead Member

2013 Victory Vision

Well this is very interesting. Am I understanding you to say that there is a harness on the Vision for a trailer already, or is this the wire harness that leads to the tail lights. I have heard about a harness that is prewired for a trailer on the Vision but I have yet to find it on my bike and I have had the seat off several times.
    I hate to sound dumb but you mentioned that you used a 5 pin connector with out an adapter or converter as you said. So tell me how you went down from the 5 wire to the 4 wire pigtail on the trailer. I appreciate all your help.
  11. CncChief

CncChief New Member

Vision

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I bought the connector and made a plug in wiring harness. I went down the right side of the seat, there is no wiring going thru that side. I use a 5 pin connector thru an isolator in the base of the trunk. In hindsight, I would have made the harness so one end pluged in where it currently is and the other end in the opening further back that you can see in the pic. You can also do the mod to make 4 brake lights always work if you wish by not putting the wires in the two positions required(I believe positions F and G). Positions A,B,C, and D arefor brake, running, left, and right turn(not sure of which is which I used multi meter to figure it out).
  12. ironhead

ironhead Member

2013 Victory Vision

I appreciate this very much. So tell me one thing. Were you able to slide the 4 pin trailer plug down under the right side of the seat and out to the trailer hitch? Or did you have to cut the plug off to get the wires down and then splice the plug back on?
  13. wdwurker

wdwurker New Member

2011 Vision Tour

I recently went through the same frustrations you are experiencing now.
    Some people swearing that their harness had the pigtails already in place for a trailer, others claiming that they didn't use an isolator and still others claiming that you must use an isolator. You got me!
    I ended-up installing an isolator (once wired in I 3M taped it to the front side of the right saddlebag.
    Since my trailer (Lees-ure Lite Excel) uses a five wire plug, I didn't need to convert anything.
    On My Vision... I tapped into the harness running along the right side of the seat, all the wiring you need is right there. I ran the plug wires along the same harness and between the saddlebag and taillight.
    I did this in the winter so the bike was stripped of the seat, trunk, various body panels. I wish I'd had my lift back then, would have made parts of the job much easier.
    What hitch did you go with?
  14. ironhead

ironhead Member

2013 Victory Vision

15. Fitz

Fitz Member

Victory Vision Tour 2008

At first, I'm french with some difficulties in english. Sorry if I misleadingyou. I don't have any ready for trailer harness in my Vision. I've had done some welding to connect the trailer harness to the bike harness, I didused heat shrink to isolate all opened wires after welding. I diduse a 5 pin connector, not a 4, and I connected everything without converter. The bike harness can carry the extra load of current asked by the trailer bulb, no problem.

I used the wire harness page to know the color code of the wire. I had to run the harnessfrom the under rear to thetop because not enough roomfor a connector.

hope this help

Fitz.
  16. ironhead

ironhead Member

2013 Victory Vision

Hello again, and thanks for getting back with me. I got my 119190 wire harness Friday. I have taken my seat off again and now have my bike up on a jack. I have found a place on the right side of the bike, underneath the wiring harness that you showed in your picture, that I can velcro the circuit protector to and keep it out from under the seat. I will be able to run the wires from there down and to the trailer hitch. I just have to figure out a way to keep them up and away from the drive belt but I don't think that will be a problem but who knows. The worst thing about what I have bought is that it didn't come with any instructions, so I don't knwo which wire on the isolator goes to which wire on the bike. I have emailed etrailer.com with my question so maybe they won't take too long it getting back with me. I am ready to start traveling!!!

Thanks for your patience and your help!
  17. Oldman47

Oldman47 Well-Known Member

2013 black Vision

Well done Fitz. Your communication was very clear, bien fait.
  18. Fitz

Fitz Member

Victory Vision Tour 2008

[​IMG]

Thanks, I'm doing my best without googles translate...

Fitz.

PS:trailer attached last week end.
  19. wdwurker

wdwurker New Member

2011 Vision Tour
    Ironhead.... As promised, photos of my arrangement. You'll notice in the ( under the bike looking up ) shot, there is a shiny spot on the hitch plate. That is where I had originally placed the plug, using both screws, but the rear bracket that holds the safety chains made it a bit crowded. My solution was to just mount the plug using one screw which allows the plug to swivel. I apologize, I can't seem to get the pictures to load using my iPad. I'll try again later from my desktop.
  20. ironhead

ironhead Member

2013 Victory Vision

I didn't get any pictures. Sorry. I will try to post mine.