Why Victory over Harley?

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Taylor7701, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Taylor7701

Taylor7701 New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Researching motorcycles
    I'm a new rider and have just ridden friends bikes as I've gotten my license. I'm looking to buy a new bike in 2013 and curious why Victory fans like/ love their bikes and why they ultimately bought a Victory over a Harley. I live in Milwaukee so they obviously own this market. Thanks for your insights as I begin my motorcycle journey.

2. Putter

Putter New Member

'09 Hammer

For me it was four main things. The first is a matter of opinion but the other three are hard for anyone to dispute.

1. Looks
    2. Reliability
    3. Less vibration
    4. it was different. (I wasn't ready to join the herd.)

But, if you like HD better, go buy it. It's your money.

3. FlaMike

FlaMike Member

2013 F6B (mine) 2013 Vegas 8ball (hers)

Well I've been riding for 35 yrs, owned many bikes, of which 6 were Harleys. I liked my Harleys but never bought into all the lifestyle bs. No company has ever paid me to ride their bikes, so I buy and ride what works for me. A motorcycle is a motorcycle, nothing more or less. You should buy what works for you. If you've "always wanted a Harley' by all means, do it. You might like it, you might not.

I know that Vic's are far ahead of HD from an engineering standpoint. I can't think of one area that my RoadKing was better than my CrossRoads. But buying a motorcycle is largely an emotional purchase, logic takes a back seat. Maybe in mycase it was a been there, done that kinda thing.

For me, I really started looking at Vic's when the Visioncame out. Didn't see me buying one, but when the Cross bikes came out I really liked the CR. Windsheild, hardbags and not much else. When they came out with ABS and cruise, and of course, afterthe test ride... I just had to have it. And I don't think I'll miss the Harleys and really don't see me getting another one. But ride what makesYOU happy.

4. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin

What is more important to you, the objective or the subjective?

Subjectively, Harleys are 'cool' and look nice.
    Objectively, the Vics are better engineered, more powerful, have a more competent chassis, and cost usually $1000 less than a comparable HD.

5. bikerbob

bikerbob Active Member

2012 Cross Country Tour

Go to YouTube and type in Victory vs Harley. There are 5 videos that will answer your question.

Good luck in what ever you choose.

6. SRF2665

SRF2665 Member

V-Star 650 & 2013 XCT co-owner w/Puddlejumper
    1.It was way better balanced than HD, therefore easier and more enjoyable to ride. 2. Bigger more powerful engine. 3. More reliable and better engineering. 4. A very different look than what people expect to see. Draws way more attention than any HD. Ride one and you'll see for yourself. The motto is true. Buy what YOU like though no matter what others say.

7. 11VICXC

11VICXC Member

11' Cross Country/14' Indian Vintage #953

2013 Victory Judge vs 2012 Harley Fat Bob

This article should help as well as the hp/tq comparison dyno chart.
    http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/13328/Motorcycle-Article/2013-Victory-Judge-vs-2012-Harley-Fat-Bob.aspx?WT.i_e_dcsvid=536203552

Here is the comparison dyno chart.
    http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/83375/Motorcycle-Photo-Gallery-Photo/2013-Victory-Judge-Comparison.aspx

The 2013 Judge was the “King of the Dyno” in this cruiser comparison, putting out 8.15 lb-ft and 17.19 hp more on the DynoJet 200i.

With an MSRP of $15,349, the 2012 Harley Fat Bob loses the pocket book skirmish as it costs $1,350 more than the base Judge.

Still, the 2013 Victory Judge handily wins the horsepower battle, will chirp the tires in the first couple of gears, handles sharper than the Fat Bob, and has stronger brakes. Its suspension is dialed in well, too, and it has an edge in the most important categories. Throw in the fact that it has a base sticker price over $1300 less than its Harley counterpart and the Judge edges out the Fat Bob by a slim margin in this cruiser comparison.

8. firelttim

firelttim New Member

Victory Vision Tour

For me I wanted the Harley Road Glide Classic or Ultra. Being 6 feet 7 inches tall with 38 inch arms, I liked the handlebar position and floor boards. However, the wife hated the vibrations on her lumbar from the ultra tour pak. so we tried the classic with a tall sissy bar, same thing, the vibrations caused her legs to get numb within 10 miles.

We tested the Victory Vision on a demo days, and 10 minutes into the ride, she tapped me on the shoulder saying she was done looking. she'd found the bike that was comfortable for her. we went back and bought it.

I'd say try them all, and then put all the brands and hype aside, ask yourself which bike did you and whoever is planning on riding with you like the best? for me the Vision came with everything I was going to have to add to a HD standard.

The other thing I considered was buyer satisfaction. Why is it that every HD dealer has more than 50 used HD's on their lot? are their owners really that disastisfied with them that they spend thousands of dollars to customize them and then trade for a newer HD model, perhaps one with less vibrations or more powerful engine?

Ride everything you can, rent demo days, etc. then decide which is best for you.

9. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    Shopped both, got a lot more for my money with the Vic. Higher tech engineering, better suspension, better engine, more power, not good at being a sheeple. Reliability and cost of maintenance/ownership were a big factor for me as well.

10. Lostintexas

Lostintexas Active Member

Cross Country Tour

I'm impressed. In a lot of places the dogpile would have already started. The engine is of a more reliable design. I have never been a fan of any pushrod engines. Hd has a track record of lifters and valves going south at a relative low mileage, but many claim to have "never had a problem" so for what that is worth. Ask the mileage for the I've had it for 5 years guys too.
    Cost of ownership and ease of repairs and maintinence are a big thing too. Go to the shops and ask the cost of an oil change, belt replacemant, clutch replacement, starter, and the cost of the 5-10-15-20K service. If you are a DIY'er then the cost would be less for a lot of things, but you get the idea.
    HD has a lot of strong spots, but I wanted something that would deliver 100K with no drama and not costing me a lot to get there.
    Do your research and decide for yourself. Enjoy the ride.

11. Half_Crazy

2006 Kingpin
  12. WhiteWolf

WhiteWolf New Member

Cross Country Tour

I could not have said that any better!

13. Half_Crazy

2006 Kingpin

This is funny... No offense, just funny no matter who ya are...

14. WhiteWolf

WhiteWolf New Member

Cross Country Tour

My opinion is much the same that has already been said.

* Improved engineering its a newer fresher design that givesimproved horse power and torque.

* Rider comfort, the chasis is better designed and allows for more range of motion for driver comfort and adjustablility to different sized riders

* Cost is a little less for what you get

* Here is a point that is more personal opinion but I enjoy ridingsomething a little different and not being just one of the pack. When I show up on my Vic people seek me out to talkabout it because its different.

15. Half_Crazy

2006 Kingpin

I'm just gonna say it.

The magazines do comparisons and they marginalize the performance differences. They will say "On the road the performance is about the same" or "the 1/4 mile difference is only half a second" which kills me. If one bike has a dozen more horses and weighs 50 lbs less... that is not insignificant... and a half-second margin of victory at the end of the 1/4 mile is winning by like EIGHTY FIVE FEET.

The articles usually end with "for our money, we'd buy the Harley" (add some words like "genuine", "mystique" and "heritage").

If you really read the comparison, the Victory is the clear winner. Lighter, more potent, longer/better qualitysuspension, more rigid chassis, lower seat, more storage, higher carrying capaciry, more room for rider and passener... youname it.

That said, HD wins on dealer network, available factory and aftermarket accessories... no contest there.